Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Beal Flyer 2 60M Cord? Reviews and Help Please!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

austinnokc

Jul 27, 2009, 1:02 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Beal Flyer 2 60M Cord? Reviews and Help Please!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have done some searching on RC.com in the forums and have not found adequate info about this rope. Also online in other sites can't find much either.

I Currently own a 60M Beal Edlinger 10.2 mm standard cord. However I am a little worried about a bad spot on the sheath that was caused from my lack of rope protection first time using it. The core seems okay in the area just a little more spongy compared to the rest of the cord. Is it still safe?

However I do want a new rope since I know how to properly "abuse" and use the gear now. I really like Beal's rope quality especially the abuse my Edlinger has taken. I am about 95% sure that I want the Beal Flyer II 10.2 for my next rope. Since my Edlinger's hand is great after it was broke in.

Please help me as to the Hand, Durability, Wearability, and Catch of the Beal Flyer II 10.2. (Dry/Golden Dry doesn't matter to me at this time)

Thanks a lot,
Austin Wink
Keep going UP!

P.S. - http://www.justropes.com has a special on the Flyer II. 60 M dry for $188.00.

(This post was edited by austinnokc on Jul 27, 2009, 1:04 AM)

jt512

Jul 27, 2009, 1:18 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [austinnokc] Beal Flyer 2 60M Cord? Reviews and Help Please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

austinnokc wrote:
I have done some searching on RC.com in the forums and have not found adequate info about this rope. Also online in other sites can't find much either.

I Currently own a 60M Beal Edlinger 10.2 mm standard cord. However I am a little worried about a bad spot on the sheath that was caused from my lack of rope protection first time using it. The core seems okay in the area just a little more spongy compared to the rest of the cord. Is it still safe?

However I do want a new rope since I know how to properly "abuse" and use the gear now. I really like Beal's rope quality especially the abuse my Edlinger has taken. I am about 95% sure that I want the Beal Flyer II 10.2 for my next rope. Since my Edlinger's hand is great after it was broke in.

Please help me as to the Hand, Durability, Wearability, and Catch of the Beal Flyer II 10.2. (Dry/Golden Dry doesn't matter to me at this time)

Thanks a lot,
Austin Wink
Keep going UP!

P.S. - http://www.justropes.com has a special on the Flyer II. 60 M dry for $188.00.

I've always suspected that the Flyer and the Edlinger are the same rope, marketed under two different names in order to have two different price points. Try the Flyer. I'd be surprised if you noticed any difference.

Jay

austinnokc

Jul 27, 2009, 3:01 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Beal Flyer 2 60M Cord? Reviews and Help Please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've always suspected that the Flyer and the Edlinger are the same rope, marketed under two different names in order to have two different price points. Try the Flyer. I'd be surprised if you noticed any difference.

Jay

The Flyer has a UIAA rating of 11 falls vs. Edlingers UIAA Rating of 8 falls. That is one major difference. I'd suspect that the Flyer II is a beter made rope.

jt512

Jul 27, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

austinnokc wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

The Flyer has a UIAA rating of 11 falls vs. Edlingers UIAA Rating of 8 falls. That is one major difference. I'd suspect that the Flyer II is a beter made rope.

I know the specs are different. I've just never been convinced that that's anything other than a marketing ploy. I've used both ropes for a decade, and I've never been able to detect any difference in impact force, handling, or longevity between them.

Jay

Carnage

Jul 27, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Beal Flyer 2 60M Cord? Reviews and Help Please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

btw, 188 isnt a particularly great deal for that rope. I never pay more than 130ish for a rope. i know for sure the flyer has been on sale for around 120. just takes some googling and patience.

austinnokc

Aug 1, 2009, 7:20 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone else help me out please?
Thank You

geezergecko

Aug 1, 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the Flyer 2 for the past 2 years as my lead rope and I find it to have the same characteristics as the other Beal ropes that I have had over the years (Top Gun, Booster 3) which is the typical Beal soft catch, feels thinner than other ropes of the same diameter, not as tough as say a Mammut, and pretty nice colors.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook