RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

ddt

Jul 28, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #1 of 15 (16406 views)
Shortcut

New look for Rockclimbing.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

We just switched over the final few sections of Rockclimbing.com to the new design. Today's change affects the Forums, Partner Finder, and various odds and ends like the My Profile page, My Account page etc. This means that the facelift is complete for the entire site.

Although I've mentioned this before, I'll recap the major changes for those hard-core forum users who rarely visit other parts of the site:
  • The My Stuff box is no longer available on the left, but rather at the top right as a dropdown. In the Forum section, as with the Home Page, we also display a My Stuff box in the top right section.
  • E-mail is no longer available on the main navigation bar - get to it from the My Stuff dropdown.
  • News is no longer available from the main navigation bar - get to it from the home page.
  • The colors have changed. You can play around with the color scheme and vote for your favorite by clicking the five colored boxes in the right of the main navigation bar.
Let us know if you have any thoughts or feedback, or if you happen to stumble upon something that doesn't look right.

Cheers,
Daniel

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 28, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 15 (16389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I noticed that before you made this post.

Looks good, and is very functionl Daniel.

Great job at minor tweaking to address our concerns.

Smile

Gmburns2000

Jul 28, 2009, 3:13 PM
Post #3 of 15 (16384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overall, things looks better. well done. thanks for the effort.

clausti

Jul 28, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #4 of 15 (16369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other than making it look different, what did this change?

not gonna lie, having the navigation stuff on the right is really annoying.

ddt

Jul 28, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #5 of 15 (16352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
other than making it look different, what did this change?

Nothing really. It's just a new look.

clausti wrote:
not gonna lie, having the navigation stuff on the right is really annoying.

See my post to your thread in Suggestions and Feedback. Sure, it's a change to get used to, but having account-specific links and notifications on the right is not an unusual paradigm.

DDT

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 28, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #6 of 15 (16310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does everyone else have an Olive Green banner at the top(where rockclimbing.com logo is) and then blue tones for the balance of the site?

Or is it just my computer?

Annnnnnd - what's this "vote" with color swatches on the upper right part on the navigation bar? I see that by clicking the leftmost swatch, I can make the page allover blueish/grey tones.... but, still. I don't get it.

And one other comment - Sin ce I got a new laptop, I haven't blocked ads. Looks like rc is only using Google Ads these days... hmmmmm..... Good luck with the site, DDT. I guess there's a lot of competition for the climbing user out there these days.

kennoyce

Jul 28, 2009, 8:53 PM
Post #7 of 15 (16244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just have to rant a bit here. So far most of the changes have been quite annoying and not at all helpful. I hate the fact that if I am reading through a thread in the forum and I want to post, I can't just login on that page, but instead have to click on the login button which navigates me away from the thread and then doesn't take me back.

I also like to see the recently submitted photos, but now instead of having a weeks worth of photos it only has a day's worth (even though it still says that there is a weeks worth).

Another annoying thing about the pictures is that with this new system you can't see the photo disctiption, or who submitted it once you have clicked on the photo to view it at full size. This info is only available on the thumbnail which is annoying because I don't care about having this info when it is only a thumbnail size, I want to see it full size then decide if I want to know more about it, or if I want to see other pics by the same person.

I am sure that there are many other things that are annoying about this new system since I seem to be running into them all the time, but those are the ones that stick out the most. If there is any way to fix any of them I would appreiate it.

Myxomatosis

Jul 28, 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #8 of 15 (16224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good apart from the five shades of Green.... can we get some diff colours?

jt512

Jul 29, 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #9 of 15 (16206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the look goes, I think it's mostly an improvement over the previous design. But everything related to the forums is ugly. This applies to the main forum index page, the individual forum index pages, and the forum threads themselves. I'm not at all artistic, so it's hard for me to pinpoint what is wrong. I think partly it's that the blue–grey background clashes with the color of the headers. Also, on the index pages, I miss having the alternating background colors for each row of the index. The pages look really blank as they are now (I can't tell if the alternating colors are completely missing or whether there just isn't enough contrast between them). Finally, I don't think I like the asymmetric two-column format of the forums, with the thread content on the left and the controls and ads on the right.

Jay

wjca

Jul 29, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #10 of 15 (16110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
I just have to rant a bit here. So far most of the changes have been quite annoying and not at all helpful. I hate the fact that if I am reading through a thread in the forum and I want to post, I can't just login on that page, but instead have to click on the login button which navigates me away from the thread and then doesn't take me back.

This was my biggest complaint, but it looks like its been fixed. So now I'm fine with the change.

ddt

Jul 29, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #11 of 15 (16085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
I hate the fact that if I am reading through a thread in the forum and I want to post, I can't just login on that page, but instead have to click on the login button which navigates me away from the thread and then doesn't take me back.

Yup... agreed. We've since fixed it.

In reply to:
I also like to see the recently submitted photos, but now instead of having a weeks worth of photos it only has a day's worth (even though it still says that there is a weeks worth).

Not sure what specifically you're looking at. We show recent photos on the site home page (8 random photos from the last 100) and on the photos main page (last 15 photos submitted). Then there are also quick links to all the new photos submitted during the past week, from the right sidebar on the photos main page (under the header "search photos" header as well as under the "Photos submitted this week").

In reply to:
Another annoying thing about the pictures is that with this new system you can't see the photo disctiption, or who submitted it once you have clicked on the photo to view it at full size.

Actually, this information is in the right sidebar. We've since moved the photo description back underneath the photo.

In reply to:
I am sure that there are many other things that are annoying about this new system since I seem to be running into them all the time, but those are the ones that stick out the most. If there is any way to fix any of them I would appreiate it.
I hope our fixes to the annoyances you pointed out above helps.

DDT

kennoyce

Jul 29, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #12 of 15 (16060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope our fixes to the annoyances you pointed out above helps.

Thanks for all of the fixes, it is much better now than it was.

In reply to:
Not sure what specifically you're looking at. We show recent photos on the site home page (8 random photos from the last 100) and on the photos main page (last 15 photos submitted). Then there are also quick links to all the new photos submitted during the past week, from the right sidebar on the photos main page (under the header "search photos" header as well as under the "Photos submitted this week").

What I was talking about here is when you go to the photos tab, then choose the link to "recently submitted (past week)" it used to pull up all of the photos from the past week, but now it only pulls up the photos from the past day. I just noticed that in the right side bar you can select each of the dates from the past week and see them all that way. I guess this really isn't a big deal, but I did like it better when it just brought up all of the photos so that you didn't have to go through them day by day.

Thanks for getting everything fixed though it is much better.

csousley

Jul 30, 2009, 3:48 PM
Post #13 of 15 (15967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work guys, looks great!

roninthorne

Jul 31, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #14 of 15 (15867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not having local events listed on the front page makes RC.com a much less attractive platform to people trying to get the "community" involved in preserving access and maintaining their own crags.

jkdfjkdfjkdfjkd

Jul 31, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #15 of 15 (15849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] New look for Rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, the fact that RC.com will not allow email forwarding out of RC.com to our "regular" email addresses means that we won't get notified when anyone emails us, unless we go through the whole login process for RC.com...this means that the RC.com email approach requires us to make RC.com our "primary" email address....which is, frankly, nuts.
RC.com trying to become a primary email site versus http://www.gmail.com, for example? Seriously?

You should allow us to POP our email OUT OF RC.COM and into our regular email accounts...or at least let us set up notification so that we know when someone on RC.com has emailed us here...

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook