Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guidebook for Old Rag
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

davidbr

Aug 20, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #1 of 6 (5708 views)
Shortcut

Guidebook for Old Rag  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Old_Rag_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Never been to Old Rag. This website mentions the Horst guide. Are there any others?
If so, which would you reccomend?

Thanks for any help...

justroberto

Aug 20, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidbr] Guidebook for Old Rag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as published guides, the Horst is pretty much it. There's another Virginia guide, but it is outright the worst climbing guide I've ever seen. That's not hyperbole. It's terrible.

The first time you go, don't expect to get a ton of climbing in. You'll probably end up wandering around trying to figure out where everything is. Don't be afraid to bushwhack around a little.

koepkeca

Aug 20, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just as an FYI, I have Horst's book and it took me two trips to get some climbing in. I recommend taking a weekend and hiking in and setting up camp on the mountain (see the rules for details, there is no camping above 2900' or something like that..) As the approach is about 90 minutes. You can then explore from there. It is a pain to haul in all your gear and then not climb as the approach is moderately intense.

Below is a link to Summit Post data on Old Rag.
(Not sure if this is kosher.. but here it is.)
http://www.summitpost.org/...php?object_id=150782

jhernand

Aug 20, 2009, 4:54 PM
Post #4 of 6 (5665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is all you need to do. Find the tree with 3 trunks and drop down the hill. Oh my god area on your left (skiers left) and Reflector Oven on your right (skiers right) walk down until the trail flattens out a little, and I would suggest going right. Hit up Strawberry fields (both pitches) and explore the area to its left (lookers left) after that you can explore the area on your way back down. The horst guide is decent... but a little confusing. Definably take the fire road in, and park in the parking lot that connects to it. He describes this in the directions. don’t park at the lot where all the weekend hikers park (the main lot) hike the fire road all the way... pass the birds nest (I think that is what the picnic area is called) last altitude you can camp at, and hit the summit. This is a lot easier then the other approach... you can thank later. After hitting the summit stay on the ridge. pass the egg and keep an eye out for the tree with three trunks on your right. the trail is right there. like I said drop down 100 maybe 150 yards and enjoy! If you are going to camp do it on the other side of the river from the fire road going back to the main parking lot. That or on the “hot trail” there is a nice stream and good spots to toss up for the night. Especially if you go in the summer you will need the stream. It is good for cooking, and cooling off by at the end of the day. ummmm….. I guess that’s all…

davidbr

Aug 21, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jhernand] Guidebook for Old Rag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks much to everyone for all the help.

virginiapine

Sep 24, 2009, 3:00 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Reflector Oven is definitely not a very nice place to be (or even to get to, due to the stinging nettles that infest the trail this time of year) during the summer - very hot in the morning, hence the name. Much better during the late fall/winter/spring.
The better spots this time of year are the PATC/Skyline Wall, Summit Cliff, and Sunshine Buttress (though this last is not in any guide). I've put, I believe, pretty good instructions about these areas here in the rc.com database.
Note that only half the crags and routes on the mountain are in Horst. I've even got a few places still to explore...

Michael
Charlottesville, VA

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook