Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '10...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3549 views)
Shortcut

Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '10...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few friends of mine and I-- roughly five total-- are looking to start planning a two week bouldering (mostly, maybe some sport as well) trip in February. It'll be our first, so we're hoping to do something in the US.

Our goal is to spend two weeks with fun and interesting problems, doing on/off days with off days exploring whatever area we're in and being tourists, hopefully camping about 1/2 the time.

We originally planned for Oahu to be the destination, but recently learned that the bouldering potential there wasn't what we initially hoped.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Here's what we're shooting for:

- Something in the US (though if it doesn't make sense to limit ourselves, spending the extra money on overseas flights and time learning the basics of a new language could be something we'd consider)
- ample bouldering in close proximity (out-of-the-ordinary is something we're also crossing our fingers for-- DWS could be fun to try, for example)
- something relatively warm (we'll be shooting for mid to late February)
- something with enough problems to keep us occupied for two weeks (our group ranges in ability from physical V2-V5, and we may pick up a beginner or get better between now and then)
- someplace that has enough of a city or culture or _____ that we'd enjoy spending a week of off days there
- options for camping without being surrounded by RVs or McCabins.

Probably a demanding list, and other than someplace like Hawaii (already nixed) or Puerto Rico (doesn't seem promising so far, though i could be wrong) may be impossible in the US, but i'm hoping you guys have some suggestions.

IF the US isn't an option, could you suggest someplace overseas that a group could enjoy for their first climbing trip? Something relatively established, as we're not familiar with things like negotiating or securing access and would like to spend more time sending (or trying to send) developed stuff than hunting for potential problems in a strange land...

Thanks so much in advance!

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 9, 2009, 1:25 AM)

the1esteban

Jul 8, 2009, 7:28 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You live in PA...there's no need to go overseas for your first bouldering trip. If you have the money, go for it, but I'd do some research on this site and save a ton of cash.
my (cheap) suggestion:
rocktown near lafayette in georgia, hp40 in alabama and chattanooga.
I did this trip in college for a spring break. All you need is shoes, chalk, pads, camping stuff and gas. I'm pretty sure you'll find enough there to keep you busy.
Head to town on the weekends to avoid the crowds at the crag. Again, there's plenty to keep you busy in the area.
my 2 cents

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the1esteban] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your suggestion.

I should've specified-- we're looking to get out of the area (south eastern PA specifically, but the east coast more generally) and explore something a bit unfamiliar.
While this is a climbing trip first, it's a vacation second which is why we initially went for Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

We don't need anything exotic per se, but are definitely hoping for a change of pace.
Since it's Feb and we're looking to avoid the snow, something warmer is also a plus.

I'll look into your examples to see what the towns you listed are like.

Thanks again!

mounter

Jul 8, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Kansas or Nebraska.

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Average temperatures of 35°F isn't quite what we're looking for:

sp00ki wrote:

clymber

Jul 8, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua Tree close to Palm Spring 29 Palms and San Diego if you get tired of that head to Bishop

Hueco Tanks close to El Paso

Red Rocks close to Vegas

tons of stuff in Utah also

flippy04

Jul 8, 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
Average temperatures of 35°F isn't quite what we're looking for:

sp00ki wrote:

In that case, try Maine, Alaska, or damn near anywhere in Canada

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clymber] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clymber wrote:
Joshua Tree close to Palm Spring 29 Palms and San Diego if you get tired of that head to Bishop

Hueco Tanks close to El Paso

Red Rocks close to Vegas

tons of stuff in Utah also
We were looking at Joshua Tree, actually.
To be honest, i didn't realize it was less than an hour away from Palm Springs.

Seems like a good idea, going to put it on the short list!

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 8, 2009, 8:14 PM)

sp00ki

Jul 9, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems we as a group have come to a consensus-- skip the US, make a jump over the Atlantic and go bouldering in Spain, just west of Madrid:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2oZZfuRi1Oo/STf0E5M-RCI/AAAAAAAAB2Q/_jOiwDT2918/s1600-h/EBLOC_area_overview_map.jpg
(areas 8-12 are the bouldering spots we'll be exploring)
http://blog.rockrun.com/2008/12/review-ebloc-bouldering-in-spain.html
http://entreansias.blogspot.com/search/label/CROQUIS%20DE%20LOS%20SECTORES

It's almost completely settled. Madrid seems like an amazing city for playing tourist, all of the boulders are incredibly developed, access isn't a problem whatsoever, camping in the national parks and near the bouldering areas is permitted, the weather-- while not warm-- gives us highs in the low 60s (depending on when we leave, which may creep closer to March than Feb), the culture will be exciting, and the boulder problems are rampant.
If you look at areas 8-12 (in the second link), it appears that we'll have nothing but boulders for weeks-- most likely far more than we'll ever be able to touch.
DWS probably won't happen (Majorca is about 10 hours away from Madrid), but that's fine. Between the rocks and the city, i'm sure we'll have more than enough to keep our mind grapes occupied.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 9, 2009, 6:18 PM)

apeman_e

Jul 10, 2009, 3:24 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why not bring ropes?

sidepull

Jul 10, 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a thought: start training.

If you're asking about bouldering in Oahu it implies a bit of noob-hood. Bouldering in European areas can be really tough on the ego and, from the topos you've shown and the descriptions of some of the areas (particularly El Escorial, which by the way, was featured in an awesome Klem Loskot video), there's not much below 6A. I'm saying this not to deter but to motivate.

Que le via bien!

sp00ki

Jul 10, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apeman_e wrote:
why not bring ropes?
because bouldering with ropes seems a little unconventional for my tastes.

sidepull wrote:
Just a thought: start training.

If you're asking about bouldering in Oahu it implies a bit of noob-hood. Bouldering in European areas can be really tough on the ego and, from the topos you've shown and the descriptions of some of the areas (particularly El Escorial, which by the way, was featured in an awesome Klem Loskot video), there's not much below 6A. I'm saying this not to deter but to motivate.

Que le via bien!
oh, definitely.
There are a few easier problems i've found (and by a few i mean tons), but we're all pretty frequent boulderers. It's likely that the majority of us will continue climbing in the gym and outside three to four times a week every week through February/March with a week off only here and there.
I imagine all of us will be much stronger by then, but there are boulders with easier problems as well...

Worst case scenereo, we each spend two solid weeks on problems we were never meant to start and feel like kings when we send a single one!
But i think most of us will grow a bit over the next year.

Thanks for the advice!

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 10, 2009, 3:49 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook