RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

hansol04

Jul 16, 2009, 2:07 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Summer Scrambling Advice/Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I'm new to the"mountaineering" thing, and as such am starting small with my outings. I'm going to be doing some summer scrambling in the Alberta Rockies here soon, and was wondering if anyone could pitch on what would be some good scrambling-specific equipment, as well as lend any applicable advice. I have read FOTH, but am looking for a little less "technical" advice now.

I obviously have the essentials (a pack, compass, waterbottle, guidebook, etc), but am curious about any other "unique" gear that one might take with them. I borrowed some advice from another thread, and have a 30m static rope, along with some 8' and 6' slings and a couple carabiners. I also have an ice axe and will be getting crampons here very soon as well for future "difficult" climbs.

Anyways, I suppose this is a long winded way of saying if there are any scramblers here on the forum, let me know if there are any bits of advice/gear that you've found helpful for the summer scrambling months.

(This post was edited by hansol04 on Jul 16, 2009, 3:07 AM)

skiclimb

Jul 16, 2009, 4:48 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hansol04] Summer Scrambling Advice/Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many of my favorite days have been with a very simple kit.

A tiny grivel 45cm mini ice tool (for arrest or maybe a quick stick if needed)

trail runner shoes and a pair of strapon crampons that fit em.

A fanny pack with a bit of food and a half liter waterbottle and iodine tabs .

oh and a windbreaker and cap that fit in the fanny pack.

sunglasses socks shorts t-shirt,... underwear optional.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Jul 16, 2009, 4:50 AM)

harpo_the_climber

Jul 17, 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you use hiking poles, look at the Black Diamond whippet. It saved my life one (self arrest) when I didn't think I would need an ice axe. You can get a two piece lower from BD as a spare part.

hafilax

Jul 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A helmet and an ice ax. A lot of scrambling involves loose rock as well as rockfall from melting snow and ice. My first scramble was Mt. Temple and one in our party was hit in the helmet with a sizable rock. We plunged out way to the summit and not being able to self arrest would have been deadly.

If you haven't already, you can check out http://www.clubtread.com which is mostly a BC hiking board with some stuff on Alberta as well as scrambling, climbing and mountaineering. The local scrambles guide author flattered us with praise as the best hiking and scrambling resource for BC because of the detailed TRs.

hansol04

Jul 17, 2009, 1:03 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Summer Scrambling Advice/Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far. My friend and I attempted to tackle Mt. Kidd today. We have done a few relaxing easy scrambles on well-marked trails before, but this would be the first time attempting a "real" mountain.

Needless to say, Kidd kicked our asses. We made it 500m from the summit before we had to turn around due to incoming weather and a "gut feeling". The loose scree was brutal, both on the ascent AND descent. But it was still fun nonetheless, and after the blisters and sore bones heal, we'll try and tackle another one. It was a good showing I think for a first outing with no real experiencein our pockets.

The Mountain

The Gear

High Point of the Day. (Summit is just to the right of the "chimneys" in the background.)

Cheers!

(This post was edited by hansol04 on Jul 17, 2009, 1:06 AM)

skiclimb

Jul 17, 2009, 5:40 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a fine day in the mountains.. The most important thing to take with you is good judgment.. no summit really matters..

judgement allows any n00b to survive..knowing when you are above your head..

tough calls.. desire to go up with that nagging feeling your getting into trouble...

adventure.. what it is all about...

knowledge and skills gained will make you early trips seem elementary...but theres always a challenge available beyond

continue on as you are

Scooter12ga

Jul 17, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Summer Scrambling Advice/Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine gaiters and/or trail gaiters will keep the occasional snow, mud, and scree out of the boots. At this time of year, they help to keep grass seeds and burrs out of the socks. Also, gaiters will add a bit of warmth in winter - but you'll be using them anyway for the snow.

(This post was edited by Scooter12ga on Jul 17, 2009, 1:08 PM)

skiclimb

Jul 18, 2009, 2:21 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scooter12ga] Summer Scrambling Advice/Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scooter12ga wrote:
Alpine gaiters and/or trail gaiters will keep the occasional snow, mud, and scree out of the boots. At this time of year, they help to keep grass seeds and burrs out of the socks. Also, gaiters will add a bit of warmth in winter - but you'll be using them anyway for the snow.

Duct tape works too

hehe

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook