Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Jun 22, 2009, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alrighty - For the first time in 11+ years of being on the pill I attempted to buy some time for the sake of celebrating our 5yr anniversary weekend. I decided to skip the sugar pills, and go straight to the next round of contraceptives. The pharmacist said I could do this and that people do it all the time. I've known women who have done this, too.

Thankfully, I lasted through the awesome anniversary celebration, but yesterday started feeling icky and today (4 days into taking the regular pill) it showed up! My instinct is to continue taking the pill and to call the doc tomorrow and hope that I get a hold of her. Last time I had issues with unscheduled bleeding (more than a few times this year) she was not quick to get back to me.

What I don't want to do is leave myself open to risk of pregnancy. I'm also thinking that maybe my pill isn't right for me anymore. I'm not thinking of changing my doc because our new Massachusetts 'mandatory insurance' law makes it extremely hard to find a local primary care physician who is accepting new patients!

So, thoughts, recommendations on pills, experiences? Please share!

Partner macherry

Jun 22, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think your experience is a common one.......it has happened to me. i'm not a healthcare professional, but talking with other friends who have tried this, it is common, especially the first time when trying to avoid a period.

still, i'd talk with your dr.

granite_grrl

Jun 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I skipped my period like this I screwed up my cycle enough that I missed my next period too.

A good (minimum) rule of thumb is that when in doubt use a back up version of birth control until your body is back on track.

clausti

Jun 22, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i take my pill continuously all the time. but even when i didn't, i used to skip my period by the 'go straight to the next pack" method. in my experience, the longer i've been skipping it, the sooner i start to bleed after not taking a pill. like, when i'm having a period every month, it takes 4 or 5 days of sugar pills before i start, but when i've skipped the last 6 months running, sometimes it takes less than 48 hours after i take the last hormone pill in the pack.

boo

Jun 23, 2009, 2:33 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto - use backup.

switch docs. a note on primary care docs....in most states, an ob/gyn is considered a primary care doc for child-bearing age women.

i'm a big advocate of certified nurse midwives. they are more than willing, often way more communicative, to manage primary care. you may even find a family practice doc with a nurse practitioner, too.

clee03m

Jun 23, 2009, 2:53 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer a practitioner with at least 8 years of post graduate training as oppose to 1-2 years, but that's just me. I don't think you can establish a basic fund of knowledge in pharmacology, anatomy, pathophysiology...as well as some knowledge in all aspects of medicine... which i think is kind of important in such a short amount of time.

boo

Jun 23, 2009, 3:00 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am soooo not going to bite onto that. Cool But, I will say you should always utilize the service-level that you prefer.

wonderwoman

Jun 23, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Failure to fool mother nature (aka period postponement) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Made an appointment with an OB GYN today to figure out about switching over birth control. This year thinks have kinda been out of whack for some reason, so I'm hoping to figure out how to straighten things out. I'm thinking I just need to change pills because nothing else appears to be wrong with me.

Spoke to a nurse at the OB GYN who told me that no matter what I should back up my BC and that I had two options:

1. Continue taking the pill and be prepared to possibly have 2 periods this month. (I'm going with this one).

2. Stop taking the pill and start again next month at the date that I normally would be taking it.

I was kind of surprised that continuously taking the pill didn't stop the cycle, and so was the nurse. But I guess I'm just special! Mad

Partner macherry

Jun 23, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I was kind of surprised that continuously taking the pill didn't stop the cycle, and so was the nurse. But I guess I'm just special! Mad

like i said i know several women including myself that taking the pill did not stop the cycle.................i don't think it's all that uncommon

but you're still specialTongue

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 24, 2009, 2:21 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WW - Back up that pro! Don't trust that piton......

I can't help but sense the fertility gods are circling you with this thread.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook