Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

tyler_A

Aug 28, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 81 (28649 views)
Shortcut

Chalk...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't really know where to get climbing-specific chalk so would it be fine just to like run to wal-mart and buy some sidewalk chalk and file it down into powder to use? Does anybody else do this?

notapplicable

Aug 28, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #2 of 81 (28644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tyler_A] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
I don't really know where to get climbing-specific chalk so would it be fine just to like run to wal-mart and buy some sidewalk chalk and file it down into powder to use? Does anybody else do this?

bennydh

Aug 28, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #3 of 81 (28624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca

Aug 28, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #4 of 81 (28612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

Go to the grocery store and buy a 5lb bag of flour, I prefer cake flour because it has less gluten. It works great and is dirt cheap.

byran

Aug 28, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 81 (28606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need a prescription from your doctor which he probably won't write you unless you have extremely sweaty hands. Possession of chalk without a prescription carries a pretty hefty fine and even jail time if you have a lot of it.

Btw, sidewalk chalk is calcium sulfate which is totally bunk, don't get ripped off. The good shit that climbers use is pure magnesium carbonate. Sometimes they'll cut it with other things like foot powder so it lasts longer, but if you want to send hard you need pure MgCO3.

gmggg

Aug 28, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #6 of 81 (28587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

I do this all the time. Don't file it though, just get a cheese grater. And make sure not to get white chalk. They put a lot of chemicals in it to bleach it white, Get the red, it is actually closest to the natural chalk color that god intended.

shimanilami

Aug 28, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #7 of 81 (28585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should go for it. You could use different colored chalk depending on the route you're climbing at the gym, thereby avoiding the unsightly appearance of white chalk clashing with colored holds.

tyler_A

Aug 28, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #8 of 81 (28573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can't tell which replies are sarcastic or not....

notapplicable

Aug 28, 2009, 8:40 PM
Post #9 of 81 (28571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

FAIL

Factor2

Aug 28, 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #10 of 81 (28561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

They're all serious

kriso9tails

Aug 28, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #11 of 81 (28550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I went to Walmart's site and got hits respectively for the terms harness, chalk, atc, nuts, cams, carabiner and rope, so I'd say it's probably as good a place as any to pick up climbing gear and accessories.

I should note that I got nothing for grigri, so probably not the best place for sport climbers.

I'm heading over to replace my Corax with this puppy harness:

zchandran

Aug 28, 2009, 9:01 PM
Post #12 of 81 (28540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:
Btw, sidewalk chalk is calcium sulfate which is totally bunk, don't get ripped off. The good shit that climbers use is pure magnesium carbonate. Sometimes they'll cut it with other things like foot powder so it lasts longer, but if you want to send hard you need pure MgCO3.

You're stinking rich if you can afford pure magnesium carbonate. Wish I could. Around here it's cheaper for me to buy packets of meth from my dealer and use that instead.

tyler_A

Aug 28, 2009, 9:30 PM
Post #13 of 81 (28521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
Well, I went to Walmart's site and got hits respectively for the terms harness, chalk, atc, nuts, cams, carabiner and rope, so I'd say it's probably as good a place as any to pick up climbing gear and accessories.

I should note that I got nothing for grigri, so probably not the best place for sport climbers.

[img]http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/15/34/53/0007153453851_500X500.jpg[/img]

Let's cut the stupid ass internet sarcasm please. Your point is that it's stupid to go to a place like wal-mart for any climbing gear. I'm looking for chalk, so my hands don't get greasy and sweaty. Not a harness to keep me from falling to my death. I assume you are mentally capable of assessing the significance of chalk in contrast to gear that you trust your life with. So with that assumption, I have a question for you. Why did you post this useless garbage?

lrossi

Aug 28, 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #14 of 81 (28515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
Why did you post this useless garbage?

That's what we're all wondering about your original post.

adam14113

Aug 28, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #15 of 81 (28494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lrossi] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer the straight up MgCO3. Some of my buddies buy it cut with smelly powders ... it's good for a bit of a zen moment but there is nothing that works better then the pure stuff straight from the block.

pfwein

Post #16 of 81 (28494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
Too bad some jerks are giving you a hard time. You are thinking along the right lines, but sidewalk chalk is too expensive. What you might want to use is lime (used on soil, not the lemon-like citrus fruit). Just get a 10 lb bag at a hardware store and it should last a few years.
E.g.,
http://www.bestnest.com/...oogle&kw=BOP-979
It's mostly calcium carbonate, and should work just fine. And if you get sick of climbing, you can put in on your plants.
Good luck.

shockabuku

Post #17 of 81 (28493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

[img]http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/15/34/53/0007153453851_500X500.jpg[/img]

Let's cut the stupid ass internet sarcasm please. Your point is that it's stupid to go to a place like wal-mart for any climbing gear. I'm looking for chalk, so my hands don't get greasy and sweaty. Not a harness to keep me from falling to my death. I assume you are mentally capable of assessing the significance of chalk in contrast to gear that you trust your life with. So with that assumption, I have a question for you. Why did you post this useless garbage?

That may not be warranted.

shockabuku

Aug 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #18 of 81 (28485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
tyler_A wrote:
Too bad some jerks are giving you a hard time. You are thinking along the right lines, but sidewalk chalk is too expensive. What you might want to use is lime (used on soil, not the lemon-like citrus fruit). Just get a 10 lb bag at a hardware store and it should last a few years.
E.g.,
It's mostly calcium carbonate, and should work just fine. And if you get sick of climbing, you can put in on your plants.
Good luck.

Might want this: http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1450.html to go with that^^^.

Personally I'd look online at an climbing supplier, like, say, one of the ones on the home page at rockclimbing.com.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Aug 28, 2009, 10:01 PM)

kriso9tails

Aug 28, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #19 of 81 (28473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

It entertains me.

My point is, if you bought climbing gear then you can get chalk in the same place. If you can't then reevaluate where you buy climbing gear.

As for cutting the ' stupid ass internet sarcasm', I'm going to have to go with, 'no'.

bill413

Aug 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #20 of 81 (28470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
I'm looking for chalk, so my hands don't get greasy and sweaty. Not a harness to keep me from falling to my death. I assume you are mentally capable of assessing the significance of chalk in contrast to gear that you trust your life with.

I know climbers who are more concerned with their chalk than their harness. Some famous climbers will forgo the harness, as long as they have chalk. So....which do you think is more significant?

dorienc

Aug 28, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #21 of 81 (28459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
OK, no internet sarcasm here.
Never tried it, but I don't think it'd work. Like some earlier posters said, you want magnesium carbonate. Just order it mail order from REI, gearexpress, or any other supplier. You might be able to find gym chalk at your local sporting goods place. I use blocks of gym chalk-i break off a pretty good chunk and drop it in my chalk bag. Gives me more chalk than a chalk ball, but less messy than loose chalk. And I got a lifetime supply when the YMCA quit supplying it in the weight room!

EDIT: Just wiki'ed sidewalk chalk. It's made of calcium sulfate, which wiki tells me is a drying agent. Hmm, why not try it? That's how great discoveries are made. Let us know what you think about it. But of course, stand by for the mandatory rc.com blast'o'shit. I guess everyone here but you or me flashes .14d so they must ridicule anything that doesn't meet their high climbing standards.

(This post was edited by dorienc on Aug 28, 2009, 10:36 PM)

wjca

Aug 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #22 of 81 (28456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

Don't assume too much.

pfwein

Aug 28, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #23 of 81 (28450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
pfwein wrote:
tyler_A wrote:
E.g.,
Good luck.

Might want this: http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1450.html to go with that^^^.

Personally I'd look online at an climbing supplier, like, say, one of the ones on the home page at rockclimbing.com.
OK Mr. Smarty-pants, perhaps lime wasn't the best idea after all.
But how about baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/...x-p-6151.html?ref=42
Cheap, bio-compatible--should be fine.
You can also eat some (dissolve in water first) and it should work as an antiacid, which prevent lactic acid build up in your forearms.

So get a box, put some in your chalk bag, drink some, and crank hard!

Edit: Here's another product that should work fine that you get at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/...e-_-D24X-_-100391308

No reason to buy that fancy-shmancy climbing store stuff!

(This post was edited by pfwein on Aug 28, 2009, 10:54 PM)

Peasley1

Aug 28, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #24 of 81 (28434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

Crayola definately makes the best climbing chalk, I find that pink works the best

(This post was edited by Peasley1 on Aug 28, 2009, 11:06 PM)

kriso9tails

Aug 28, 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #25 of 81 (28425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Chalk... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
tyler_A wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

Don't assume too much.

I know me pretty well and I'm inclined to agree with you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook