Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Jun 8, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #51 of 1159 (28284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Well, if you don't use the tree then it's definitely a short person's route. Of course, Mitch might clearly be a better climber than me, too. Tongue

Ummm, we both "used" the tree, that is, we clipped into the tree and traversed underneath and out to the right. Stuck in a piece of pro during the traverse and reached over the lip.

I don't know...I just thought the climb was really really fun, with a great set of roofs. Once over the roof it was "happy" climbing all the way to the ledge.

Now I am looking for more of the same...any suggestions?

Gmburns2000

Jun 8, 2009, 1:13 PM
Post #52 of 1159 (28269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Well, if you don't use the tree then it's definitely a short person's route. Of course, Mitch might clearly be a better climber than me, too. Tongue

Ummm, we both "used" the tree, that is, we clipped into the tree and traversed underneath and out to the right. Stuck in a piece of pro during the traverse and reached over the lip.

I don't know...I just thought the climb was really really fun, with a great set of roofs. Once over the roof it was "happy" climbing all the way to the ledge.

Now I am looking for more of the same...any suggestions?

Sorry for the confusion. By "use" the tree I meant use it as a hand hold. I felt very scrunched up when not grabbing the tree, which is what I did the first time I climbed it. The second time? I said screw it and wrapped my hands around the trunk.

But I agree the roof and everything above is fantastic. I really liked that roof.

As for similar, I found the roof on P3 of Maria to be fun. It's a bit committing and feels exposed, but it's really good.

If you want scrunched, then try P2 of Yellow Belly in the Nears. That's committing, too.

Gmburns2000

Jun 15, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #53 of 1159 (28237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a new TR up - Bonnie's and Birdland; the pump that keeps on giving

I'm hoping the next post will appear soon, but it won't be on my blog. I'll send that link around when I get to it.

I'm also hearing rumors of another TR, regarding a meth labCrazy, coming soon. Can't wait for that.

hafilax

Jun 15, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #54 of 1159 (28229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a good Weekend Warrior break through Saturday and this seems like as good a place as any to put the experience into writing.

I seem to have developed a pattern of pushing my leading grades on long multipitch climbs which I'm sure is a little bass-ackwards. This year I've punted around the local bluffs climbing up to 5.8 but the opportunity to climb the Squamish Buttress plopped on my doorstep on Friday so I had to take advantage.

The Buttress is mostly easy climbing with one delicious 10c headwall pitch at about pitch 11 of 13 that day (we linked a lot of pitches at that and unintentionally simulclimbed one but that's another story). I hemmed and hawed the whole way up but I have to admit that I really did want that lead. I had heard that it was tough and had seen photos but seeing it in person was exciting.

I have a lot of sport psychology issues the greatest of which is a fear of failure. Falling I can deal with but it is the prospect of the disappointment that comes with failure that pulls the rug out from under my confidence. This is probably the reason why I'm more willing to push the grades on multipitch. There will be fewer people around as witnesses.

This was the hardest I have fought for a climb to date. I battled the little voice that wanted to lower and hand over the lead which is something I have done in the past. Getting past the point of no return gave me a clarity of purpose that I haven't felt on a climb in a long time.

The climb is sustained to say the least. I got completely pumped about half way up just in time for the real crux. I lucked out with gear, randomly pulling a piece off the rack and miraculously finding a place for it as well as a fixed nut followed by a fixed pin which took some of the sting out of the crux. At one point the voice of doubt asked to be lowered but I knew that climbing the whole route again was not an option. I was too pumped and the easiest way out was up. I was falling upward as Mark Twight likes to say.

I followed my usual strategy of feeling things out, developing a plan and an objective and committing to getting to that next stance. I placed a lot of gear although my partner kindly said it was far from excessive. I fell onto the fixed nut when a loss of concentration led to a foot popping off of the smear that tenuously held me in place in a stem. The climb took me a long time. It wasn't straight forward and I milked the rests as much as possible trying to fight off the ever building pump. My forearms were solid stumps by the top.

I doubt I would have flashed the climb given how I barely made it even after the sizeable rest I took after the fall. By the top I could barely hold onto the biggest jugs or even pull the trigger of a cam. Pulling up the rope turned into an incredible effort. I had no choice but to belay off the anchor since catching even a top rope fall was out of the question.

So there it is. Not as prestigious as a flash but an achievement nonetheless. I would be prouder if I hadn't fallen but in a way the fall was an achievement in its own right. The fact that I committed to the climb and put myself in the position of failure is a huge milestone this year. Hopefully I can build on this experience and eventually exercise the demons of doubt.

Gmburns2000

Jun 15, 2009, 8:57 PM
Post #55 of 1159 (28225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice job, dude. That's a good story, even if you did fall. As you said, it really gave you an experience that may help down the road. Sometimes it takes scaring the crap out of you that gets you to believe it isn't all that bad.

And yeah, I know what it's like to not be able to pull the trigger wire. That's happened to me in the cold as well as with pump.

That was a joy to read.

donald949

Jun 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #56 of 1159 (28192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

I'm hoping the next post will appear soon, but it won't be on my blog. I'll send that link around when I get to it.

I'm also hearing rumors of another TR, regarding a meth labCrazy, coming soon. Can't wait for that.

Some kind of tease I'm sure...

Its over three pages on Word. I'm thinking of breaking it into 3 sections here. I'll try to post it up 1st thing Wed.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 2:02 AM
Post #57 of 1159 (28184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Its over three pages on Word. I'm thinking of breaking it into 3 sections here. I'll try to post it up 1st thing Wed.

A page per post. Gotta do the series thing. BTW - I just saw The Hangover, and this TR sounds like it'll be on par.Laugh

clmbr

Jun 17, 2009, 5:11 AM
Post #58 of 1159 (28173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaah for what its worth... Fun for me and my wife but run of the mill for everyone else I guess.
We weekend warriored it at the usual crag. 2 hour drive and its raining all the way until we get there and magically the rain has gone.
I've got my eye on a project that I solo top roped after quite a few trys over 1 year of trying to lead it and failing to get past the 1st bolt.
My best lead is 5.10d max and this was a 5.8 that seemed like a 5.10 that has spanked many a hopeful. Top roped it again cos I had thought of a slightly different way near the top that would be easier. As it was, imagination had tricked me again and the only way thru the top was across a very thin face, well above the last bolt, onto good holds then mantle for glory.
The crux is at the first bolt tho with a deadpoint reach to a 2 finger pinch on a slight overhang.
I couldn't believe how scared I was on the thin face on moves I knew would go and had practised. Fighting my way thru it, elvis leg going, head cluttered with fear, I battled on...and that was still on top rope. No way could I lead it.
Anyway, sitting there I decided I had to try and lead it. So up.. bang.. crux move held then its up thru a bit of smearing and onto the thin face which was a piece of cake, finishing the mantle and wondering what the fuss was all about.
By then the rain came and it was hometime...Well, tent time anyway. We put up our super deluxe tent , etc for a comfortable tho cold night.

Next day back to the same spot. Full sun and the only place out of the howling wind made it perfect..And nobody else there..on a sunday..
This 5.8 that had grown to almost nightmarish proportion was now my warmup, so did that and showed my wife how to set up for solo toproping, and left her to it, wandering around the crag looking at other projects.
Sure enough she loved the soloing and evey now and then I'd check on her and she'll be talking away to herself, workin out moves, etc.
After that top roped a 5.11a and then it was onto a 5.10d to lead that I hadn't got past the 1st bolt of( yes there are quite a few like that in my resume). Super steep start on ok holds up to a not so good pocket, get feet up onto big pan and the rest is a stroll. Miss the pan, you end up a foot off the deck.
So started off as usual on that route....Hanging off the first bolt. . Then thought well we're here better have a go and went for it...grabbing at anything resembling a hold and just made it with an out of balance desperate grab for the what was luckily the best hold on the route. Was so looking gone I felt the rope tighten slightly as my wife thought I had actually fallen.
So not wanting to spoil the mood we cruised knowing going to send it next time. Not many climbs but great fun.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 1:10 PM
Post #59 of 1159 (28167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbr] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clmbr wrote:
Aaah for what its worth... Fun for me and my wife but run of the mill for everyone else I guess.
We weekend warriored it at the usual crag. 2 hour drive and its raining all the way until we get there and magically the rain has gone.
I've got my eye on a project that I solo top roped after quite a few trys over 1 year of trying to lead it and failing to get past the 1st bolt.
My best lead is 5.10d max and this was a 5.8 that seemed like a 5.10 that has spanked many a hopeful. Top roped it again cos I had thought of a slightly different way near the top that would be easier. As it was, imagination had tricked me again and the only way thru the top was across a very thin face, well above the last bolt, onto good holds then mantle for glory.
The crux is at the first bolt tho with a deadpoint reach to a 2 finger pinch on a slight overhang.
I couldn't believe how scared I was on the thin face on moves I knew would go and had practised. Fighting my way thru it, elvis leg going, head cluttered with fear, I battled on...and that was still on top rope. No way could I lead it.
Anyway, sitting there I decided I had to try and lead it. So up.. bang.. crux move held then its up thru a bit of smearing and onto the thin face which was a piece of cake, finishing the mantle and wondering what the fuss was all about.
By then the rain came and it was hometime...Well, tent time anyway. We put up our super deluxe tent , etc for a comfortable tho cold night.

Next day back to the same spot. Full sun and the only place out of the howling wind made it perfect..And nobody else there..on a sunday..
This 5.8 that had grown to almost nightmarish proportion was now my warmup, so did that and showed my wife how to set up for solo toproping, and left her to it, wandering around the crag looking at other projects.
Sure enough she loved the soloing and evey now and then I'd check on her and she'll be talking away to herself, workin out moves, etc.
After that top roped a 5.11a and then it was onto a 5.10d to lead that I hadn't got past the 1st bolt of( yes there are quite a few like that in my resume). Super steep start on ok holds up to a not so good pocket, get feet up onto big pan and the rest is a stroll. Miss the pan, you end up a foot off the deck.
So started off as usual on that route....Hanging off the first bolt. . Then thought well we're here better have a go and went for it...grabbing at anything resembling a hold and just made it with an out of balance desperate grab for the what was luckily the best hold on the route. Was so looking gone I felt the rope tighten slightly as my wife thought I had actually fallen.
So not wanting to spoil the mood we cruised knowing going to send it next time. Not many climbs but great fun.

See I think there's adventure on those run of the mill days, too. Thanks for this.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #60 of 1159 (28153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And yet another post, except this one is in a different location.

Climbing.com Reader Blogs

PS - I rail on Rumney a little bit in this post. Angelic

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #61 of 1159 (28152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Oops, only the bio is up at the moment. The post should be up soon.

Partner lwilson

Jun 17, 2009, 3:45 PM
Post #62 of 1159 (28143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Gmburns, the blog is quite fun to read! I was thinking of starting one myself, really to keep friends and family in the loop once I hit the road for a few months of climbing. So reading other's stories gives me an idea on how to approach it.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #63 of 1159 (28133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lwilson wrote:
Thanks Gmburns, the blog is quite fun to read! I was thinking of starting one myself, really to keep friends and family in the loop once I hit the road for a few months of climbing. So reading other's stories gives me an idea on how to approach it.

hey, good luck with it. if you make it a public blog, then let me know and i'll follow along. also, if you have any questions, then let me know. i may be able to help a little bit.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 4:51 PM
Post #64 of 1159 (28132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Oops, only the bio is up at the moment. The post should be up soon.

Now the article itself is posted.

Partner lwilson

Jun 17, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #65 of 1159 (28127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
lwilson wrote:

hey, good luck with it. if you make it a public blog, then let me know and i'll follow along. also, if you have any questions, then let me know. i may be able to help a little bit.

thanks, and if i think its any fun, I'll make it public!

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #66 of 1159 (28125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

A page per post. Gotta do the series thing. BTW - I just saw The Hangover, and this TR sounds like it'll be on par.Laugh

Alright, one page per post...

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #67 of 1159 (28122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1:30 AM Saturday morning, and we’re trying to back the trailer into the campsite. Its been a long drive, and we’re tired. The trailer is too far over on the driverside, and keeps hitting some brush. After a couple of passes, it only marginally better, but I’m too tired to fight with it any more. However, it’s also long way from level. I throw a couple boards under the wheels, and its only marginally better. So out come a couple more boards and we’re closer. Close enough for almost 2 AM. By the time we get the beds set up, it is 2 AM.

As of that Tuesday, I was looking for climbing partners, any climbing partners, any climbing location, but no one was interested. By Saturday, I drove 5 hours late at night towing a trailer, and was climbing with 3 other guys in Alabama Hills outside of Lone Pine for the weekend. Wednesday I found Jorge’s post looking for partners for the weekend, I recruited the family, and was set to go. Of course, given that it was already midweek, we were only going minimalist. But I believe that worked out to my advantage, as the wife knows now that works too.

Friday comes, and we have nothing packed except climbing gear. The clothes get thrown in a couple duffels, food packed into a cooler and some bags, and that’s about it. I pick up the trailer on the way home, we pack up our bags, and roll. But by then its already 8 PM, so its going to be a long and late night. After the mandatory 5 hour drive, we’re trying to park the trailer, the kids are running around since they slept on the drive, and I’m beat. But I fall off sometime after 2, and get almost 6 hours of sleep. After herding the kids around in the morning, we head into town, and meet up with Jorge. He’s recruited two late additions, Charles and Jay. They’ve already eaten, and are off to Paul’s Paradise for a couple 5.7ish climbs. We grab a hearty breakfast and meet them there. I notice a couple of low angle climbs that look doable for the family, but they’re ready to move onto Sunday Matinee Wall. Jorge promises there’s a couple of easy routes there, we drive on over, and he points one out.

Sunset Trail, 5.5, Sport Bolted.
Jay offers to belay me as Jorge and Charles look to set up something more difficult further down the wall. Its bolted on the face, and I try to climb it there. But its definitely going harder than 5.5. Eventually I work my way around the corner and its easy, but don’t pull too hard on the big rock wedged in there. It will pull free. I get Mark, my 5 yo, to rope up and he climbs up a few feet, but quickly looses interest. Jake is not interested at all, and Barb is having difficulties with Elizabeth, our 2 yo.
Jorge meanders over and offers me a turn on the 8 they’ve getting set up.

Sand Trap, 5.8/9, Sport Bolted.
Charles is topping out and Jay is belaying. After Charles lowers, I tell Jay to rope up and I’ll belay him, as he’s ready to go and just got done belaying both Charles and me. He is making good work of it, but the guys are giving him lots of beta. Which never bothers me, but is not the usual sop. Turns out Jay had only been climbing since March, so he’s doing quite well on a steep 5.8/9. He gets about ½ up and chunk of rock falls off. Its close to 1 foot by 2, and up to 2 inches thick. It lands about an inch from my shoes, which I’m not wearing since I’m belaying, with a hollow thud. But was impressive none the less.

Jay gets done and is obliged to belay me, as the two other guys are his seniors, so he’s the belay slave. I get about ¾ of the way up, and am feeling the pump. Its step, and strenuous, which is not my forte. I feel myself fade and call falling as I slide off. I shake it out for a minute, put myself back on the rock below where I fell, and finish it. As I get to the anchor I call take quick like and have Jay lower me.

The Alabama Hills book calls it out as a 5.8, but the Eastern Sierra book gives it a 9. Anyrate, the rock fell off at a foot hold, and left loose grit in its place, so that move is harder now. But I don’t think it changed the overall rating of the climb.

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #68 of 1159 (28119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its 2, Barb is now wanting to take the kids back to the trailer, put Elizabeth down for a nap, and we send them off. Jay cleans my anchor on the 5.5, I bum a ride from the guys, and Jorge suggests we get lunch at the The Whitney Portal store. There is some nice granite up at the portal, but I’ve never climbed there and some of it’s big. But Doug, the store owner, notes some nice moderates, which are one pitch bolted, and I’m a little less worried, cause I’m not up for any long hard routes at 3 PM. Heck I pumped out on the one 60 foot route we just did. But it gets too cold for climbing for a bunch of old guys, and the young guy has the thickest jacket on. So its back down the hill for something warmer.

The Split, 5.8, Sport Bolted, Cattle Pocket Rock.
Jorge, jumps on the lead, calls it a 5.9 that fells like an 8. Its got a couple tricky sections and not a gimme, but I think overall its more like an 8 than a 9. Its listed as an 8 here on RC and on MP, so I’ll go with that.

He grunts and groans his way up it, as I belay him up it, but he sends it clean. From the ground there looks like there is more rests than there actually is. There are two cruxes, the start and the finish, but there is a good rest after the start and another before the finish.
Its my turn, and I had gotten an idea of what to do with the start. There is a hand to fist crack that diagonals up, with a couple spots for your feet, some of them thin but they stick. I pull the start and am feeling good. Unclip the draws and climb strong. Get to the rest before the finish and scout the moves. Sloper for the hands, and one thin foot to get to a good foot. Take an extra second, pull on through and hit the anchor. Nice moves, nice climb.

We pull the rope and Charles leads. Another clean send. Jay jumps on and does quite well, again with a fair amount of beta. Its here that I learn he’s only been climbing for a few months. Anyrate, very solid work for 4 months of climbing. Charles wants to finish with a TR of the face route right under the anchors. Chardonnay Champagne, 5.9. It climbs over the bulge that is the diagonal jam crack. He works it out a couple times and then sends it. Solid work. It’s an unprotected face climb, so it’s a TR only, but certainly looked like a good one. If there is something that’s unappreciated these days, is a good TR, everyone wants lead climbs.

We head back to the campground, Jorge and I share a couple glasses of wine, the wife gets back from McD’s with the kids, and we go back to the trailer to put the kids down to sleep right before we fall off to sleep ourselves.

Sunday, we have leftovers for breakfast, and get the kids ready. The guys are headed into town to eat, so I take the family over to Paul’s Paradise to set up the low angle stuff I scouted Saturday.

I set up an anchor with several cams for Barb to belay me up. Its easy, with about a 5.5 move right at the start, and another right below the second bolt. But since Barb has never belayed before, I stopped for a second to think about the upper move. I set the anchor, rap off, and set up the TR. Jake jumps on and flys up. He is really turning into quite the proficient little climber.

Ted Shred, 5.9, Paul’s Paradise.
The guys have arrived and are setting up Ted Shred, 5.9. Jorge comes over and wants Barb to climb it next. She harnesses, laces, and ropes up. Jorge belays her, but she gets nervous and doesn’t get too far. Her feet were only about 6 feet up. Jorge and I give her some nice encouragement, with out trying to be too pushy, before lowering her off. Which she didn’t like too much either.

I’m sent up to clean the anchors, and after a false start with the first foot hold I climb it clean. Excellent climb with good footholds, faceholds, and some finger crack. A gear protected climb, with bolted anchors on the top. Practically a gear sport climb.

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #69 of 1159 (28116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The guys head off to another area, and we want to finish up our climb and pack up for heading home. Jake, Mark, and Barb all get another run up the rope. Mark and Barb only going 10 feet up, but Jake does the full 40 feet. I swing the rope to the left, clip Barb into the belay anchor, and climb another easy climb. Probably 5.6/7 entrance move, with another 5.5/6 move ½ way up. Clean the anchor, rap off, pack up the gear, and we head to town for lunch.

Its getting a little late. We had said we would climb until noon, and its now 2:30. The kids have been chowing down in the car on granola bars and PB&J as we cleaned up the gear. But I’m hungry, so we drive through McD’s for a couple of burgers and chicken nuggets, get back to the trailer and start hitching up right away. Jake helps crank up the jacks, I hook her up, and Barb breaks everything down for heading out. One stop in town for gas and ice and we’re on our way.

Only problem is its 4:30 and it’s 5 hours of driving. Plus there’s got to be a dinner and potty break in the middle. And the quick food stops never are. Plus we’re bucking a stiff head wind. Normally, that shouldn’t slow me down too much, but its added a fair amount of drag on the trailer, so we aren’t making great time. We make Adelanto, with out too many issues. Except for that Ground Squirrel that ran out in front of me, got half way across the road clean, but then doubled back in front of me. I don’t think he made it. Also a couple short step hills made me wonder what was going on, as the Suburban felt completely gutless. In addition to the weight of the trailer and the head wind, apparently the AC sucks up the last of the horsepower.

As we sat in Del Taco in Adelanto, eating and resting, it seemed like a million firetrucks, police cars, and ambulances screamed by. We wondered what was happening, but we needn't wonder, we would find out soon enough. As we rolled out of the shopping center we could see lights flashing ahead. But traffic wasn’t backed up, so we kept rolling. As we got closer we saw what all the excitement was about, a house was absolutely engulfed in flames. Unfortunately, they had blocked off the road and turned us onto a side street. We tried to make our way around, but kept getting dead ended. Driving through a random neighborhood we asked a gentleman how to get to the 395 on the south side of the fire. He offered an easier solution, a cut across east to the 15 south that avoided the whole mess. As we had been trying to fight our way around the fire for over 20 minutes, we jumped on that. Two hours later, almost midnight, we were home, and in bed.

A crazy last minute, two long days climbing trip. But everyone had a good time.

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #70 of 1159 (28108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
The guys head off to another area, and we want to finish up our climb and pack up for heading home. Jake, Mark, and Barb all get another run up the rope. Mark and Barb only going 10 feet up, but Jake does the full 40 feet. I swing the rope to the left, clip Barb into the belay anchor, and climb another easy climb. Probably 5.6/7 entrance move, with another 5.5/6 move ½ way up. Clean the anchor, rap off, pack up the gear, and we head to town for lunch.

Its getting a little late. We had said we would climb until noon, and its now 2:30. The kids have been chowing down in the car on granola bars and PB&J as we cleaned up the gear. But I’m hungry, so we drive through McD’s for a couple of burgers and chicken nuggets, get back to the trailer and start hitching up right away. Jake helps crank up the jacks, I hook her up, and Barb breaks everything down for heading out. One stop in town for gas and ice and we’re on our way.

Only problem is its 4:30 and it’s 5 hours of driving. Plus there’s got to be a dinner and potty break in the middle. And the quick food stops never are. Plus we’re bucking a stiff head wind. Normally, that shouldn’t slow me down too much, but its added a fair amount of drag on the trailer, so we aren’t making great time. We make Adelanto, with out too many issues. Except for that Ground Squirrel that ran out in front of me, got half way across the road clean, but then doubled back in front of me. I don’t think he made it. Also a couple short step hills made me wonder what was going on, as the Suburban felt completely gutless. In addition to the weight of the trailer and the head wind, apparently the AC sucks up the last of the horsepower.

As we sat in Del Taco in Adelanto, eating and resting, it seemed like a million firetrucks, police cars, and ambulances screamed by. We wondered what was happening, but we needn't wonder, we would find out soon enough. As we rolled out of the shopping center we could see lights flashing ahead. But traffic wasn’t backed up, so we kept rolling. As we got closer we saw what all the excitement was about, a house was absolutely engulfed in flames. Unfortunately, they had blocked off the road and turned us onto a side street. We tried to make our way around, but kept getting dead ended. Driving through a random neighborhood we asked a gentleman how to get to the 395 on the south side of the fire. He offered an easier solution, a cut across east to the 15 south that avoided the whole mess. As we had been trying to fight our way around the fire for over 20 minutes, we jumped on that. Two hours later, almost midnight, we were home, and in bed.

A crazy last minute, two long days climbing trip. But everyone had a good time.

Heh. That's a good lesson on how to teach the kids that meth labs in the house are BAD!

Still, sounds like you had a nice time, got a lot of climbs in, and still managed to let the kids have a good time. Does the Donny get mad at 2am when the trailer doesn't park correctly, or is he a "fuck it," kind of guy? Laugh

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #71 of 1159 (28102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Heh. That's a good lesson on how to teach the kids that meth labs in the house are BAD!

Still, sounds like you had a nice time, got a lot of climbs in, and still managed to let the kids have a good time. Does the Donny get mad at 2am when the trailer doesn't park correctly, or is he a "fuck it," kind of guy? Laugh

Very good, you got the high dessert town Meth lab connection. Tongue
I wouldn't say a I got a lot of climbs in, but I got enough in. I kept busy climbing. Also, I'm really enjoying having my son and family climb with me.
I'm more of a fuck it, its good enough kind of guy with the trailer.

Follow up on the trip. The drive home I got about 10 mpg. Mad
The wife really enjoyed the trip. The kids and her got to play in the creek Sat afternoon. Also, she really loved the veiw from the campground of the Sierras.

Here is Charles on the Split, he loaded a couple pics already on MP. CC goes up to the right past the bulge/small roof from where his right foot is:

Gmburns2000

Jun 17, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #72 of 1159 (28096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's also good that you've got friends who are willing to climb with you and your family.

donald949

Jun 17, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #73 of 1159 (28079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
It's also good that you've got friends who are willing to climb with you and your family.
Yea, its deff a plus. Last year my family didn't want to come, so I meet Jorge in Lone Pine and climbed with his family. This year his family didn't want to come, so he climbed with mine.
We actually hooked up for climbing when we replied last year to another fellows post looking for families with young kids that climb.

donald949

Jun 23, 2009, 9:38 PM
Post #74 of 1159 (27966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark on an unknown easy route in Paul's Backyard:

Barb on Ted Shread:

Couple shots of Jake on the Rock in Paul's Backyard:

Elizabeths mad climbing skills:

My mad climbing skills on Sunday Matinee Wall

Some of the scenery around Lone Pine/Alabama Hills.

(This post was edited by donald949 on Jun 23, 2009, 9:41 PM)
Attachments: 016a.jpg (109 KB)
  017a.jpg (116 KB)
  201a.JPG (88.7 KB)
  202a.jpg (106 KB)
  101a.jpg (66.0 KB)
  102a.jpg (65.3 KB)
  105a.jpg (69.4 KB)
  117a.jpg (65.0 KB)
  205a.jpg (107 KB)
  223a.jpg (52.4 KB)

clmbr

Jun 28, 2009, 7:43 AM
Post #75 of 1159 (27918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No weekend warrior this time.the rain is crushing my 5.10d aspirations. Unless mac Donald's has a grading system.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook