Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '10...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '10...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few friends of mine and I-- roughly five total-- are looking to start planning a two week bouldering (mostly, maybe some sport as well) trip in February. It'll be our first, so we're hoping to do something in the US.

Our goal is to spend two weeks with fun and interesting problems, doing on/off days with off days exploring whatever area we're in and being tourists, hopefully camping about 1/2 the time.

We originally planned for Oahu to be the destination, but recently learned that the bouldering potential there wasn't what we initially hoped.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Here's what we're shooting for:

- Something in the US (though if it doesn't make sense to limit ourselves, spending the extra money on overseas flights and time learning the basics of a new language could be something we'd consider)
- ample bouldering within close proximity (out-of-the-ordinary is something we're also crossing our fingers for-- DWS could be fun to try, for example)
- something relatively warm (we'll be shooting for mid to late February)
- something with enough problems to keep us occupied for two weeks (our group ranges in ability from physical V2-V5, and we may pick up a beginner or get better between now and then)
- someplace that has enough of a city or culture or _____ that we'd enjoy spending a week of off days there
- options for camping without being surrounded by RVs or McCabins.

Probably a demanding list, and other than someplace like Hawaii (already nixed) or Puerto Rico (doesn't seem promising so far, though i could be wrong) may be impossible in the US, but i'm hoping you guys have some suggestions.

IF the US isn't an option, could you suggest someplace overseas that a group could enjoy for their first climbing trip? Something relatively established, as we're not familiar with things like negotiating or securing access and would like to spend more time sending (or trying to send) developed stuff than hunting for potential problems in a strange land...

Thanks so much in advance!

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 9, 2009, 1:24 AM)

rainman0915

Jul 9, 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

do u own a time machine, do u not remember what year it is?

sp00ki

Jul 9, 2009, 1:23 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainman0915] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ahem.

(thanks)

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 9, 2009, 1:24 AM)

rtwilli4

Jul 9, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not really a boulderererer and haven't been to any popular areas in the states but I would assume that you know about Hueco, Bishop, Joshua Tree. If I'm not mistaken, those are all winter destinations.

Also, I've seen two separate stories lately, one in Rock and Ice and the other in Climbing, about bouldering in Mexico. Neither place seemed to far south. I would go to Mexico.

rtwilli4

Jul 9, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And now that I see that you are in Penn, I have to recommend NC. Rumbling Bald in particular, but there are tons of places in NC. It might be too cold for you, but it might not be.

sp00ki

Jul 9, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Looking to plan first bouldering trip for Feb '09... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'm not really a boulderererer and haven't been to any popular areas in the states but I would assume that you know about Hueco, Bishop, Joshua Tree. If I'm not mistaken, those are all winter destinations.

Also, I've seen two separate stories lately, one in Rock and Ice and the other in Climbing, about bouldering in Mexico. Neither place seemed to far south. I would go to Mexico.

Funny you mention Mexico, as we were just discussing it.

Seems we as a group have come to a consensus though-- skip the US, make a jump over the Atlantic and go bouldering in Spain, just west of Madrid:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2oZZfuRi1Oo/STf0E5M-RCI/AAAAAAAAB2Q/_jOiwDT2918/s1600-h/EBLOC_area_overview_map.jpg
(areas 8-12 are the bouldering spots we'll be exploring)
http://blog.rockrun.com/2008/12/review-ebloc-bouldering-in-spain.html
http://entreansias.blogspot.com/search/label/CROQUIS%20DE%20LOS%20SECTORES

It's almost completely settled. Madrid seems like an amazing city for playing tourist, all of the boulders are incredibly developed, access isn't a problem whatsoever, camping in the national parks and near the bouldering areas is permitted, the weather-- while not warm-- gives us highs in the low 60s (depending on when we leave, which may creep closer to March than Feb), the culture will be exciting, and the boulder problems are rampant.
If you look at areas 8-12 (in the second link), it appears that we'll have nothing but boulders for weeks-- most likely far more than we'll ever be able to touch.
DWS probably won't happen (Majorca is about 10 hours away from Madrid), but that's fine. Between the rocks and the city, i'm sure we'll have more than enough to keep our mind grapes occupied.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 9, 2009, 6:17 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook