First national study to examine rock climbing-related injuries
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mnottingham

Jul 24, 2009, 8:26 PM
Post #26 of 29 (653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] First national study to examine rock climbing-related injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is part of a phrase attributed to the 19th Century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli and later popularised in the United States by Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." The statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions

Martim

Jul 24, 2009, 8:51 PM
Post #27 of 29 (641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockreaver] First national study to examine rock climbing-related injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I make up statistics all the time. 99% of the climbs I do are done perfectly (the stairs, the ladder into the pool, the step up into the pantry, etc...) around my house the climbing difficulty is all rated by how many toys the children have left lying around. Something as simple as going up stairs can become 5.14z very quickly depending on the trail of Legos and their "percentage" of carpet covered. If the Legos are on hardwood that's like free-solo and you'll probably die.

Haha, Jumbo Lego 5.15z

rockreaver

Jul 24, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #28 of 29 (633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Martim] First national study to examine rock climbing-related injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my feet really sucks. It's got some nerve damage in it so if I step on something really small barefoot in just the right spot it's like stepping on a nail that also is running hot with about 10,000 amps of current.

The other night I'm coming down the stairs after checking on the kids. I'm a bad-azz climber now so I don't need the freaking rail on the stairs right? I stepped on a perfectly square lego on top of a small pocket book (you know the card-board stupid pocket books that have like 4 pages and are an inch thick) and it got me in the sweet spot. I fell into a perfect yard-sale at the bottom of the stairs and my wife is in bed shoveling in the 'corn and I hear this, "...hey I heard something loud are you okay..." I come limping in swearing and angry and she busts out laughing.

She says, "No, no don't say it at all. Square lego on the book at the 2nd stair from the bottom right?" and I just about died laughing then and there.

It was pretty funny!

5.15z (It's the new climbing grade in my house that means it's a toy on the stairs and it's going to kill you.)

(This post was edited by rockreaver on Jul 24, 2009, 9:05 PM)

dingus

Jul 25, 2009, 5:15 AM
Post #29 of 29 (615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] First national study to examine rock climbing-related injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey come on now I was just giving you the flavor of the sentiment. I don't think you're a meglomaniac. I know its a turn of phrase. I just don't cringe when climbers get a black eye I guess. I'm sorta rugby proud of her bruises.

Climbing has a hard edge to it. She don't forgive no one their hubris. No one.

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook