RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Nov 29, 2002, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Nose Record Completely Smashed!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Posted on: September 30, 2002

Hans Florine and Yuji Hirayama race up the Nose on El Capitain in 2 hours, 48 minutes, and 55 seconds!

It was inevitable that the Nose record would be broken, but could anyone conceive that an already unbelievable time of 3:24:04 (O'Neill/Potter) would be completely smashed. Well, on September 29, Hans and Yuji did it.

Hans writes, "Yuji led the whole route. We simulclimbed about 2450 ft and I jugged while Yuji short-fixed/self-belayed for about 500 ft.

We exchanged gear at the 6th pitch, (leaving Sickle), at the 17th pitch,( King Swing), at the 21st pitch, (Great Roof), at the 25th and 27th pitch, (Camp 5 and 6).

We started at 7:15 am and topped out at 10:03 am. It was a bit cold at the start, my hands barely staying warm enough to feel the pin scars on the first three pitches. After that it was perfect temperatures. I was gasping for breath as we entered into the Stove Legs at the 7th pitch. Luckily I had a minute rest there as I waited for Yuji to get more than two pieces between us. From there up I managed to keep from going anarobic, til the last 100 ft.- where I pushed hard knowing I could colapse on top,- which I did.

We carried one #3 camalot, one #2, two #1s, one.75, one .5, and doubles below that. 6 nuts, one cam hook, one etrier, 17 quick draws, 18 free biners, 6 long runners, one Powergel each, one liter water each, one 10Oz can UpTime drink, a Gri gri, a couple lockers, Petzl jugs, set of JJs,(jugging loops), shorts, one dress shirt, one t-shirt.

BOY IT WAS FUN! and rewarding!"

News courtesy of Hans Florine at Speedclimb.com

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook