Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Free Primative Camping Near Rumney?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jkd159

Jun 18, 2009, 7:56 PM
Post #1 of 13 (10161 views)
Shortcut

Free Primative Camping Near Rumney?  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for the nearest free camping to Rumney. Preferably somewhere we can pull up the car, set up a tent, and not be disturbed for the night.

I realize free car camping is hard to find on the east coast, but surely it must be available in the "Camp Free Or Die" state! Or did I get that motto wrong :-)

Thanks!

altelis

Jun 18, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #2 of 13 (10156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jkd159 wrote:
Looking for the nearest free camping to Rumney. Preferably somewhere we can pull up the car, set up a tent, and not be disturbed for the night.

I realize free car camping is hard to find on the east coast, but surely it must be available in the "Camp Free Or Die" state! Or did I get that motto wrong :-)

Thanks!

Its there. But you can be DAMNED sure I ain't giving my hard earned secrets away. DAMNED SURE.

Do what the rest of us do- pull out a map! If you are resourceful, can read a map, and are aware of the different laws governing camping on different types of private/public lands, you can almost always find spots to crash where even if (though unlikely) the fuzz comes across your spot you'll know you are fine.

You should know that a few of the spots that others used to regular (ie the easiest and closest spots) have been routinely patrolled and banned as of ~5-6 years ago.

Gmburns2000

Jun 18, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 13 (10149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

walmart parking lot is about the only free camping. as atelis said, quite a few of the bandit spots have been found.

altelis

Jun 18, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #4 of 13 (10142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greg, you need to explore more Wink

Gmburns2000

Jun 18, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 13 (10136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, truth be told, I go to Rumney like an anvil floats. Plus, Rumney is a day trip for me, so little need for camping.

jkd159

Jun 18, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #6 of 13 (10133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Do what the rest of us do- pull out a map!

A map? What's that? I've been viewing the region with Google Earth and have a few promising sites in mind which appear to be in the National Forest. But like you both said, anything close and obvious will probably be banned and patrolled. The problem with living far from Rumney is that it is hard to scout the region in person.

I can understand not wanting to part with secrets. I'm happy to trade directions to free camping near Seneca, Gunks, Red Rock Canyon, RMNP... probably a few other climbing areas as well.

altelis

Jun 18, 2009, 9:39 PM
Post #7 of 13 (10099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the journey is important. i'm serious. gain the skills to find covert camping spots- it'll serve you well.

how 'bout some hints:

1) i assume you have the ability to see national forest boundaries in google earth. if not, sorry, you won't succeed.

2) make sure you are up on the rules governing camping in national forest lands generally and the lands that you are visiting specifically

3) sometimes "private" land is the best.....

4) fire access roads anybody?

kmc

Jun 19, 2009, 1:14 AM
Post #8 of 13 (10080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would be interested to hear of some free camp sites near Seneca, but if you are trying to use free camp site secrets for the Gunks as leverage, well, Im afraid you arent going to get much information at all.

jakedatc

Jun 19, 2009, 2:09 AM
Post #9 of 13 (10058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kmc wrote:
I would be interested to hear of some free camp sites near Seneca, but if you are trying to use free camp site secrets for the Gunks as leverage, well, Im afraid you arent going to get much information at all.
that's what i was thinking LaughLaugh slime and multi abuse aren't exactly ninja spots ;)

jmeizis

Jun 19, 2009, 3:16 AM
Post #10 of 13 (10046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be willing to trade my secret Rumney spot (mostly because I don't live there anymore) for your RMNP and RR spots (since I live in CO now). Keep in mind that my info is about two years old. I was once out there at night and a guy and his wife offered up there little cottage for the night. It was creepy at first. Hell of a nice guy. Anyways, PM me and we'll talk turkey.

bill413

Jun 19, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #11 of 13 (10045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
kmc wrote:
that's what i was thinking LaughLaugh slime and multi abuse aren't exactly ninja spots ;)
It takes ninja skills when they're full....Angelic

jkd159

Jun 19, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #12 of 13 (10028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Free Primative Camping Near Rumney? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course everybody knows about the Multi-Abuse and Slime. Everybody except the two or three people who ask me each season. Which may be shocking to people who know the area, but my edition of Williams Select doesn't even mention the MUA in the list of campgrounds. And I seem to remember that gunks.com only listed commercial campgrounds on their lodging page (back when the lodging page wasn't completely blank). So even the most obvious information is only obvious when you know it.

Anyhow, I do understand the importance of minimizing overuse of free camping areas, especially on the east coast where they are rare and subject to closure. Even out west, I remember when all the campgrounds along the Colorado River in Eastern Utah were free. Now they are $10/site/night. (But two years ago camping was still free in Castle Valley and on the north side of 128, across from Fisher Towers).

Balancing the need for discretion, is the need to support dirtbag climbers. And as a dirtbag climber myself, I'm going to err on that side. So here is the information you all requested. All I ask in return is that you make an extra effort to leave no trace or even remove a trace of previous parties at these sites.

Seneca
From Seneca Rocks, take 33 West for 5.2 miles. Turn left on White's Run Road (33/3) and drive 0.5 miles to a pullout on the right. Nice camping area with a creek for water. Supposedly more pullouts further down the road, but I've never driven past the first one.

RMNP
From Boulder take 7N to Meeker Park. About 100 yards north of Meeker, turn east into the National Forest. Staying right at each fork, drive about 5 miles to find a perfect area to spend the night.

Red Rock Canyon
Can't find my maps for this one, but the gist is to take the first road north from route 160 into the Toiyabe National Forest which is just West of the Red Rock Conservation Area. The visitor's center will provide maps if you know what to ask for. You will burn enough gas that it might be cheaper to try to share a campsite in the campground on route 159. Also, one and two night permits are available on the loop road if you are sleeping on the cliff, and I believe these rules apply to Black Velvet Canyon except you don't need to call the late exit phone number and the area is rarely patrolled by rangers.

Note that none of this information is secret. Most land managers will readily give it out. And I don't think that posting information in a Rumney forum will cause overuse in Seneca, RMNP or Red Rock. If it helps you... great. If it is out of date or incorrect... I made no guarantees. If you are annoyed that I gave away your secret bivy site... sorry.

Enjoy.

P.S. If anyone wants to give me beta for free camping at Rumney, but doesn't want the information to be spread around then send me a private message and I'll respect your wishes that the information not be distributed.

kmc

Jun 19, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #13 of 13 (9997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was only giving you a hard time about the camping at the Gunks. I really didnt mean anything by my post, just cracking a little joke.

I would volunteer some beta about camping at Rumney if I knew anything about it, but I do not climb there nearly enough to have any "secret" spots. I have only stayed at the pay camp sites.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook