Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sedona - Single pitch routes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

agdavis

Jun 11, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2235 views)
Shortcut

Sedona - Single pitch routes?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Central: Sedona_Spires)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As my girlfriend doesn't feel comfortable climbing multi-pitch, I am looking for a few single pitch routes under 5.10. I will be out there next week with the family and was hoping to get some climbing in...any suggestions? I looked through the routes listed here on rc.com, but haven't really had much luck...

Thanks in advance

bill413

Jun 14, 2009, 8:05 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] Sedona - Single pitch routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The hairpin turn...ummm, don't remember if it's going from Phenix to Sedona, or from Sedona to the Grand Canyon...but there are top rope climbs below it.

Bret

Jun 15, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On 89A about a half hour or so north of Sedona up towards Flagstaff is the Oak Creek Overlook, I think that might be what Bill is referring to. For single pitch routes of 5.9 and under that's probably your best bet. The Church Spires in Sedona has a number of 5.10 single pitches, but not much that's easier and I can't think of another area that has multiple 5.9 and under one pitch routes in the area...

I'd say that if she's not comfortable on multipitch, the Overlook might be the way to go. Check out Mountainproject for good beta.

climbsomething

Jun 15, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that Sedona can be warm. The Overlook might be cooler, but it's also a sunny crag. Sedona forecast highs are in the mid-80s and up for the rest of the week, with the possibility for rain over the weekend.

bill413

Jun 15, 2009, 6:19 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bret] Sedona - Single pitch routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bret wrote:
On 89A about a half hour or so north of Sedona up towards Flagstaff is the Oak Creek Overlook, I think that might be what Bill is referring to. For single pitch routes of 5.9 and under that's probably your best bet. The Church Spires in Sedona has a number of 5.10 single pitches, but not much that's easier and I can't think of another area that has multiple 5.9 and under one pitch routes in the area...

I'd say that if she's not comfortable on multipitch, the Overlook might be the way to go. Check out Mountainproject for good beta.
Thanks Bret - Oak Creek Overlook was exactly what I was thinking of.

lvpyne

Jun 15, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking for something in Sedona proper, you might try Uptown Crag -- right in downtown Sedona. Lots of single pitch sport stuff with a good mix of ratings. http://www.mountainproject.com/...ase=Uptown+Crag&

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.65 (10% off)
$17.55 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook