RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

iamthewallress

Jun 19, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Latest Accomplishments: Admiration Edition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The "What's Your Latest Accomplishment Thread" is one of my favorite's here so I'm starting this thread for posting about cool stuff that other women are doing.

Here's a link to a book on climbing geology just published by climber Sarah Garlick:

http://tinyurl.com/qq34nm

Here's a bit from a review I posted on Supertopo:

I've tried to learn about the geology of the places where I climb in the past and have found it a struggle. Most geology books are for afficianados and so full of jargon that I spend so much time in the glossary that I forget what was being said about this peice of vocab or that.

This book gives relatively brief answers to climbing-relavent questions with plenty of eye candy for the wandering mind of a dilatante like me!

In addition to my curiousity about how the features that we use to climb formed, I bought your book as a little word tour of climbing rock. The pictures and rock descriptions are better than many topo books for getting a sense of what it might be like to climb some of these places.

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Jun 19, 2009, 4:19 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 19, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Latest Accomplishments: Admiration Edition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend Irina has been on a climbing road trip since February, after finishing up her PhD in Mathematics at Columbia!

She's living the life, currently in Yosemite, after having spent the late winter up in Squamish.

On the other end of the spectrum, my friend Lauren has just started climbing, and I have taken her out for her first 3 days so far. Lauren answered an ad on C/List 3 years ago, which I posted - looking for someone to give me rides from the train station to the cliffs each weekend. Without fail, she's been there for me since, and this year she finally was able to find time to get out and climb. She asked, on day "So....If I wanted to climb outside, how would I go about it?"

Here she is, on her first day, TR'ing a stout 5.8 at Peterskill. Not bad for her second climb ever!

gblauer

Jun 20, 2009, 2:23 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Latest Accomplishments: Admiration Edition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Happiegrrrl spends most of her sundays assisting with trail maintenance at the gunks. This isn't easy work, it's hauling huge rocks into place and setting them to make access easier for all.

You go Terrie!

acacongua

Jun 22, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Latest Accomplishments: Admiration Edition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, a huge kudos to Terrie and other trail workers. Getting people to give up their climbing days for trail work is a monumental task so I'm so pleased with the ones who live for doing such work.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook