Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Jul 14, 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular)  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Haycock_Mtn)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm planning to go to Haycock Mtn in a few weeks and was hoping to get my hands on a guide before i go.
I found good info on Hanger 18 and have been able to piece together some of the other spots from threads/online info/etc, but a guide with all of the areas outlined in a single source would be killer.

Anyone know of one?
I've heard there's supposed to be a guide book focusing on South Eastern PA, but i can't seem to find it anywhere...

Thanks

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 14, 2009, 12:40 PM)

justincompton79

Jul 14, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your looking for "A Bouldering guide to Haycock Mountain" by Char Fettorolf.... it's hard to find. Rob Holtzman's website has good detail of Hangerside... your going to want to avoid the Caves at this time of year unless you bring a machete and your immune to P.I., I suggest going to Teddybear, Toprocks and Hangerside and stay on the trails.... you should be able to avoid the poison ivy.

sp00ki

Jul 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #3 of 15 (4851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justincompton79] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say "Hangerside", do you mean "Hanger 18"?
http://www.paclimbing.com/hanger_18_guide_page.htm
That's the only guide i've been able to find about the mountain. Nice directions and a topo map which i'm pretty sure we're going to need the hell out of...
I've also searched a bit for Rob(ert) Holtzman's site, but have come up empty handed so far.

Any more advice?

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 15, 2009, 12:05 PM)

justincompton79

Jul 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4841 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it's the same place...
Rob's website is www.paclimbing.com.

sp00ki

Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justincompton79] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... having trouble finding anything other than Hanger 18 on www.paclimbing.com.

Am i missing something obvious?

I've also heard a lot of chatter about the PA Climbing Guidebook:
http://www.paclimbing.com/guidebook_page.htm
But can't seem to find a place to purchase it either.

Is it actually complete?

Thanks again for the help, it's really appreciated.

adatesman

Jul 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new PA guidebook has been in its final stages for what, 2 or 3 years now? No idea when/if it'll ever come out. Frown

I think your best bet for finding the Fetterolf guide would be to call the Doylestown Rock Gym. They're less then 15 minutes from Haycock and had a decent pro shop (by non-climbing destination standards) last time I stopped in. I suspect that's where I got my copy...

(This post was edited by adatesman on Jul 15, 2009, 12:48 PM)

sp00ki

Jul 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunate news...

Just called the Doylestown Gym; they haven't had any copies for quite awhile.

Sooo... my next step is, i guess, to either offer to purchase a used copy from someone who no longer needs theirs or somehow entice someone to hand one off for a few days for the purpose of expeditiously taking scans.

Anyone? I'd be willing to pay a fee for borrowing the book if that helps. Seems like this area has enough developed rock that this guide would be something really helpful to those local to the SE PA area.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 15, 2009, 1:05 PM)

clymber

Jul 15, 2009, 1:45 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hate to break the news to you but haycock will be in terrible conditions full of posion ivy and mosquitos...its best to go there oct-april...its very friction dependent.....if you are dead set on going i would reccomend doing it at night when its a bit cooler...if you do find a guide book i would stay on the hanger side since its the easiest to find and you are less likely to get lost

sp00ki

Jul 15, 2009, 2:58 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clymber] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hanger 18 does seem pretty populated (with boulders), so perhaps we'll hang in that area.

Though after seeing these pics:
http://ytamari.cocolog-nifty.com/...ck_mtn_aug_2d09.html
(from august 2008), I was under the impression that while not comfortable, conditions would be good enough to climb-- provided we brought chalk and Off Deep Woods (provides at least five hours between applications).
Are you sure it's going to be as bad as you're suggesting? Those pics really don't look too overgrown at all. While hiking through excessive growth is a pain, having access to dozens of problems at a time (20 problems rated V0-V4 in Hanger 18 alone) seems way worth the trouble.

Poison ivy, on the other hand, could be an issue. Is it that bad, or is keeping an eye open enough?

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 15, 2009, 3:05 PM)

adatesman

Jul 15, 2009, 3:00 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey sp00ki-

Ignore what I said in my PM about not knowing how to track down the author of the guidebook... Google knows all! At least, I doubt there's many other people named "Char Fetterolf" wandering around doing photography of SE PA.

www.charfetterolfphotography.com

clymber

Jul 15, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i lived in PA we never went there in the summer...i cant really say how bad the conditions just know they arent the best in the summer and im one of those ppl that get poison ivy if the wind blows the wrong way...we would stop going there once it got up over 60 at night....
not sure what sort of bouldering you are used to but to give you a little beta its more technique then strenght there....drop your hip 1/2 inch or more the foor a little can change a v2 into a v4....

sp00ki

Jul 27, 2009, 1:20 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Hey sp00ki-

Ignore what I said in my PM about not knowing how to track down the author of the guidebook... Google knows all! At least, I doubt there's many other people named "Char Fetterolf" wandering around doing photography of SE PA.

www.charfetterolfphotography.com
Can't believe i missed this...

I just sent an email. My fingers are crossed, i'll let you know what i hear back.

jonqdoe

Aug 13, 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to dig up this ancient thread because I'm curious...how were the conditions in the summer? Were they at least tolerable? I just moved to Philly and was thinking about checking this place out tomorrow, but if it'll be a waste of my time until the fall, I'll go to the gym.

lazymonkey

Mar 28, 2011, 5:17 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonqdoe] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bumping this cause i am also curious...

anyone know any beta on the area??

dbogardus

Mar 28, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lazymonkey] Looking for Haycock Mtn guide (bouldering in particular) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lazymonkey wrote:
bumping this cause i am also curious...

anyone know any beta on the area??

Rob's eastern PA guide is now available at paclimbing.com. While it doesn't include everything, it's definitely the most comprehensive and easily accessible guide that I know of.

If you're from PA and climbing other stuff in the area too it's probably your best bet and definitely worth picking up.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook