Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
PA Climbers Thread!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next page Last page  View All

joeforte

Jul 6, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #801 of 883 (17962 views)
Shortcut

Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you forgot your rope this past weekend, or know a friend that did, send me a PM because I picked it up. The reason I'm not saying where it was found is because the area is officially "closed" to climbing. It was laying all across the base of the cliff while we were there, and we couldn't find anyone around so when we left I grabbed it. I didn't want the local kids to come find it and pretend to be rock climbers!

smulder

Jul 7, 2009, 9:49 PM
Post #802 of 883 (17938 views)
Shortcut

PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey PA,

I am going on a motorcycle trip around the Rothrock and Wyoming State Park areas next weekend. Can anyone give me a run down on close by climbing areas since I'm not sure where to look since it falls dead center in PA for the most part and I'm not that sure on the area. I'd be up for sport, toprope or bouldering. Routes should be between 5.9 and 5.10d maybe easy 5.11s.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

blubeard

Jul 11, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #803 of 883 (17901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
If you forgot your rope this past weekend, or know a friend that did, send me a PM because I picked it up. The reason I'm not saying where it was found is because the area is officially "closed" to climbing. It was laying all across the base of the cliff while we were there, and we couldn't find anyone around so when we left I grabbed it. I didn't want the local kids to come find it and pretend to be rock climbers!

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking I could be persuaded to admit that I was climbing at Safe Harbor....and get a free rope out of it.

joeforte

Jul 11, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #804 of 883 (17890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blubeard] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bzzzt. Wrong area. Anyone else?

I need a color and manufacturer as well.

BlackSheep92

Aug 3, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #805 of 883 (17799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rwaltermyer] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Guys,

Always looking for a climbing partner for High Rocks/Stover area. Have all needed equipment, have seconded up at the Gunx and kene Valley, looking to learn leading. Can climb up to 5.7 so far, have a mised schedule with time off during the week/weekends. drop an e-mail to jschili@comcast.net if you might be interested.

Thanks, stay safe.

boymeetsrock

Aug 7, 2009, 6:24 PM
Post #806 of 883 (17764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BlackSheep92] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy Folks. I'm looking for a little info on the DWG PA side. Namely, how bad is the poison Ivy there?

I've been to the NJ side and the PI is horrendous. Is it at all avoidable on the PA side?

Thanks!

patrickgensel

Aug 18, 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #807 of 883 (17707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:

ohh thank god, you found my pink and aqua marine colored rope that i left at tilbury rocks Tongue haha jus playin

joeforte

Aug 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #808 of 883 (17688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patrickgensel] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patrickgensel wrote:
joeforte wrote:

ohh thank god, you found my pink and aqua marine colored rope that i left at tilbury rocks Tongue haha jus playin

Bzzzzzt, sorry... wrong color AND wrong place haha!

patrickgensel

Aug 19, 2009, 1:42 PM
Post #809 of 883 (17676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA good, i was hoping Tilbury rocks wasn't closed, i have yet to make it up there. though i do hear that access is a sensitive issue there. but im going off on a tangent. hope the person that owns that rope finds this :)

rocksomerocks

Sep 7, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #810 of 883 (17615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patrickgensel] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

two rattlers at J.B. rocks got photos of one of them and two climbers climbing two well try to post pic soon.

rocksomerocks

Sep 17, 2009, 4:31 AM
Post #811 of 883 (17572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocksomerocks] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

does any one know how i can put my full size rock photos on here with out cropping the things to death.thanks the full pictures are at photo bucket . com under Henry Ford 1971

ClimbinFF77

Sep 25, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #812 of 883 (17532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocksomerocks] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking to get into top roping. I've done some indoor climbing in the past few years but nothing serious. Just looking to get outside and have some fun.

I have a harness and will be getting a belay device when I get more into it.

I'm really close to Ralph Stover if anyone is interested in helping out a newbie I'd be happy to tag along.

rocksomerocks

Sep 27, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #813 of 883 (17513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbinFF77] Lost/forgot rope in Eastern PA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes if you ever get in the area of White tail ski resort look let me know.

adatesman

Oct 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #814 of 883 (17489 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

Enord92

Feb 19, 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #815 of 883 (17290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

looking for a partner to climb with at PRG Valley and Vertical extreme in Chester county PA.. im a novice so if you have experience I would love to learn some stuff from you.

dancottle

Feb 25, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #816 of 883 (17242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rokshoxbkr19] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey any climbers located around scranton? I live up in Clarks Summit from may to spetember about 5 mins from the morgan high way ridge. I dont know anyone who climbs locally so im looking for a partner etc.

dontfall

Feb 28, 2010, 1:41 AM
Post #817 of 883 (17192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dancottle] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Dickson city. I'm thinking about getting back into climbing. It's been several years but I'm reconsidering.

m.b.

Mar 13, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #818 of 883 (17090 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

I am from NY and I was considering doing some climbing in PA next week, based on this season's conditions. I read that Chikie Rocks were climbable even in Winter, is that true this year? Are many people out in March as long as it is warm enough?

Thanks!
MB

adatesman

Mar 13, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #819 of 883 (17081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dontfall] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably should throw this here as well... Mount Minsi at DWG (read: PA side) is temporarily closed due to nesting falcons. It should reopen again mid-summer, so please respect the closure and let the falcons do their thing.

Link to notice

-a.

markthedixon

Mar 19, 2010, 8:50 PM
Post #820 of 883 (17040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is anyone headed to Chickies tomorrow? I thought I might go in the morning.

nepaclimber

Apr 4, 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #821 of 883 (16927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markthedixon] PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking for some climbing partners for the next few months at Birdsboro, I am available both weekdays and weekends. I haven't been climbing regularly since I moved to the Philadelphia area but I have a rope and draws and a trad rack. I am looking for partners who want to climb in the 5.7-5.11 range.

zxcv

Apr 9, 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #822 of 883 (16876 views)
Shortcut

PA Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since the NJ Climber’s Coalition board gets almost no traffic, I am posting this here… some of the following reiterates questions posted but unanswered on that board.

I just downloaded the much anticipated (by me at least) Northeastern PA e-book guide from http://www.paclimbing.com/index.htm

If I am reading the info on the site correctly, this is one section of the upcoming print guide for the entire state. If so, I like this approach as I do not ever see myself driving the 6 hours to Mconnell’s Mill, etc. I would actually prefer separate mini guides that could be downloaded for each region as opposed to one unwieldy volume for the entire state.

The Bluebiner site indicates that a separate guide is forthcoming for the Gap… does anyone know if this is the case? The e-book has sparse coverage of Minsi and Tammany, and though some new routes are included, I believe most of them will have limited appeal (Jesus Built my Hotrod, 5.10c X = yikes!).

One aspect of the book strikes me as particularly unclear; bolting at the Gap.
According to the text; “The Access Fund has worked with the park regarding fixed anchors… The outcome of these talks about anchors is to allow safe replacement of poor existing anchors by designated individuals” [and] “At present, the park frowns on the use of motorized drills; however, permission has been granted to select individuals for anchor replacement of existing anchors only!” (33-4).

These statements indicate a sever restriction, if not an outright moratorium, on bolting.
However, on page 34 under the “Ethical Considerations” section the author indicates that good communication can ameliorate potential conflicts over bolting (which, I think, was the case in the recent Osprey anchor) and goes on to states that bolt placement will increase as many of the blank faces are bolted in order to establish new lines. Although guideliness for bolting are given, there is no indication that the practice is prohibited.

So, what is the case here? Is bolting allowed, but existing anchors can only be replaced by designated individuals?

Also, page 51 indicates that the Osprey rap station was established due to bird nesting, but I do not think this was the case. Was this statement included as some kind of diplomatic justification for why the existing anchor had to be placed? I though everyone involved was rather civil about the whole debacle at the time (thanks Aric and Joe for cleaning up the mess).

joeforte

Apr 10, 2010, 3:13 AM
Post #823 of 883 (16865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zxcv] PA Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, I think the separate ebook format is awesome. He'll be providing updates to it online as well.

I'm pretty sure he'll be selling a dwg miniguide on the side.

As for the nesting falcon comment, I believe the half dead tree that was once the old rap anchor was also a nesting site years ago. Although it clearly has not been recently, maybe this year it will.

As for new bolts in the gap... I just hope no more trad lines get retrobolted... Even if they are 5.12x!

zxcv

Apr 10, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #824 of 883 (16863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] PA Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have mentioned that the book was obviously a major undertaking requiring years of exploration and bushwacking... not always a pleasant task in PA (I have to take a machete every time I go to, what the book calls, the Land of the Lost boulders or thorns make them unapproachable).

I appreciate the undertaking and really enjoy the "go and explore" tone that permeates the text...

Joe, I assumed that if there were designated anchor replacers at the Gap that you'd be one of them, so I remain confused on that point.

Also, what trad lines had been bolted? Aside from 3 new anchors (Osprey, Witches, H and HH), I have not seen any new bolts in five years.

Lastly- to what degree is an X route, when defined as "Extremely poor gear, unreliable gear, or no gear. A fall would most likely result in serious injury or death" (p.23) significantly different from a free solo?
I agree and fully support NOT putting up sport routes, but the text indicates more to come, and I think many people would see little difference between the blank face of a X rated climb and a potential sport route. Is the distinction you make due to "trad" being defined as ground up ascent?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but if we agree that bolts ought not to be placed on trad routes, regardless of the safety of those routes, we have to have some idea of what "trad" implies... after all, the text does state that the first bolt placed at the Gap is what made Morning Sickness possible (p.52). Since no holds were manufactured, this means it made the route psychologically possible due to the increase in safety... for many people, an X route is not possible in the same way Morning Sickness was not prior to the bolt.

joeforte

Apr 10, 2010, 2:20 PM
Post #825 of 883 (16857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zxcv] PA Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crackpot 5.4? was retro'd with crappy bolts and washers under the hangers. They obviously had no idea what this does to the forces on the bolt, let alone the fact that they were bolting a trad route. The gap is no place for 5.4 sport climbs with loose rock. That is just asking to draw the wrong crowd.
Rob mentions a few others in the guide that were retro'd as well. This must not continue.

Your bolts vs. x question is an old debate, that will not be solved easily. I understand your point, but the debate is common all over the place. For example:

arrow (5.9?) in the gunks has bolts, but yellow crack (5.12r/x) does not. Why, I don't know...

First page Previous page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook