Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

gripster

Jul 7, 2009, 8:16 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

WTF guys? John Bachar is one of the most inspirational climbers of all time. I think that there should be some kind of tribute to him on the front page like i have seen before with other climbing accidents like this. I apologize if something is in the works, but at least an announcement in the news or a link to the supertopo memorial would be in order, something more than just a forum topic please. Am I the only one that thinks this?

chadnsc

Jul 7, 2009, 8:19 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gripster] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Then start one. Crazy

roadstead

Jul 7, 2009, 8:30 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gripster] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://supertopo.com/...html?topic_id=896012

He will be missed with 342 posts and countingFrown

gripster

Jul 7, 2009, 8:40 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Then start one. Crazy

gladly. how do i do that? can i get some admin privileges or something?

k.l.k

Jul 7, 2009, 9:06 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the accident thread pretty much turned into a memorial thread as everyone learned that it was john.

but if you want to be involved in a memorial where folks who knew him will actually read it, you need to go to supertopo.

rc.com is largely for n00bies and gym climbers.

gripster

Jul 7, 2009, 9:37 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
the accident thread pretty much turned into a memorial thread as everyone learned that it was john.

but if you want to be involved in a memorial where folks who knew him will actually read it, you need to go to supertopo.

you all should check out what mountain project did on their home page if you haven't seen it, i think something like that would be appropriate.

(This post was edited by gripster on Jul 7, 2009, 9:38 AM)

k.l.k

Jul 7, 2009, 9:45 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gripster wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

you all should check out what mountain project did on their home page if you haven't seen it, i think something like that would be appropriate.

Unless it's changed in the last two minutes, MP has simply posted a link to the Supertopo thread. Maybe you're thinking of ukclimbing. But that site has actual editorial content.

dingus

Jul 7, 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gripster wrote:
WTF guys? John Bachar is one of the most inspirational climbers of all time. I think that there should be some kind of tribute to him on the front page like i have seen before with other climbing accidents like this. I apologize if something is in the works, but at least an announcement in the news or a link to the supertopo memorial would be in order, something more than just a forum topic please. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Gripster, here is a link to a memorial tribute I wrote for my friend and master, Brutus of Wyde, who passed the veil darkly about a month ago.

http://www.summitpost.org/...-move-at-a-time.html

Summitpost saw fit to put it on their front page. One of their mods did the heavy lifting with the photos, etc.

I'm sure you could write one here, and these folks would post it to the front page.

Forms are easy - CONTENT, that's a lot harder.

I can't write a JB memorial though. I didn't know him well enough. At the end of the day the writer has to know the subject - who here would do that?

But a more dispassionate tribute would work - I'm not the sort that can do it. Maybe you can?

Just some suggestions brother - I dig from where you are coming. Respect.

Cheers
DMT

k.l.k

Jul 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the best assessment I've read that wasn't a memoir or tribute:

http://www.mountainsandwater.com/

Tx to Largo for the cite.

gripster

Jul 7, 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
gripster wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

Unless it's changed in the last two minutes, MP has simply posted a link to the Supertopo thread. Maybe you're thinking of ukclimbing. But that site has actual editorial content.

No that is what i am referring to. An announcement and a link to the memorial page would be suitable in my opinion. Currently the thread is buried and it still isn't listed in the news. I just feel that it deserves more attention than that.

boymeetsrock

Jul 7, 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K.l.K., Dingus...

Thanks for the links. Nice reads.

gripster

Jul 10, 2009, 8:12 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks very much to whoever put the link on the homepage. It is exactly what i was hoping for, and i am glad that this very popular climber's website is now announcing this tragedy at the top of the homepage. Nicely done!

ddt

Jul 13, 2009, 2:59 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have now changed the front page link to go to an article about John Bachar's passing, and not the forum thread. The thread is accessible from the end of the article.

Thanks vegastradguy for the article.

vegastradguy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the article was given to me by the friends and family of Bachar, my thanks to them.

k.l.k

Jul 15, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Why is there not a John Bachar memorial on the front Page? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've added details of the new trust for tyrus bachar to the lead post in the memorial thread, but it'd be more visible if it were at the bottom of the article. could we post it there?

"July 15: Friends and family have established a trust for Tyrus Bachar, 12, John's son. According to the family's lawyer:

'The trust will be revocable. After a while or after the funds have diminished or been spent there is no need to keep the trust going. The trust is being set up to get Tyrus through college at present.

Donations can be mailed via Pay Pal using the email tbacharlivingtrust@gmail.com. For donations of any amount, please make checks payable to: Acopa USA/ TBLT, 2328 Jeanne Drive, Las Vegas, NV, 89108. Contributions can also be made at any Well’s Fargo Bank using the account name Tyrus Bachar Living Trust located at zip code 92626.'

http://www.supertopo.com/..._id=896423&tn=60"

tx. Kerwin

ddt

Jul 15, 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Done.

k.l.k

Jul 16, 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$233.96 (10% off)
$76.46 (10% off)
$21.56 (10% off)