Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wanting to Hire Lead Climber
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

octar

Aug 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Wanting to Hire Lead Climber  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to hire a lead climber for a trip to the Red Tuesday. September 29. Their will be six of us in the party, everyone has climbed before (top roped) but none of us have ever sport climbed. We are wanting someone to lead and set up top ropes. We would like a local climber that is familiar with the area. We plan on climbing 4 to 5 hours. We will be bringing some rope, harneses, and other gear. Please don't refer me to True North Outfitters, as I have no desire to take out a second mortgage for 3 hrs. of climbing.

taydude

Aug 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [octar] Wanting to Hire Lead Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

firstly, don't trust those red river gorge climbers, they're all a bunch of gri gri toting noobs. Secondly, take a class and learn how to lead! it's not that hard.

wes_allen

Aug 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

octar wrote:
I'm looking to hire a lead climber for a trip to the Red Tuesday. September 29. Their will be six of us in the party, everyone has climbed before (top roped) but none of us have ever sport climbed. We are wanting someone to lead and set up top ropes. We would like a local climber that is familiar with the area. We plan on climbing 4 to 5 hours. We will be bringing some rope, harneses, and other gear. Please don't refer me to True North Outfitters, as I have no desire to take out a second mortgage for 3 hrs. of climbing.

If you want a guide, http://www.redriveroutdoors.com is the place to go. If you want to pay some random climber from Miguels in beer to take your group out, then that is up to you, but understand that being paid for guiding carries a pretty serious set of liability issues, and that you wouldn't be able to "legally" climb that way in several areas.

Partner oldsalt

Aug 16, 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Wanting to Hire Lead Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
If you want to pay some random climber from Miguels in beer to take your group out, then that is up to you, but understand that being paid for guiding carries a pretty serious set of liability issues, and that you wouldn't be able to "legally" climb that way in several areas.

What constitutes how to climb "legally"?

uni_jim

Aug 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Wanting to Hire Lead Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

not climbing illegaly of courseCrazy

rtwilli4

Aug 17, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Octar I sent you an email about the company I work for, Ascent Adventure Consultants. I will be guiding a trip at the Red that weekend and would love to talk with you about taking you climbing on the 29th. Our website does not have prices listed but I think you will find that we are less expensive than the competitors. Please feel free to call me any time!

wes_allen

Aug 17, 2009, 2:40 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
wes_allen wrote:
If you want to pay some random climber from Miguels in beer to take your group out, then that is up to you, but understand that being paid for guiding carries a pretty serious set of liability issues, and that you wouldn't be able to "legally" climb that way in several areas.

What constitutes how to climb "legally"?

If you are guiding for pay of FS land, you must have a permit (which requires insurance, etc). To guide for pay on private land has different rules, some places say not at all, some allow a couple companies, and some are open. Going cheap isn't a bad thing, but going illegally is, esp. when you consider the other companies out there trying to make a living and you are undercutting them by skipping the rules they have to follow.

Partner oldsalt

Aug 17, 2009, 2:54 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Wanting to Hire Lead Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wes,

Thanks for clarifying. Not ever using a guide, I didn't know about the details. It looked like you were saying that there were places where you had to have a guide to climb legally.

I'll give it up when that day comes.

Steve

marc801

Aug 17, 2009, 7:02 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
It looked like you were saying that there were places where you had to have a guide to climb legally.
There are. A prime example is Skytop at the Gunks. Privately owned by the Mohonk Mountain House hotel, it's been closed to climbing for over 20 years. It was recently reopened to climbing - however to do so you must be a guest at the Mountain House (~$300/night) and you must climb with a guide from the one guide service that they allow (~$150 additional).

sungam

Aug 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learn to lead. Seriously, it's not that hard. I mean, go to great wall in muir valley. There's a 7 there that you can lead with only letting your waist get above a bolt once...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook