Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anchor Overkill
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrdeadpt

Aug 26, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Anchor Overkill  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Ralph_Stover_State_Park__aka_High_Rocks_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm all for convenient climbing, have no objection to sport routes and appreciate permanent anchors for TR'ing--but I'm wondering if anyone else out there in climbing-land thinks they are over-doing it a bit at Ralph Stover? I think it's great that some folks have installed two-bolt anchors over many of the popular routes and, hopefully, this will save some trees. But I think they've gone overboard with the long and heavy battleship anchor chains they've installed for easy TR'ing off those bolts. Over time, those heavy chains may well beat-up and cause deterioration of the edge of the cliff top--in a way that slings, being soft, would not.

shockabuku

Aug 26, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrdeadpt] Anchor Overkill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should probably change your name to mrdeadhorse.

joeforte

Aug 26, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrdeadpt wrote:
I'm all for convenient climbing, have no objection to sport routes and appreciate permanent anchors for TR'ing--but I'm wondering if anyone else out there in climbing-land thinks they are over-doing it a bit at Ralph Stover? I think it's great that some folks have installed two-bolt anchors over many of the popular routes and, hopefully, this will save some trees. But I think they've gone overboard with the long and heavy battleship anchor chains they've installed for easy TR'ing off those bolts. Over time, those heavy chains may well beat-up and cause deterioration of the edge of the cliff top--in a way that slings, being soft, would not.

I agree. I am not a fan of chains at all. I think the only reason to use them is if the anchor must extend over a sharp edge. Chains are an eyesore, especially against the red rock at stover.

coolcat83

Aug 26, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll go with the fact that chains are not attractive, but the anchor's are also installed with the cooperation and direction of the park managers, so if that's what they want to have climbing there then maybe it's best to just let it be. I'm not sure how much they are going to make the cliff top deteriorate, that remains to be seen.

mrdeadpt

Aug 27, 2009, 3:56 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Anchor Overkill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in agreement with coolcat83 on two things: If that's what the park management wants to allow climbing--so be it. (But, believe me, the powers that be don't all always make the best decisions regarding the resource they take care of.) And yes, it remains to be seen how those heavy chains will effect the rock edges. Depends on how things are handled. A few weeks ago, I came across one heavy chain wrapped several times around the tree it was there to relieve from anchor duty.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook