Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
red rock canyon Guide now available!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

anykineclimb

Nov 5, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2744 views)
Shortcut

red rock canyon Guide now available!!  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you know Red Rock Canyon Open Space officially opened last
Friday. The park is really a wonderful place to climb. It is very
peaceful. Even with the occasional hikers and bikers it is a far
cry from the insanity of the Garden. With the now 85+ routes that
have been established there are plenty of routes for everyone.

The climbing is pretty much all slab climbing. Very technical and
balancy. Yes, Bill even I have adapted to slab climbing. Routes vary in grade from 5.6-5.13 with alot of 5.6-5.9 climbs. The routes are well bolted based on the response we have gotten from several climbers this weekend. The first bolt is not so high as to risk life and limb but the bolts are spaced far enough apart that the thrill of climbing is definitely in
your face (i.e., 5 bolts on a 100 ft climb). There are alot of long
routes. Eighty feet plus routes are common. Many routes are 100
feet plus, so bring your 60 meter rope. The majority of the routes
have east and southern exposure so there is plenty of sunshine for
the cold winter months.

Route finding is not a walk in the park. Some routes that look 5.6
are 5.10 and some that look 5.10 are 5.6. To this end Stewart Green
will be putting out a guide book to the area. He expects the book
to be available this weekend.

Stewart Green and Mike Heinrich finished the first official printing of the guidebook today. It looks great. There are 91 routes counted to date. We will be selling the books for $ 5.00 (list price is $ 8.95) this weekend.
(weather providing) The profit from the book will go toward defraying the cost of the development. Do the math, at $ 3.50 per bolt and hanger X 85 routes you need to sell a whole lot of books before you ever get to break even. Anything that exceeds the development costs will go towards a fund to maintain the routes. Bob and Stewart are working on that fund.

Bring your gear, a five spot and all the balance you can muster. You'll need your balance when you run out of place to put your feet.

Fuzzual

Jul 15, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] red rock canyon Guide now available!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there! I am pumped to hear there is a new (and close) sporting area ready for climbing. I have read about the release of the guide book and wondered if there is anywhere I can find the book in the Denver area. I am planning a trip down in a couple of weeks and would like to be prepared. Thanks in advance!
Brian

jt512

Jul 15, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] red rock canyon Guide now available!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
balancy. Yes, Bill even I have adapted to slab climbing. Routes vary in grade from 5.6-5.13 with alot of 5.6-5.9 climbs. The routes are well bolted based on the response we have gotten from several climbers this weekend. The first bolt is not so high as to risk life and limb but the bolts are spaced far enough apart that the thrill of climbing is definitely in your face (i.e., 5 bolts on a 100 ft climb).

Run-out moderate slab. Woo-hoo!

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 15, 2009, 4:06 PM)

ImNotHeySean

Jul 17, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fuzzual] red rock canyon Guide now available!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuzzual wrote:
Hey there! I am pumped to hear there is a new (and close) sporting area ready for climbing. I have read about the release of the guide book and wondered if there is anywhere I can find the book in the Denver area. I am planning a trip down in a couple of weeks and would like to be prepared. Thanks in advance!
Brian

I just bought the book for $12 at the Garden of the Gods Visitor center. Its not very good/easy to use or understand. Bad pictures, good route descriptions.

I'd be happy to climb with you at Red Rocks and you can use my book all you want Tongue

PM me if you come down, I'm in the Springs and it takes me 10 minutes to get to Red Rocks Canyon

rtwilli4

Jul 17, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] red rock canyon Guide now available!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
anykineclimb wrote:
balancy. Yes, Bill even I have adapted to slab climbing. Routes vary in grade from 5.6-5.13 with alot of 5.6-5.9 climbs. The routes are well bolted based on the response we have gotten from several climbers this weekend. The first bolt is not so high as to risk life and limb but the bolts are spaced far enough apart that the thrill of climbing is definitely in your face (i.e., 5 bolts on a 100 ft climb).

Run-out moderate slab. Woo-hoo!

Jay

If every climber was a 5.12 sport climber then you wouldn't have anywhere to climb :)

Fuzzual

Jul 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ImNotHeySean] red rock canyon Guide now available!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks man! I will hook up with you as soon as I make the trip down. It has proven a little chaotic right now, but I hope to head down soon!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook