RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

vishnuepie

Nov 1, 2001, 4:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Morning Tendons
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many climbers out there have that pain in your finger tendons when u wake up? Were they just feel really tight and it hurts to move them. Well i was just wondering if this means i should take a break form climbin, stretch more ( i already stretch quite a bit), or is there anything else i could do to help it

hardcoredana

Nov 1, 2001, 4:43 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Morning Tendons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time my tendons hurt in the morning is if they hurt when I go to bed. If they still hurt in the morning, I usually take the day off. If your tendons hurt every morning, regardless of whether you climb the day before, you might want to consider taking a week off. Better safe than sorry, as the saying goes . . .

compclimber

Nov 1, 2001, 4:47 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make shure you drink enough water, its one of the foundations of building tendons.

greatgarbanzo

Nov 1, 2001, 5:14 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to check where are you getting those hands when you are asleep...

Usually when i get my hands into a weird position while i am sleeping i get this kind of pain... it usually last 3 to hrs!!!!

jds100

Nov 1, 2001, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just to muddy the waters a bit: , but it can depend somewhat on what kind of pain you're experiencing. If it's a sharp searing pain, and/or if it's associated with a particular finger, or finger position, or activity (holding a coffee cup, squeezing the toothpaste tube, etc.), and/or if there's discoloration, you need to see a sport's physician, 'cause you got a problem!

If you're feeling a kind of generalized ache-type 'pain', but you can do your normal activities with a fair degree of normalcy, then you've probably given your fingers an especially hard workout, but probably not outside of their limits (pretty close, though). You should take it easy on the hard climbing and bouldering, but you could climb easier stuff, where your feet and legs take most of the weight, maybe where you can rest no-hands occasionally on the climb. This doesn't mean work a hard route, and hang-dog in between tries. It means big holds for your hands and feet on easy routes.

Obviously, if the problem persists for more than 2o years, then you'll know that you're an addicted climber; you may then want to seek professional help. Some people, though, suggest waiting another 15 years, just to make sure.

Good luck.

nikegirl

Nov 1, 2001, 8:36 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pretty much experience this every morning after a climb. I wear quite a few rings on 8 out of 10 fingers. I can't for the life of me put them on. Swollen, and when I go to bend them, stiff. I'll usually drink tons of water, to stop retention. But, they look like little sausages...I've even joked about it. I thought it was just me.

T

jaydoc

Nov 7, 2001, 10:20 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're pharmacologically inclined, try taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory before hitting the sack. Many inflammatory conditions (rotator-cuff strains, etc...) actually become more pronounced overnight when the joints are more or less immobile. You've probably noticed that the pain diminishes the longer you've been awake and using your hands. Vioxx or Celebrex, while expensive, give great relief while not affecting other areas of the body like your over-the-counter type NSAIDs. That's because of their mechanism of action. Anyhoo. If you take a good dose before going to bed, it will lessen the pain and stiffness you feel on waking in the morning.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook