RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

climb4free

Aug 26, 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #1 of 6 (685 views)
Shortcut

Had a GREAT time in Jackson Falls.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

This past weekend was my first time climbing down in Jackson Falls. I'm from MN. What I appreciated about the area were the friendly people, the sheer quantity of routes/boulders, the quality of the rock, the variety of steepness, and the variety of hold types. There were several routes that had some of everything: slopers, edges, pockets, knobs, cracks, and jugs.

Plus, the weather was absolutely perfect. I heard and read that summers can be sort of nasty, but it turned out great. Can't wait to go back.

P.S. Red River Gorge is the next location on my list of prime places to go.

shrug7

Aug 26, 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #2 of 6 (681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Had a GREAT time in Jackson Falls. [In reply to]
Report this Post

Glad you enjoyed Soill. Cool

To bad Drapers is still closed to climbing. You could have hit up that place too.

climb4free

Aug 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #3 of 6 (679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] Had a GREAT time in Jackson Falls. [In reply to]
Report this Post

shrug7 wrote:
Glad you enjoyed Soill. Cool

To bad Drapers is still closed to climbing. You could have hit up that place too.

Ya, we were bummed to find that out. It looked sweet from the road though. We peeked around Cedar Bluff. WOW!!

shrug7

Aug 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #4 of 6 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Was/is my favorite place to climb in the midwest.

Ceder has some great climbs for as small as it is. Africa and Cave City are classics.

masterpugg

Aug 28, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #5 of 6 (650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

upcoming weather shall be fantastic, local second if you're headed in.

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 15, 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #6 of 6 (488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [masterpugg] Had a GREAT time in Jackson Falls. [In reply to]
Report this Post

amen to that
It is really kind of funny shortly after I started climbing. I think this conversation occurred in about 93. I had only climbed at Jackson. An I remember thinking what would it be like to go where the REAL climbing went on(proving my ignorance) but remember in those days you might very well climb all weekend and see a half dozen or so other climbers with the exception of holiday weekends. I saw a my friend Marta. she had someone with her that i did not know and have now forgotten his name. she introduced him and said he lived in the Alps. I said wow now that has to be some real climbing. He looked at me real funny. like he was trying to figure out if I was serious. I then told him that this was the only place that I had ever climbed. he asked me where I lived I told him about 6 hours north. He shook his head. then he said that I was a lot luckier than I knew. He then told me he had been saving up for many years to come to ....Jackson falls in IL(and drapers ect.) ! Because he had been told it was world class climbing. And that it definitely lived up to everything he had been told. Sure gave me a dif. perspective of our corn country state. and at the time there were large areas of climbs that had not been opened up. the promised land did not have any routes bolted that were "known" as negotiations were underway then to allow us to bolt them. there probably were only 3 or 4 5-7's. the ladder tree was alive and well. there were only about 5 campsites. no outhouse. posts were not needed to keep people from driving anything down to the bluff. The parking lot area was dirt. it was a dirt road in part of the paved road in was a bad gravel road. the camping on the other side of the road was considered"overflow sites"for busy holiday weekends. after a summer of climbing you pretty much knew everyone by name. if you pulled an airhead move and left a some gear by a route it would end up at your campsite by morning. I walked off once and left a rope we were not using. when we were on our way back to camp it was not at the route I left it at. got up to camp and it was hanging on a tree at our camp. My brother left a spare pair of shoes at group. by the time we rolled out the sunday AM to hit the crags again they were setting by the camp fire

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook