Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Start A New Area or Add to Existing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Aug 20, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Start A New Area or Add to Existing?  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I have started to get the bug again. Bouldering locally, and finally have kicked the IM bug out of my system at least for another year or so before the assault on Kona will begin anew.

So?

What is it that would be best?

- Add routes to DTSA? There is a sweet ~4 pitch arete begging to be developed not too mention wall after wall of empty space...

- Add clandestine @ Auburn? Seems kind of counter productive until access is locked down.

- Clean up Rockville? Chossy, crappy, but potential of a ~10 routes. Would need all glue ins. 1 route with glue ins already.

- Develop a smaller (<20 routes) new crag with potential near Napa? Nothing spectacular but zero approach. Literally 100 feet from the car...

- Develop a new crag with a lot of potential and close to populace / short hike? Sitting in plan view for ages. Even more obvious than DTSA was and certainly easier for me to get to. I already cut a trail out to it. Just need to lug in the metal and drill to start it up. Confirmed BLM.

I honestly can't decide. What is going to serve NorCal sport climbers better? I am tempted to return to DTSA and make that NorCals premiere destination. Sure the rock sucks, the hike is long, but there is so much potential. Or is this just wasted time? Expanding the routes from 50 to 100 would be a huge investment, but would it actually draw more people considering the 2+ mile hike only to be topped off with crappy rock but cool multipitch sport climbing?

Or would I be better off just finding an existing and established "already popular" location and start adding routes?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook