Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Has climbing changed the way you feel about your body?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Nov 29, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Has climbing changed the way you feel about your body?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has it changed your body? For me the answers are: yes and yes. I feel so much better about the way my body looks and even stronger about its capabilities. I also think that I am leaner and more muscular than I was before I started climbing (despite the fact that I used to lift weights and use my stair master regularly). Truth is, prior to climbing I had a very poor body image even though I am 5'3", 110 pounds. I feel GREAT now. For the first time in my life I like what I see in the mirror.
Your thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: gblauer on 2002-11-29 19:45 ]

Partner missedyno

Nov 29, 2002, 5:09 AM
Post #2 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Has climbing changed the way you feel about your body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh hell yes! i haven't been able to make it to the rock gym for a while, so i went to the normal gym last night. working on some free weights, i felt great and confident. i even dug out some old exercise clothes that before i didn't want to wear because i didn't like my body. no no, not extremes like purple spandex, just normal clothing.

my body shape has changed anyway. i saw some new shoulder-area muscles yesterday!

i find that climbing also has made me more sensitive to the way my muscles feel. the most basic actions like carrying groceries or opening a door, i love the feeling of each muscle group doing their job!

ps- my posture was never bad but now it's better. i guess some of that's from confidence.

still going... my body is what i use to acheive things when climbing. therefore how could i knock it?

jaricaurte

Nov 29, 2002, 12:36 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My body has changed, but more becouse the 40īs than the climbing.

esimhs99

Nov 29, 2002, 5:32 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

absolutely...especially in my arms. my legs were fairly strong to being with, but now they are stronger, and my arms are MUCH more strong. i love it!

nikegirl

Nov 30, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've stated before here in threads...I've been amazed by the change my body has gone thru from climbing...
I started with a bit of a tame body...weight was about 130 ish..soft/but, active kickboxing...yoga.(before finding kick..and yoga weighed 165+)

started climbing...and then I was blown away slowly by the change of my shape...energy, motivation. Just blows my mind...
I've not been going to the gym so avidly...and not doing my kickboxing or yoga. I've gotta keep at it...go to Yoga again...get cardio in kickboxing...
I've noticed my stamina/endurance is a wee bit low. I think that comes from no cardio.

The climbing has found muscles/shape I didn't know exsisted in my body.

My favorite changes are in my arms.

bouldering kicks my a**/ and I know my body changed a lot from Just that, alone.
core/abs.

It's all good for me
I love climbing...and the side notes of body changes only make it all the better.

T

alpinebedy

Nov 30, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I started climbing 2-3 times a week I lost weight and got really toned. I also started eating about 4 meals a day. The best thing is that it was all unintentional cause I was so focused on improving my climbing. I've got way more confidence in myself now but I think that's because my frame of reference has changed. I'm not nearly as focused on how my body looks (my primary motivation for going to gym before I took up climbing) and I'm way more focused on what it does. I'm truly grateful to have a healthy body and appreciate all the joy it brings me. Too bad I stopped doing my cardio- it's so hard to do both and have a life. I'm trying to take dance classes now too.

farasnyl10

Dec 1, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think climbing has changed my body itself all that much. i've played a lot of different sports throughout the years, and have always had a fairly athletic body. i do think, however, that climbing has changed the way my body moves, in giving me better balance, and more grace in my movements.

mwbtle

Dec 2, 2002, 2:29 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, and I'm loving it. I was lean and mean as a swimmer, but had tons of muscle, so I've never been a light weight really. And then I hit college, freshman 20, meh... Though I did manage to lose a bunch when I suddenly had no money junior year...funny what a diet of pickles, doctor pepper, and cheezits will do to you.
I've been climbing weekly for a few months now and already I'm noticing differences. I have lats now...never had those before, so thats kinda neat, and I'm thinner than when I started...yay for that.

ecocliffchick

Dec 2, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing hasn't really changed my body physically but mentally my perceptions of what I can and can't do have changed. I too find myself looking at improvments in my climbing ability, rather than improvements in my appearance as the goals of going to the gym. I still wish I could get that skinny, toned look that I see on many of the climbers out there, but I think I'm doomed to be soft. So long as I can be soft and climb harder than the skinny chicks, I'll be happy!

olebetsy

Dec 2, 2002, 7:29 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it has increased my body awareness. The more I train, and get out on real rocks, the more I sense a need for my core to be stronger, that I need to pay attention more to how I move. I was a bike racer in my late twenties, and after having a kid, just kept my general fitness level up. It all transferred to climbing. In fact, a woman who ws giving our women's climbing group a clinic last night at our gym commented that she thought everything we do for fitness is useful in climbing. She's climbed all over the world, and done everything, gear, sport, bouldering, ice alpine, etc. And she's a swell person and teacher, to boot.
I also think it keeps you young! ;0)
Betsy

enigma

Dec 2, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm stronger,now I can pick up automobiles with no help, LOL

sarhawp

Dec 4, 2002, 10:10 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I never felt any terribly negative feelings toward my body before climbing, I absolutely love how climbing has toned and built up muslces especially in my upper body. My clothes fit me much better and I feel healthier and more energetic.

leahmeryl

Dec 5, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've definitely gotten stronger too. But sometimes I feel like my arms are getting too big - both my forearms and upper arms. I like being toned, but I don't want to look like a man!

It has really tightened my abs though! Now I have a six-pack (it's just hiding under an inch or two of tummy!).

I can really relate to whoever wrote that it's hard to find time to climb and cardio. I try to go to the rock gym 3-4 times a week. That doesn't leave much time for the regular gym. If only the rock gym had a treadmill...

mclee

Dec 5, 2002, 7:18 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to say that my shoulder, arm, oblique, & abdominal muscles have become much stronger and well-defined since I started climbing. Genetics be, I can't step into the free weight area any longer since I don't want to bulk up even more than I have. I have probably put on about five pounds of muscle, since I used to be 110 lbs, now at 115 lbs with a smaller waistline size.
Climbing also brings serenity to my well-being. It is the only thing that relieves my stress at the end of the day.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook