Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Social Outcast
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thegrassr00ts

Jul 19, 2009, 2:21 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Social Outcast  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, this is my first twelve. I made it to the top with 2 hangs the first time. I pumped out on my second ascent pulling the last move over the lip before we got chased of by rain. (Yes, I know it's overhung and doesn't really get wet but my belayer was bitching and it was late.) Anyways, not that I'm an expert on route grades or anything, especially considering this is really the first 12 I've tackled, but I got to say, this thing seems softer than Snuggle the bear. I did have some beta going in, I'm a tall guy who likes reachy, overhung problems on big holds, but I mean, this thing feels mid-11 at most. Sure there's a pump factor, a couple of toughish moves, but I just think there are plenty of 5.11's at Rumney that are much harder than this thing. The most recent guidebook I've seen has it as 12a, RC.com has it at 12b. Any thoughts on this just being a giftwrapped 12?

redrocker

Jul 19, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thegrassr00ts] Social Outcast [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never look a gift horse (I mean giftwrapped 12) in the mouth.

jakedatc

Jul 21, 2009, 9:31 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redrocker] Social Outcast [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It fits your body type and endurance ability. simple as that. It's solid 12a.. i don't think it's 12b. rc.com is not the guidebook so.. it can be wrong.. as in this case. i think ward has it as a/b in the book but it's generally considered 12a

beta is super helpful.. it does have some hidden holds and sequences that make it alot easier knowing beforehand.

basically, be happy you sent and move on.

boadman

Jul 21, 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Social Outcast [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The moves are 12a, I think. It's not a hard route to send, because of it's shortness. Neither is orangahang, or pretzl logic, or silver surfer, or... wait... everything in Rumney is short and bouldery, isn't it. If you can boulder V3, you can send 12s there, no problem.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$2.25 (10% off)
$4.05 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook