RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

indigo_nite

Dec 3, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

female role models
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have two in climbing.

one is a lady in my local climbing club. she's a jtree local and has been climbing/mountaineering for years. women and men (just about everyone who I've heard talking about her) respect her fitness and climbing ability. she has a sensible head on her shoulders and though she leads 10s, I've never heard her spray about past achievements.

the other is Lynn Hill. she's petite, graceful, and an uber-athlete. on reading her auto-bio, I didn't see her spraying either... though she's super accomplished. and she didn't forget to have a baby... WoW.

ginerbiner

Dec 3, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Re: female role models [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1) Lynn Hill / Robyn Ebersfield, both moms, super climbers, my size, down-to-earth.
2) Christine Boskoff of Mountain Madness, owner/operator, climber, mountaineer, extremely focused and goal oriented, down-to-earth.
3) Katherine Hepburn for her independence, class, spunk, love all her movies

jay_climbingchick

Dec 5, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #3 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I look up to Lynn Hill. After Reading her book I just wish I was as good at climbing as she is.

angelaa

Dec 26, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #4 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My female rock climbing role model is JAN CONN.
I look up to her b/c when she started climbing (old school) not only were they just tying into hemp rope and using converse tennis shoes or hob nail boots to climb, but she was bucking the system by being an Adventurous FEMALE climber in a Male dominated world!

Kudos to her and for paving the way for so many wonderful women climbers!!

angelaa

Jan 9, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #5 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump . . .

are there that FEW female role models out there ? If so, then we are in a sad way! :cry:

iamthewallress

Jan 9, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #6 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
are there that FEW female role models out there ? If so, then we are in a sad way! :cry:

There aren't that many different names that come up, and I guess I feel like everyone has read my short list about 20 times by now. Maybe there'd be more to add if people wrote about what they found inspiring in their role models? For example, I've never heard of Jan Conn, but I'd be interested to know more about her if you were willing to share.

Melissa

climbhigh2005

Jan 10, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #7 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is already a MILLION forums about this... :wink: PLEASE read other ones before making ur own! :P

8) mine for the 1 thousanth time: Lynn Hill and Beth Rodden

troutboy

Jan 10, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #8 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For example, I've never heard of Jan Conn, but I'd be interested to know more about her if you were willing to share.
Melissa

Herb and Jan Conn are pretty well known for their caving and climbing adventures. They began climbing in the northeast around the end of WWII, making several early first ascents at Seneca Rocks and a couple of notable hard climbs at Cannon Cliffs (where Jan led most of the hard pitches).

Herb and Jan moved to South Dakota in the early 50's or so and did numerous first ascents in the Needles. They also began serious exploration and mapping of Jewel Cave and continued doing so into the 1990s (I'm guessing) until the cave reached over 100 miles. Hell, they may still be actively caving, just not so long or so hard !

They wrote a book about the mapping in Jewel Cave, The Jewel Cave Adventure, in 1977, published by Zephyrus Press. It's a pretty good read, even if you are not a caver. Great recipe for Apple-Logan in the back.

I just saw a picture of Jan in one of the recent climbing rags (I think).

TS

litleclimberchick

Jan 12, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #9 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my role models are beth rodden and lisa rands

maculated

Jan 12, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #10 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I don't aspire to the heights that the professional climbers have reached, I look elsewhere for my inspiration:

I really admire Queen Latifah. There's a woman that made it against the odds. In an industry that touts skinny, white, traditional woman, here's this large but beautiful black woman who is multi-talented and really at the top of her game. She says a lot of things to the women of today with her success and attitude:

You don't have to be skinny to be beautiful
You don't have to be what people tell you to be
There isn't any adversity you can't overcome
Make fun of yourself
Have a good attitude and good poise and the world will take care of the rest
Be picky about the opportunities that present themselves - you deserve the best
Deserving the best means giving your best

Yup, how I love the Queen.

angelaa

Jan 12, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #11 of 15 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since I don't aspire to the heights that the professional climbers have reached, I look elsewhere for my inspiration:

I agree with you Maculated!
That is why I chose Jan Conn! There was nothing driving this woman but her sense of adventure and exploration! No Money, No fame. . . just the NEED to climb!
Nothing I respect more!

lucymeds

Jul 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #12 of 15 (7384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angelaa] female role models [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, im doing a research enquiry statistics essay for my uni course and wondering if i could get some feedback on your thoughts on female climbers. Specifically any sacrifices women may have to make when choosing climbing as a career or a family etc. Any thoughts or feelings or even personal experiences would be very much appreciated! THANKYOU!!

clee03m

Jul 21, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #13 of 15 (7339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucymeds] female role models [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry. After reading the entire thread and wonderwoman's response I think I understand your question.

I've read Lynn Hill's and Steph Davis's books, and they address gender politics and climbing as it applies to their climbing experience.

If you want a non-professional view on climbing and sacrifice as a mother, read this thread:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...3;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by clee03m on Jul 21, 2009, 5:37 PM)

wonderwoman

Jul 21, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #14 of 15 (7330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucymeds] female role models [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest looking into the book Savage Summit by Jennifer Jordan. It's about the first 5 women who climbed K2 and the sacrifices they made:

http://www.amazon.com/...untain/dp/0060587156

It's a great read! Very inspirational!

Also, I like Alison Hargreaves' response to criticism of being a mountaineering mom:
http://www.everestnews.com/...alisonhargreaves.htm

Alison was a mother of two and began to experience some bad press and double standards just before her Everest climb. Though she had been climbing for years, she had gone fairly unnoticed. Suddenly the climbing community and the press began to question whether it was morally responsible for a mother to leave her small children at home to climb. Her past climbs were also put into question; Alison had climbed Eiger Nordwand in 1988 while she was 6 month pregnant. Her response to this criticism was that she was pregnant, not sick and that she had thought about taking her husband and children with her to base camp, but she feels it’s rather “inhospitable” there. Besides, none of her male climbing partners had brought their young families along for the climb.

kiwiprincess

Jul 21, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #15 of 15 (7295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [indigo_nite] female role models [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My insipiration is my Mom
She's not a climber but she Has a great career, Is the leader of her family,an awesome caring mom, has a good social life, makes time for her interests and hobbies (including hiking)
This is a great example of a normal person finding a good balance and making life work. I would be proud to be nearly as strong a woman as her.
I'm a bit obsessed with climbing but From her example I get involved in other community activities, nurture my friendships and relationship and find a balance that brings me happiness.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook