RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

REAL

Jun 10, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 1 (608 views)
Shortcut

Red River 06/20-23
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey All,
I'm heading thru RRG for the weekend of June 20-23 (Sat-Tue). I'll be in Tenn for one of those days, then back to the Red. I'm considering a guide since I am a newb and do not have all my gear (rope/quick draws/helmet) nor any outdoor experience. Been looking at ropes for a few weeks and I can have everything by then if needed. Any recommendations as to getting my own gear and trying to hook up with some climbers down there, -VS- putting my money toward a guide instead and having the knowledge as opposed to the gear? Here's what makes it difficult: my main climbing partner has a great deal of experience and will teach me everything I need to know, but it will be over a month or more before he and I can get outdoors together, and I will be in RRG 10 days from now.

Furthermore, and I guess the reason I'm posting here in the gatherings section; is there anyone else in the area that weekend skillfull enough to climb with and willing to take a newb out for the weekend to some of the lesser routes or allow to tag along with their group. In the gym I'm climbing up to .9s and having a very tough time with .10s these days, though I was hoping to keep it simple and chill this weekend for my first trip outdoors and not wear myself out on the first few routes. (i used to do strong .10s in the gym before i had to stop - I just recently got back into climbing again)

Any contacts, thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been recommended to check out Miguel's while there from my local gym, and found Jeff @ truenorthoutfitters as a possible guide. He seemed great on the phone, I'm just trying to be as good as i can with my money at this point, and gas near $3 a gallon again isn't helping. hahaha If I do the guide now, I may not get the rest of my gear till late summer.

humble and appreciative,
-james-

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook