Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

knieveltech

Jul 9, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #1 of 271 (10278 views)
Shortcut

"Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://news.yahoo.com/...mentwarmingusprotest

No details given if it was ground up or if they rapped in.

Carnage

Jul 9, 2009, 4:22 AM
Post #2 of 271 (10217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

i cant decide how i feel about this. it really depends on the ethics they used to achieve this. if it was ground up, they should leave it where it is. if it was top down, chop that shit down

moose_droppings

Jul 9, 2009, 5:22 AM
Post #3 of 271 (10180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats some top notch security we have up at Rushmore. Unsure

Not positive how they got to the top unobstructed and unseen and I won't say how I'd do it. I know once on top they rapped in off the anchors that are in place for maintaining the monument with banner in tow and displayed it. Rapping in to put up bolted routes around here is OK, so I say the banner should of stayed.

TheRucat

Jul 9, 2009, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 271 (10163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im glad it got chopped down, "global warming" is one of the least important things our government needs to worry about right now.

agdavis

Jul 9, 2009, 5:41 AM
Post #5 of 271 (10157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a link to the official Greenpeace video that was taken during the protest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9_xj77rcQ

Rock on, Greenpeace.

rtwilli4

Jul 9, 2009, 5:43 AM
Post #6 of 271 (10157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to start an argument about how important global warming is or is not, but I think it was a cool idea and wish there were more people in this country with that kind of passion, even if it were about issues I don't support. I don't, however, think that the banner should "stay," no matter how they put it up. Do you really think it should stay up forever? If I did a ground up FA of a new route in Arches NP or even just Yosemite, would you want the banner that I put up to stay forever?

rtwilli4

Jul 9, 2009, 5:48 AM
Post #7 of 271 (10144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

PS that dude was seriously getting whipped around by the wind... that was pretty awesome. He's lucky he didn't take a ledge fall at the end.

agdavis

Jul 9, 2009, 5:50 AM
Post #8 of 271 (10140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'm not going to start an argument about how important global warming is or is not, but I think it was a cool idea and wish there were more people in this country with that kind of passion, even if it were about issues I don't support. I don't, however, think that the banner should "stay," no matter how they put it up. Do you really think it should stay up forever? If I did a ground up FA of a new route in Arches NP or even just Yosemite, would you want the banner that I put up to stay forever?

I fully agree.

I'm pretty sure that nobody at Greenpeace thought that the banner would stay up for more than an hour or so -- they knew that the impact would be made. The banner stayed up for about an hour before they finally removed it.

Greenpeace is one of the few non-violent activist groups that haveactually made an difference -- that is America at it's best.

losinghand

Jul 9, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #9 of 271 (10086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all - I'm a regular rc.com reader, and I was also one of the climbers who hung the banner on Rushmore today. I was sort of curious when someone would bring it up on one of the forums.... ;)

Sadly, no, we weren't ground-up. There are existing bolts placed all over the monument, used by the parks rope-access team for cleaning the monument. That said, we did use a number of pieces of trad gear for anchoring our lines, and anchoring the banner.

And as you can see from the video - it was insanely windy. We had a rough go of it - but safely deployed the banner, with no damage to the monument, or injuries to any of the climb team.

There's a newly edited video up at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9_xj77rcQ

agdavis

Jul 9, 2009, 7:38 AM
Post #10 of 271 (10055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losinghand] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losinghand wrote:
Hey all - I'm a regular rc.com reader, and I was also one of the climbers who hung the banner on Rushmore today. I was sort of curious when someone would bring it up on one of the forums.... ;)

Sadly, no, we weren't ground-up. There are existing bolts placed all over the monument, used by the parks rope-access team for cleaning the monument. That said, we did use a number of pieces of trad gear for anchoring our lines, and anchoring the banner.

And as you can see from the video - it was insanely windy. We had a rough go of it - but safely deployed the banner, with no damage to the monument, or injuries to any of the climb team.

I thought all but one of the climbers were held. Are you the one they released?

josephgdawson

Jul 9, 2009, 8:59 AM
Post #11 of 271 (10026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

agdavis wrote:
I'm pretty sure that nobody at Greenpeace thought that the banner would stay up for more than an hour or so -- they knew that the impact would be made. The banner stayed up for about an hour before they finally removed it.

The banner made ZERO impact. The majority of the American people know that the idea of man made global warming is a crock of shit and it is nothing more than a marketing scheme for the government to raise taxes and centralize power via regulation.

Those of you who believe global warming is man made are just contemporary counterparts to the ancient dupes who believed that Aztec rulers had to sacrifice a disgusting amount of people so the sun would rise. There was a consensus that this had to be done.

History is rife with governments creating religions and manipulating the hordes so they can hold onto their power. However, most of you GW zealots are too uneducated to have the slightest grasp of history. Then again, zealots are never deterred by facts, so it would not matter anyway.

Hell, I'll bet 99% of the dopes who believe that global warming is man made cannot describe the difference between a model and empirical science based on the scientific method.

sidepull

Jul 9, 2009, 9:55 AM
Post #12 of 271 (10007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sadly Joseph, your post is the one that reaks of zealotry. Then again, zealots are never deterred by facts ... please educate yourself rather than relying on faulty, pseudo-historic analogies.

"Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation. Global surface temperature increased 0.74 ± 0.18 °C (1.33 ± 0.32 °F)during the last century.[1][A] The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes that increasing greenhouse gas concentrations resulting from human activity such as fossil fuel burning and deforestation are responsible for most of the observed temperature increase since the middle of the 20th century.[1] The IPCC also concludes that natural phenomena such as solar variation and volcanoes produced most of the warming from pre-industrial times to 1950 and had a small cooling effect afterward.[2][3] These basic conclusions have been endorsed by more than 45 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

donald949

Jul 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #13 of 271 (9998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Opps, looks like this ones headed for the Soap Box...
Shocked

sidepull

Jul 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #14 of 271 (9960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:
The banner made ZERO impact.

PS - it's on the front page of yahoo and I'll bet it will be on every major news broadcast tonight. Of course, I have no idea how you measure impact.

gimmeslack

Jul 9, 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #15 of 271 (9947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent Wink

Now, go add it to the route database!

losinghand wrote:

el_layclimber

Jul 9, 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #16 of 271 (9921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:
agdavis wrote:

The banner made ZERO impact. The majority of the American people know that the idea of man made global warming is a crock of shit and it is nothing more than a marketing scheme for the government to raise taxes and centralize power via regulation.

Those of you who believe global warming is man made are just contemporary counterparts to the ancient dupes who believed that Aztec rulers had to sacrifice a disgusting amount of people so the sun would rise. There was a consensus that this had to be done.

History is rife with governments creating religions and manipulating the hordes so they can hold onto their power. However, most of you GW zealots are too uneducated to have the slightest grasp of history. Then again, zealots are never deterred by facts, so it would not matter anyway.

Hell, I'll bet 99% of the dopes who believe that global warming is man made cannot describe the difference between a model and empirical science based on the scientific method.

Why do I get the feeling that you don't think terrorism is a crock of shit, and you are fine with having your freedoms taken away to monitor that?

This from Time.com: "85% — say global warming is probably happening, according to a new TIME magazine/ABC News/Stanford University poll. An even larger percentage (88%) think global warming threatens future generations."

knieveltech

Jul 9, 2009, 1:41 PM
Post #17 of 271 (9880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losinghand wrote:

Awesome! I appreciate your efforts at subversion regardless of cause. So out of curiosity what kind of charges are the climb team looking at? Trespassing surely. Vandalism? Defacing a national monument?

Gmburns2000

Jul 9, 2009, 1:42 PM
Post #18 of 271 (9878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losinghand wrote:

made clicky

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 9, 2009, 2:07 PM
Post #19 of 271 (9835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

agdavis wrote:
Here is a link to the official Greenpeace video that was taken during the protest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9_xj77rcQ

Rock on, Greenpeace.

excellent video - especially the ranger voice at after the finish "Take this camera down. I don't care...."

Well done, Greenpeace!

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 9, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #20 of 271 (9825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

PS - it's on the front page of yahoo and I'll bet it will be on every major news broadcast tonight. Of course, I have no idea how you measure impact.

Best Repartee Post of the Day. Possibly even the week, or month. For the year? Well, it's only July, but I think it may be in the running!

Kudos to the dude from the GP group who posted!

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

Jul 9, 2009, 2:31 PM
Post #21 of 271 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

impact= Publicity gained by placing banner-(Jet fuel for flights of climbers to get to monument and back home+gas burned to drive from airport to monument+fuel burned by cops to transport climber from monument to police station+fuel burned by news vehicles to cover event)

If impact>0 success if impact<0 failure.

asellers98

Jul 9, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #22 of 271 (9750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

It saddens me to see such desecration of our national monument. There is a time and a place for all actions, and I feel this action was sadly put in the wrong place.

No matter what your views are on global warming, I am not impressed in such things.

As far as impact? What kind of climbing backlash will result from this? What kind of change is going to come from this politically?

to me I only see negatives coming from this, rather than a positive.

I think a better venue would have been off a buiding in a big city. If I saw someone putting something like this while I was climbing, I would want to cut their ropes! I wouldn't cut them, but I would want to...

mounter

Jul 9, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #23 of 271 (9712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pancakes.

flippy04

Jul 9, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #24 of 271 (9701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] "Climbers" hang banner on Rushmore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My sentiments exactly, Mounter.

dingus

Jul 9, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #25 of 271 (9700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:

Could you get a few more knee jerk platform issues in there Newt???

Onward Christian Soldier!

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook