RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

cloud9climber

Jun 17, 2009, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 25 (7764 views)
Shortcut

Climbing after having a baby - whoa.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is my experience of course but thought I would report back because I said I would. So, I had my baby 4 months ago via C-section and he is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to us.

The first two months were super hard and challenging but that's a whole other thread.

Some background. I'd only been climbing for 2 years before getting pregnant but climbing 5.10's on a good day but cruising 5.9's. My Husband leads everything (he's been climbing for 14 years). We mostly climb around Southern California. Pt. Dume, Malibu Creek, Joshua Tree, Stoney Point, etc.

Okay... I gained 60 pounds while pregnant. Yep... you read it right. 60 pounds. I stopped climbing and pretty much exercising altogether except walks after 10 weeks because I had a prior miscarriage and was scared of it happening again. So far, I've lost 30 of those 60 pounds but man, it might as well be 100 pounds because I feel as heavy as a ton of bricks. Every extra pound is just awful. You really feel it.

How hard trying to climb with the extra weight was no surprise but what was a big surprise was my loss of balance. Just hiking to a wall was tricky. Getting this new, weird body over boulders, through trees was well... weird. I was sore after a 1 mile approach!!! Something that the "old me" could have done in my sleep.

I was discouraged and had a little bit of a meltdown in front of a climb called ironically enough "powderpuff girls" (5.9). I couldn't even get half way up. Everyone was like, "look at all the feet there" and in my head I was like "I know!!! I see it!" It's a smorgisborg of nubs for me to use but I physically don't have the strength to move my body right now. I'm so heavy and out of shape. I was so frustrated.

So I'm back to work full time which sucks a lot of time and energy especially when you do that while taking care of a new baby but I start working with my personal trainer and pilates instructor next week. I have hope that I will get back into climbing shape again to climb Sequoia, Red Rock or J Tree like the old me. Maybe it will be the better me???

I guess I've learned that if you don't use it you lose it and that having a baby is a real feat and I'm proud of myself. This Mom stuff is hard. Harder than I ever imagined it to be.

I am quickly learning that balance is the key to everything. Hope you all are well and having great climbing adventures!

(This post was edited by cloud9climber on Jun 17, 2009, 5:11 AM)

tallgirl

Jun 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #2 of 25 (7737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cloud9climber] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Remember to be gentle with yourself! Your body and psyche have just gone through the amazing feat of gestation/birth and it needs kindness to recover. The weight will come off and you'll climb like you did again-it's just not going to happen overnight.
You may even have more insight into why/how you climb after this.
We live in a very fast paced ridiculously busy world but it doesn't mean we have to subscribe to it.
Enjoy the process of recovery/discovery!

Peace,
Dana

gblauer

Jun 17, 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #3 of 25 (7736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tallgirl wrote:
Remember to be gentle with yourself! Your body and psyche have just gone through the amazing feat of gestation/birth and it needs kindness to recover. The weight will come off and you'll climb like you did again-it's just not going to happen overnight.
We live in a very fast paced ridiculously busy world but it doesn't mean we have to subscribe to it.

Peace,
Dana

Wise words Dana. Give yourself the gift of time.

You will never be your "old" self again, but you will be a new and improved self. You will become highly efficient (because you have to...it's nearly impossible to balance, work, family and play without becoming highly efficient) and focused. Enjoy the baby, enjoy your journey and enjoy the challenge of creating the "new" you. Most importantly, stop beating yourself up, this too shall pass.

lena_chita

Jun 17, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #4 of 25 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
tallgirl wrote:

Peace,
Dana

You will never be your "old" self again, but you will be a new and improved self. You will become highly efficient (because you have to...it's nearly impossible to balance, work, family and play without becoming highly efficient) and focused. Enjoy the baby, enjoy your journey and enjoy the challenge of creating the "new" you. Most importantly, stop beating yourself up, this too shall pass.

I agree. Think about it: on top of being pregnant and not exercising/climbing for quite some time, and gaining weight, and having a new baby to care for and adjust to, you had a MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY-- just 4 months ago.

Any one of those things can make your climbing worse for a time.

How many guys, do you think, would come back after a year off and a major surgery, and just cruise stuff at their before-the-break limit? Not many. You have a couple of factors on top of those two.

Sure, there are women who bounce back in shape quickly, who have an easy pregnancy, labor and delivery, and who have an easy time with it all. But the majority of women struggle with weight loss, with change in balance, with other after-effects of giving birth, and with adjustments to having a newborn.

I was one of the lucky ones, in terms of losing wieght very quickly (but I only gained 25pounds... you already lost more than that!). And I had uncomplicated births, especially the second time around, making it very easy to get back in shape. But I know I was lucky.

I can also tell you that a lot of people who just know me casually look at me and tell me how amazed they are that I can "do it all"-- kids, work, climbing hard-- and make it look easy. Believe me, it is not easy. But with time you too will find your new balance, both literally and figuratively, and make this work for you and your family.

Congratulations on your new baby! Enjoy him, and the journey ahead.

cloud9climber

Jun 17, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 25 (7686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tallgirl wrote:

Peace,
Dana

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! :) I really appreciate it.

cloud9climber

Jun 17, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 25 (7684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
tallgirl wrote:

Peace,
Dana

Thank you - I'm becoming good at multi-tasking! Like right now I'm typing this, ordering lunch and on hold with the pharmacy! Ha! And, yes!! I will try to stop beating myself up. Promise! Thanks again.

cloud9climber

Jun 17, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #7 of 25 (7680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
gblauer wrote:
tallgirl wrote:

Peace,
Dana

I agree. Think about it: on top of being pregnant and not exercising/climbing for quite some time, and gaining weight, and having a new baby to care for and adjust to, you had a MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY-- just 4 months ago.

Any one of those things can make your climbing worse for a time.

How many guys, do you think, would come back after a year off and a major surgery, and just cruise stuff at their before-the-break limit? Not many. You have a couple of factors on top of those two.

Sure, there are women who bounce back in shape quickly, who have an easy pregnancy, labor and delivery, and who have an easy time with it all. But the majority of women struggle with weight loss, with change in balance, with other after-effects of giving birth, and with adjustments to having a newborn.

I was one of the lucky ones, in terms of losing wieght very quickly (but I only gained 25pounds... you already lost more than that!). And I had uncomplicated births, especially the second time around, making it very easy to get back in shape. But I know I was lucky.

I can also tell you that a lot of people who just know me casually look at me and tell me how amazed they are that I can "do it all"-- kids, work, climbing hard-- and make it look easy. Believe me, it is not easy. But with time you too will find your new balance, both literally and figuratively, and make this work for you and your family.

Congratulations on your new baby! Enjoy him, and the journey ahead.

Hey Lena!

I seem forget that a c-section is major surgery so thanks for that. I struggle with my weight more now that I'm a little older. I just turned 38. I know I will find a "new balance" and I'm excited about our new little family. Thanks for the well wishes! I hope my arms look like yours someday! ha!!! :)

(This post was edited by cloud9climber on Jun 17, 2009, 11:50 PM)

desertwanderer81

Jun 18, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #8 of 25 (7623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Just weighing in here. I had a small fracture in the tip of my Ulna (wrist) three whole months ago and I'm still limitted at climbing 5.8's max because of the strain on the bone.

You were basically gutted four months ago on top of 7 months of not being able to be active!

I'm of the opinion that you are pretty hard core being able to get half way up a 9 after going through all of that!

I'm sure in 2 months you'll be back on 10's and pushing 11's ;)

cloud9climber

Jun 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #9 of 25 (7603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Just weighing in here. I had a small fracture in the tip of my Ulna (wrist) three whole months ago and I'm still limitted at climbing 5.8's max because of the strain on the bone.

You were basically gutted four months ago on top of 7 months of not being able to be active!

I'm of the opinion that you are pretty hard core being able to get half way up a 9 after going through all of that!

I'm sure in 2 months you'll be back on 10's and pushing 11's ;)

LOL!! "Gutted" is the right word! Ha! Thanks for making me laugh. It sure felt that way for the first 5 days after it happened that's for sure. Hope you get back to 100% soon. Thanks! :)

desertwanderer81

Jun 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #10 of 25 (7597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, thanks. Yeah, I would love to get better, and I'm sure it'll happen in good time.

Same with you though! I am sure you'll be back into climbing shape soon enough :)

rockie

Jun 19, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #11 of 25 (7564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy" Smile

This will be me soon, approx 2-3 months time max.

cloud9climber

Jun 19, 2009, 8:50 PM
Post #12 of 25 (7562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:

Thank you! Congrats to you too! Are you having a boy or girl or will it be a surprise??

crackrn

Jun 20, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #13 of 25 (7532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:

Ditto and ditto! I am due Aug 8th and just barely made it up a 5.8 in the gym last week. You aren't kidding the difference that extra weight makes. And like the others said, C-sections aren't trivial. Give yourself time and you'll be back. Congrats!

rockie

Jun 26, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #14 of 25 (7410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cloud9climber wrote:
rockie wrote:

Thank you! Congrats to you too! Are you having a boy or girl or will it be a surprise??

I'm having a gorgeous baby boy (even the USS radiographers said so) they were enjoying him and not letting me see enough of him, and he is mine! Shocked

I have a great name for him already too Cool

Enjoy your little one, I am enjoying the pregnancy and he never hurts me on moving, I love his moves, though I am looking forward to holding him in my arms. I am having a model one of my Mum, smooth sailing all the way, no sickness, and we came fast when she went into labour (I hope I do too when it comes to the birth).

rockie

Jun 26, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #15 of 25 (7409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackrn] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackrn wrote:
rockie wrote:

Ditto and ditto! I am due Aug 8th and just barely made it up a 5.8 in the gym last week. You aren't kidding the difference that extra weight makes. And like the others said, C-sections aren't trivial. Give yourself time and you'll be back. Congrats!

Congratulations to you too. Enjoy your pregnancy and the baby Smile

cloud9climber

Jun 27, 2009, 6:57 AM
Post #16 of 25 (7374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
cloud9climber wrote:
rockie wrote:

I'm having a gorgeous baby boy (even the USS radiographers said so) they were enjoying him and not letting me see enough of him, and he is mine! Shocked

I have a great name for him already too Cool

Enjoy your little one, I am enjoying the pregnancy and he never hurts me on moving, I love his moves, though I am looking forward to holding him in my arms. I am having a model one of my Mum, smooth sailing all the way, no sickness, and we came fast when she went into labour (I hope I do too when it comes to the birth).

eek!! boys are fun!! enjoy!! :)

cloud9climber

Jun 27, 2009, 6:59 AM
Post #17 of 25 (7371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackrn] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackrn wrote:
rockie wrote:

Thanks! Getting stronger every week. finding that doing laps at the gym is helping. Good luck with your baby in August! It'll be here before you know it!

rockie

Jun 27, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #18 of 25 (7343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cloud9climber wrote:
crackrn wrote:
rockie wrote:

Thanks! Getting stronger every week. finding that doing laps at the gym is helping. Good luck with your baby in August! It'll be here before you know it!

I know only about 7 more weeks approx, that is not long at all! I can't wait, though not looking forward to the birthing of the head as I hear too many times that is the painful part and stings/ burning sensation. I guess push it out fast is the answer Wink

I am happy I am having a boy, I hear they are the best.. Heh!

Partner macherry

Jun 30, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #23 of 25 (7227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry guys, highly moderated forum. posts unrelated to the topic have been hidden.

clee03m

Jun 30, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #24 of 25 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I climbed until about 37 weeks, but only super easy (5.9) and I still had to hang. The crazy part is that I climbed better at 7 months pregnant than 1 month post-partum."

First, congrats! I was re-reading a past pregnancy thread when I came across the quote above. That quote is from aimeerose who I think posted that now she climbs 13's. Thought you might find it comforting :)

cloud9climber

Jun 30, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #25 of 25 (7176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Climbing after having a baby - whoa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
"I climbed until about 37 weeks, but only super easy (5.9) and I still had to hang. The crazy part is that I climbed better at 7 months pregnant than 1 month post-partum."

First, congrats! I was re-reading a past pregnancy thread when I came across the quote above. That quote is from aimeerose who I think posted that now she climbs 13's. Thought you might find it comforting :)

thanks for that and for the well wishes! I've been working with my trainer for a couple weeks and hitting the gym and doing pilates and feeling much better. Trying to get that core strength back - it's hard but feels good to get that burn going again. Also, I'm taking advice from here and being easy on myself. It's not a race. I'll lose the weight. I just realize that if I was 25 I'd bounce back faster but alas, I'm 38 - it's gonna take a bit longer. No big whoop. My Son is so worth it. He's growing so fast and at 4.5 months already getting a tooth!!! eek!! He'll be climbing with us in no time! Ha!!!

Thanks again. Not sure I'll ever climb 13's but it would be nice to do 10's and 11's. Good to have goals ;) Hope you have a great Holiday weekend!

(This post was edited by cloud9climber on Jun 30, 2009, 6:10 PM)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook