Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hidden Rock Lead Rack
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ticebf

Jul 23, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1593 views)
Shortcut

Hidden Rock Lead Rack  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Hidden_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you guys rec carrying for these rocks? I'd like to lead and establish TRs for the group....

Are there mostly natural anchors available for the TRs?

Thanks!

naitch

Jul 23, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ticebf] Hidden Rock Lead Rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really a place to lead, though if you're idea of leading is a few 25-50 foot climbs, then go fer it. You could probably get by with a minimal rack: a set of nuts and cams through #2. There''s only a few cracks that swallow gear, otherwise you'll need to be creative and/or live with some runouts. Micronuts might help on a climb or two.

You don't need to lead any of the climbs to set top ropes. You do need static rope or webbing to extend the biners over the edge from the trees, gear or anchors. Lots of trees to sling. Three climbs have fixed anchors at the top, and a couple nuts or cams along with the webbing/static rope will allow you to TR any climb there.

the1esteban

Jul 23, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Hidden Rock Lead Rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

naitch wrote:
Not really a place to lead, though if you're idea of leading is a few 25-50 foot climbs, then go fer it. You could probably get by with a minimal rack: a set of nuts and cams through #2. There''s only a few cracks that swallow gear, otherwise you'll need to be creative and/or live with some runouts. Micronuts might help on a climb or two.

You don't need to lead any of the climbs to set top ropes. You do need static rope or webbing to extend the biners over the edge from the trees, gear or anchors. Lots of trees to sling. Three climbs have fixed anchors at the top, and a couple nuts or cams along with the webbing/static rope will allow you to TR any climb there.

Exactly what he said.
Perfect place to take a beginner group. TR set up and climbs are easy enough. There's some short, very straight-forward gear routes on upper hidden. This is a great place to learn basic TR and trad.
If you decide to lead Snowblower (5.9 roof, 2 bolts) obviously bring some gear and be ready for the runout at the end. I'd TR it and check the first bolt before you lead it (it was spinning last time i was there)
And just my personal pet peeve...trunks and branches have been places along the trail to protect those areas from erosion. Please pay attention to that and follow the main trail.
Have fun
EDIT: I just saw your other post about Old Rag...I strongly recommend you checking out Hidden before Old Rag if you haven't lead outside before.

(This post was edited by the1esteban on Jul 23, 2009, 2:39 PM)

cragmasterp

Sep 23, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ticebf] Hidden Rock Lead Rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

couple routes i would recommend leading @ lower Hidden:
Snowblower
Snowblower/steamroller link-up (lead snowblower thru roof then step right to steamroller finish past fixed pin)
Cool Fool - nice 5.8 lead, with great finish through upper dihedral/roof
Rainy Day Woman - a bit spicy once past the roof.

roninthorne

Sep 29, 2009, 6:53 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the1esteban] Hidden Rock Lead Rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumor was that Lester Zook and some folks from JMU were coming out there to shore up erosion points and possibly install some steps in the gully leading up to the top of Li'l Bubba. Any word on that action from recent visitors?

the1esteban

Sep 29, 2009, 7:17 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Hidden Rock Lead Rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
Rumor was that Lester Zook and some folks from JMU were coming out there to shore up erosion points and possibly install some steps in the gully leading up to the top of Li'l Bubba. Any word on that action from recent visitors?

This is true. JMU's Adventure Program got some students out there on the pouring rain this Saturday to work on the trial. Thanks to all who participated...wish I could have been there!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook