RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Jun 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2832 views)
Shortcut

DSLR Camera sizes (photo comparison)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Being a little bit preferential to smaller SLRs (because I was a weakling and now I'm a lazy puss).

I came across this interesting size comparison from a guy who looks like he appreciates a small photo kit as much as I do. (flickr stream can be found here)

Figured this could be useful for future reference when the "What is a good DSLR for climbing" pops up.

The center camera is the new Pentax K7 (I suppose since they don't make film SLRs anymore the D was superfluous and removed, a bit shocking, but in hindsight absolutely brilliant).

14.6MP CMOS, 5.2FPS, fully weather sealed magnesium alloy body, full HD video at 30fps, sensor shift fine tune (~2-3mm), built in rotational SR (not just X-Y axis). 3in 920k LCD, stereo microphone jack (so your video doesn't sound like crap like most DSLRs), built in HDR, and not sure if the other companies have added this since the K20D, but color calibrated LCD screen on a $1300 camera...

Anyway, if your eyes are a little fuzzy the K7 is 25% smaller than the average size for it's class (D300, 50D, E3) and 7% smaller than it's predecessors (K10/20D).

Cameras in the photo are 5D, D300, D700, 50D, E3, E30, K20D, and K200D.

Good top down size comparison of the K20D vs. the K7. Hard to say but the K20D is probably 15% smaller than the 50D and D300 so the K7 is well over 20% smaller than both of those cameras.

A travel kit with great optics that literally fit in a pants pocket! Of course when you wife ask you, "are you happy to see me, or is that a lens in your pocket." She is actually insulting you!!!

(This post was edited by pico23 on Jun 5, 2009, 12:52 PM)

noodles

Jun 22, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] DSLR Camera sizes (photo comparison) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, very interesting. I've never shot pentax, but maybe I should start...

Those pancake lenses look super portable but how do they compare with a full sized counterpart?

pico23

Jun 23, 2009, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noodles] DSLR Camera sizes (photo comparison) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The pancakes are actually very little compromised in terms of IQ. Pentax did a good job balancing speed to size. Really besides the optics and rendering, the build of the Limiteds is really the selling point. All machined aluminum. No plastic, no rubber, even the caps and hoods are aluminum.

Suffice to say the 32mm effective FOV on the 21mm Limited makes it my favorite lens for walking around, general wilderness photography, and indoor use. I always thought of 35mm as my "normal lens", not being a fan of the 50mm perspective. Also, it close focuses to about 9inches which I love for landscapes.

Best part besides the size and optics of the 21mm DA Limited, is the hood. Absolutely obliviates the need for a protective UV filter, and the hood adds no size to the lens while completely protecting the lens from anything but silt and dust.

I don't have the 40mm, but it's reputed to be an updated (but virtually identical design to the M 40mm from the 1970s), which means it will work on a film camera as well (provided you can control the aperture on the body of the camera). However, it vastly outperforms the M40 2.8.

I have the slightly larger and 1 stop faster 43mm f/1.9. The lack of distortion of the 43mm and razor sharp focus make it my panoramic lens of choice, stopped down to f/8 it's incredible when you use a dedicated panoramic head.

The DA 70mm is an excellent lens, and definitely on my list (optically the DA 70 f/2.4 is on par with the FA 77mm f/1.8, but about half the size). Unfortunately, I found such a great deal on a Voightlander Lathar 90mm f/3.5 SL that I used my 70mm budget. The size/weight difference difference in the 70 and 90mm is enough to still have the 70mm on my wish list. The Voightlander is a small lens and optically about as perfect as a lens can get, but it's 3X the length and 3X the weight of the 70mm DA limited.

I used the DA 35mm as a test lens for several months, it's 1:1 macro is increbible in a small package, and it's infinity focus is also razor sharp, with no field curvature (typical of true 1:1 macros) it makes for a great panoramic lens, actually better than the FA43mm, unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and I'd have a hard time justifying the DA 35mm when I have the FA 43mm. My only gripe with the 35mm DA Limited is because it is a macro lens, the focus is slow compared to the 21mm or 40/43mm. Not awful, just not as snappy, for landscapes and macros not an issue, but it wouldn't make a great "normal" lens.

But my next lens is no doubt the 15mm f/4 Limited. It gives an almost classic 24mm FOV, and is tiny for a 15mm ultra wide angle, 7oz and 2.5in long (with the lens hood). I was hoping to get my hands on a test copy, but so far no luck! While sharpness of the DA 15 wide open has been debated, it's distortion control is incredible, flare resistance also incredible. Showing almost no distortion for a ultra wide angle lens.

here is a comparison of size between a standard 15mm lens and the new DA 15mm pancake (BTW, the lens hood on the DA 15mm retracts into the lens, making it about 2inches long for transport).

(This post was edited by pico23 on Jun 23, 2009, 3:34 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook