Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Canon D10? (Waterproof and rugged point-and-shoot)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

rsd212

Aug 24, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Canon D10? (Waterproof and rugged point-and-shoot)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Didnt want to hijack the other Canon compact thread, but does anyone have experience with the Canon D10? I'm just a point-and-shoot kind of guy and really just want decent pictures for my own use; not expecting to compete with the SLR-toting photographers out there. Think this will be a good cam to throw in my day pack? Any specs I should be wary of?

JasonsDrivingForce

Aug 24, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsd212] Canon D10? (Waterproof and rugged point-and-shoot) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just pictures or do you want to shoot some video as well?

Here is a great review of most of the current under water/rugged cameras. It looks like they liked the D10 a lot. You might want to also consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/...Q209waterproofgroup/

subantz

Aug 24, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Olympus SW770 waterproof up to 33 feet. and you can drop it to. I use it while kayaking. It also takes video. I can say it has been a rugged and durable camera over the past couple years. You can take pics/video underwater also. The images are real nice for a point and shoot.

JasonsDrivingForce

Aug 24, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Canon D10? (Waterproof and rugged point-and-shoot) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
I have the Olympus SW770 waterproof up to 33 feet. and you can drop it to. I use it while kayaking. It also takes video. I can say it has been a rugged and durable camera over the past couple years. You can take pics/video underwater also. The images are real nice for a point and shoot.

The newest version of the Olympus 770 seems to be the 6010. It was not reviewed in the link I posted above. However, the 6000 and 8000 were. They don’t look to be too terribly different though.
Olympus 6010
http://www.dpreview.com/...ystylustough6010.asp

swaghole

Aug 24, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rsd212 wrote:
Didnt want to hijack the other Canon compact thread, but does anyone have experience with the Canon D10? I'm just a point-and-shoot kind of guy and really just want decent pictures for my own use; not expecting to compete with the SLR-toting photographers out there. Think this will be a good cam to throw in my day pack? Any specs I should be wary of?

I just bought one a month ago. I wanted a point-and-shoot I could take when climbing, whitewater paddling or snorkeling and not have worry about water, dirt, cold, or damage from banging it around. So far, I love it. I clip it directly to my harness or directly on the canoe and forget about it till I need it. When you don't need to worry about the welfare of the camera, you'll take much more pictures. It's also pretty small and you don't really need a protective case to carry it when you stuff it in your pack.
I purchased a transparent film to protect the LCD screen and a spare battery (about $8 on ebay).

The reviews rated it #1, above the Stylus Tough 8000 overall and for picture quality. The only disadvantage was the rather narrow angle of the lens - you need to stand fairly far if you want to get a group photo.

pico23

Aug 24, 2009, 9:05 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few years ago I borrowed my Dad's Pentax W20 for a few months, mostly to use on a 10 day unsupported wilderness paddling trip, where I also took my DSLR but wante something I could leave in my pocket or on the deck of the boat/PFD.

Camera was great, and with a little knowhow I was able to get the shots I wanted most of the time (no manual control, but you can work around it).

Definitely was waterproof as it still is, we used it on a recent 6 day trip where it rained 5 of those days. The last day we were completely drenched while portaging and the camera was in my shorts.

I think it's only waterproof to 5 feet, basically it's rain proof and swim proof, not a diving camera, the newer models are rated to a deeper depth, and freeze proof.

Both Olympus and Pentax and I will assume Canon have a high incidence (well I don't really know how high, but I see reports of it, and people that complain are usually more vocal than those with praise so take that statement lightly) of out of box failure but generally if the camera doesn't suck water up on day 1 it should be good for years of use.

I'd recommend buying ANY of them at a reputable store where IF it fails on day 1 from water entry you can return it for exchange and not warranty which might be a headache.

granite_grrl

Aug 24, 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Canon D10? (Waterproof and rugged point-and-shoot) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
Just pictures or do you want to shoot some video as well?

Here is a great review of most of the current under water/rugged cameras. It looks like they liked the D10 a lot. You might want to also consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/...Q209waterproofgroup/
Another thing to note is that if you're using it for climbing photos a wider angle lens can be quite helpful. Many of the cameras in that review go down to a 28mm equivalent, while the D10 is at 35mm.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook