RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dlintz

Aug 17, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6007 views)
Shortcut

Chalk bag for 2nd lens
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was looking at Think Tank's site, their lens holders are glorified chalk bags with glorified prices. I figured somebody has to be making larger, non fleece lined chalk bags that would be cheaper and work just as well. Any ideas?

d.

wes_allen

Aug 18, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Chalk bag for 2nd lens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't really think I agree - the think tank stuff is pretty burly, much more so then any chalk bag I have seen. I am sure you can get away with using a chalk bag though, if you want.

kovacs69

Aug 18, 2009, 3:24 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
I was looking at Think Tank's site, their lens holders are glorified chalk bags with glorified prices. I figured somebody has to be making larger, non fleece lined chalk bags that would be cheaper and work just as well. Any ideas?

d.

I have been thinking the same thing.

Try sam@kriegclimbing.com

http://kriegclimbing.com/custom-bag.aspx

He will make just about anything you want. Tell him the dimensions of the lens and weather or not you want it to be totally enclosed in the bag and I am sure he can do it. I will probably have him make me one soon.

Let me know how they work out for you.

Tell him the guy with the rastafarian pot leaf bag sent you.

Jon

dlintz

Aug 18, 2009, 3:59 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Chalk bag for 2nd lens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
Don't really think I agree - the think tank stuff is pretty burly, much more so then any chalk bag I have seen. I am sure you can get away with using a chalk bag though, if you want.

Wes, do you own any of those Think Tank lens holders? Are they padded? If they're burly enough to warrant the price I might consider it. I'd be using them for crag photography rather than long or alpine stuff.

Jon, thanks for the suggestion. I might check with him to see what he can do for me.

d.

chanceboarder

Aug 18, 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got one, they've got some padding in there, more than a chalk bag for sure but less than your standard bulky lens cases. Makes them more flexible then and easier to use then tradition cases by sacrificing a little protection. Definitely better then a regular chalk bag in my opinion unless you're carrying around one of those cheap kit lenses or some inexpensive prime or something like that.

Jason

kovacs69

Aug 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can have Sam at Kreig make a bag out of anything you like. Find a very durable fabric and send it to him. He can tell you how much you need. Tell him you need it a little oversize for a camera lens. You can make add plastic and lets say fleece to pad the inside when you get it back or you can ask him to do it for you. I would have him make you one, cut up a plastic milk carton and insert it yourself then add your own Fleece lining for padding. But I am sure if you let him know what you are using it for he could make a suggestion and a custom bag.

I know it sounds like I work for Kreig but he did a great job for me on a custom chalk bag and I will always give credit where credit is due.

Jon

wes_allen

Aug 19, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 10 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, I have one lens holder (bigger one - will hold my 79-200 2.8 IS with the hood reversed), the belt and a pouch thing, along with a glass taxi pack. They are made of burly material, the velcro belt attachment is very solid, drawstings nice, etc. Pretty much what you would expect from a solid company. But, a chalk bag might work just fine as well for a single, smaller, lighter, lens. Since I use the other parts of the system, it made getting the lens holder an easy choice.

dlintz

Sep 3, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Chalk bag for 2nd lens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up ordering a Lens Changer 35....actually they made a mistake and sent me TEN of them. After much thought about selling the extras I decided to contact Think Tank and offer to return eight of them and pay the shipping myself, they were fine with that.

While my 135L (with hood on) barely fits I am more than pleased with the Lens Changer 35, it's sturdier than I was expecting and the attached rain cover is a nice feature.

d.

the_alpine

Sep 11, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, the cats out of the bag. I've been using metolius chalkbags as lens pouches for over 10 years. Works like a charm. Ya, they're not padded with foam, but the 2 layers of fleece do a fine job of protecting them against scrapes and bumps.

Oh yeah, and since they're not actual "photo equipment" you won't have to ante up one months mortgage payment to get one either.

Kreig is a good guy and skilled craftsman. Im sure he could make you a sweet bag to your specs at a damn good rate.

(This post was edited by the_alpine on Sep 11, 2009, 9:09 PM)

dlintz

Sep 11, 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_alpine] Chalk bag for 2nd lens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like my post above yours says I went with the Think Tank lens bags and not a regular chalk bag. I wanted to have an extra bag so I could switch lenses in a hurry (lens cap off). I was worried about loose fibers sticking to the front element thus my desire for something non fleece lined.

d.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook