Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jmvc

Jul 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #26 of 59 (8494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PS: They show it on a munter hitch but you can do it just fine ona tube style device.

rockandlice

Jul 8, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #27 of 59 (8460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
PS: They show it on a munter hitch but you can do it just fine ona tube style device.

I think I would specify quite a bit further. Using the diagram you provided would parallel the brake and climber leads putting zero friction on a tube device. This is a recipe for disaster.

Perhaps there should be a directional keeping the brake end in a locked direction that we are missing here?

qtm

Jul 8, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #28 of 59 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For a tube device- keep it locked off with one hand. With the other, make a bight below the brake hand. Pull the bight through the locker and up and tie it as shown.

Pulling the bight through the locker keeps the rope in a locked off position through the tube device.

MS1

Jul 8, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #29 of 59 (8444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another way to tie-off a tube style belay: Clip the rope in to a biner on your leg loop. (If you are like me, you have a small locker there most of the time with a bit of cord on it for backing up rappels.) Once the rope is run through a locked biner below, you can tie it off above the belay device with a normal mule hitch, without compromising the tube device's friction. I find that this is faster and less finicky than holding tension while I feed a bight through the belay biner.

EDITED TO ADD: Always back up a mule with a backup hitch above the mule. This is especially necessary if you use this variation because the mule is slightly more unstable when tied this way. What I describe above is slightly faster to tie and it is easier to maintain tension on the brake strand while doing it, but it does have that downside. Use at your own risk.

(This post was edited by MS1 on Sep 3, 2009, 1:43 AM)

shimanilami

Jul 8, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #30 of 59 (8439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, bother.

Just get yourself a Gri Gri and avoid all this hassle.

IsayAutumn

Jul 8, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #31 of 59 (8426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Oh, bother.

Hey, I got a badge for this in Scouts!

spoon

Jul 8, 2009, 6:44 PM
Post #32 of 59 (8425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
go talk to the local climber and see what they have...in my area, 60 M rope and 8 draws are for really short climbs. we have a lot of climbs that are bolted on a 70 M

Although there are climbs at 32/38 and Smith that require 70m ropes, they are the exception rather than the rule. Moreover, they are almost universally 5.12 and harder. A 60m rope is the right choice.

It wouldn't hurt to get a few more draws though. There are plenty of good moderate routes at 32 that are 10 bolts long, and at least one that is 13 bolts long.

For what it's worth, I climb at these areas often and the only gear I ever bring is a 60m rope, a dozen or so quick draws, and a belay device with a locking carabiner. A sling will make cleaning some anchors a little easier, but you can definitely do without.

shimanilami

Jul 8, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #33 of 59 (8419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
Oh, bother.

Hey, I got a badge for this in Scouts!

Don't get me wrong. A munter-mule (or ATC-mule) is an extremely useful tool for rescue, hauling, and other load intensive situations. But for sport climbing?!? Hell no. And for a noob? I'd rather take my chances with a Gri Gri, thank you.

jmvc

Jul 9, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #34 of 59 (8354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice wrote:
jmvc wrote:

I think I would specify quite a bit further. Using the diagram you provided would parallel the brake and climber leads putting zero friction on a tube device. This is a recipe for disaster.

Perhaps there should be a directional keeping the brake end in a locked direction that we are missing here?

My mistake. It is as gtm describes. I just searched for the mule and didn't look to closely at the picture. A good example on why not to trust random info on the internet!

Hoping nobody has decked as a result of my advice Wink

jmvc

Jul 9, 2009, 5:02 PM
Post #35 of 59 (8351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
But for sport climbing?!? Hell no.

Why on earth not?

Like I say, i generally use a grigri, just for ease of boiking and suchlike, but when belaying somebody with an ATC who is projecting and tells me they need a rest, I always throw one in. Why sit there hanging on to the rope when it takes 5 seconds and is perfectly safe?

shimanilami

Jul 9, 2009, 5:49 PM
Post #36 of 59 (8344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
But for sport climbing?!? Hell no.

Why on earth not?

Like I say, i generally use a grigri, just for ease of boiking and suchlike, but when belaying somebody with an ATC who is projecting and tells me they need a rest, I always throw one in. Why sit there hanging on to the rope when it takes 5 seconds and is perfectly safe?

You are not wrong, but in my world, "sport climbing" = Gri Gri. If I showed up at a sport crag and only had my ATC, I'd ask around to borrow a Gri Gri until I found one.

And if I couldn't find one, I'd tell my partner he's a jackass for not bringing his or reminding me to bring mine. And, consequently, for that day, I'd only give him one fall per burn before lowering him to the dirt.

So, at least for me, "Hell no" applies.

jbf101

Sep 2, 2009, 3:03 AM
Post #37 of 59 (8086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am looking to put together a sport "rack"

The draws i was looking at are the BD-Livewire (10 CM) and BD-Quickwire (12/18 cm).

I was thinking of getting 5 10cm, 3 12cm, and 2 18cm... Should cover all my bases as far as Draws and lengths are concerned, both had good reviews and money is no object (Go go gadget deployment money) However some advice from people who know what they are talking about is always welcome.

A Petzl Grigri is also on the list of things to buy when i return home...

seatbeltpants

Sep 2, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #38 of 59 (8073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbf101] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbf101 wrote:

The draws i was looking at are the BD-Livewire (10 CM) and BD-Quickwire (12/18 cm).

I was thinking of getting 5 10cm, 3 12cm, and 2 18cm... Should cover all my bases as far as Draws and lengths are concerned, both had good reviews and money is no object (Go go gadget deployment money) However some advice from people who know what they are talking about is always welcome.

i can't comment on the biners as i just use whatever the hell i picked up at the time, but as far as lengths go i'd personally go for 5 of the 18s and 5 of the 12s. 10 seems damn short to me, and i'm not sure there's any reason to get both 10 and 12 (pretty similar). ymmv.

steve

jbf101

Sep 2, 2009, 5:02 AM
Post #39 of 59 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A very valid point, and thank you.

USnavy

Sep 2, 2009, 8:28 AM
Post #40 of 59 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jbf101 wrote:

If you plan to lead a lot I would get some Petzl Spirits. They are among the best. I could have whatever draw I want and I choose Spirits to climb here in Hawaii. The longest route in Hawaii is 12 bolts. I would recommend 8 of the shortest lengths, 2 moderate length draws and 2 longer draws. You could get by with more longer draws instead of shorter ones if you want to cut down on drag a bit but make sure you have at least 4 shorter draws for the first few bolts. You don’t want to be taking long falls close to the ground. If you don’t want to spend quite that much money, the Trango Basic draws are rather nice as well. They clip very easily and they are inexpensive. The only drawback is the measly 7 kN open gate rating on the older style and 8 kN on the newer style.

jbf101

Sep 2, 2009, 9:49 AM
Post #41 of 59 (8043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks

I was looking at the Team Climb Aloha site to actually look at routes and whatnot.

I figure i need to actually go into a rock climbing shop and actually play around with some draws/biners before making any final decisions.

MS1

Sep 2, 2009, 3:13 PM
Post #42 of 59 (8022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with livewires and then some of the longer spirits (or maybe just the long spirit dogbones with the livewire biner set). The floppy, skinny sling and the non-keylock bolt biner on the quickwire will be annoying, I guarantee it.

dagibbs

Sep 2, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #43 of 59 (8020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:
The 240cm (orange) Mammut 8mm slings are excellent for this purpose, though be aware that after falling on it a few times, the overhand knots will be very difficult or impossible to untie,.

Put a biner through the overhand knot. Gives you a great handle for untieing them.

Partner cracklover

Sep 2, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #44 of 59 (8012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Another way to tie-off a tube style belay: Clip the rope in to a biner on your leg loop. (If you are like me, you have a small locker there most of the time with a bit of cord on it for backing up rappels.) Once the rope is run through a locked biner below, you can tie it off above the biner with a normal mule hitch, without compromising the tube device's friction. I find that this is faster and less finicky than holding tension while I feed a bight through the belay biner.

Doesn't anyone else see the problem here? This is why this site is so useless for advice. There's good advice and terrible advice in equal parts, and unless JT is bored enough to fire up the flame canon, the terrible advice seems to get an equal footing.

GO

brotherbbock

Sep 2, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #45 of 59 (8006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Putting together a sport "rack" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Sport Rack".............hah.

MS1

Sep 2, 2009, 4:36 PM
Post #46 of 59 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What exactly has you so concerned? I've done this many times without a problem. (Note: I mistyped when I said tie it off above the "biner" --- I meant to type "tie it off above the belay device," which is what I do.)

Partner cracklover

Sep 2, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #47 of 59 (7986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
What exactly has you so concerned? I've done this many times without a problem. (Note: I mistyped when I said tie it off above the "biner" --- I meant to type "tie it off above the belay device," which is what I do.)

You're adding complication to a simple method. And what do you mean when you say tie it off above the belay device with a regular mule? How and why would you tie a mule knot around a device, when the rope is redirected from another biner on a leg loop?

GO

MS1

Sep 2, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #48 of 59 (7984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not really an added complication; the rope is passing through a locking biner in either case, my method just uses a different one (which I already have on my harness most of the time). And because you have extra rope length to work with, it is much easier to feed the bight through the other biner while keeping tension on the brake side.

Nor is there anything complicated about tying a mule knot above the belay device with the rope running from your leg loop rather than from the belay biner. It's the same knot, in the same place, just with a longer run of rope to the redirect biner in my case.

Seems like maybe you are taking the position that something is bad just because it is novel, rather than thinking through "Would this actually work?"

Partner cracklover

Sep 2, 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #49 of 59 (7976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Seems like maybe you are taking the position that something is bad just because it is novel, rather than thinking through "Would this actually work?"

No, I'm not. I've thought about it quite enough to realize that 1 - what you describe is a clusterfuck when a simple mule will and does work, and 2 - you're probably tying something screwy in place of your mule knot.

Mule knots need a biner to go through, and work in opposition to the force. You have no biner "above your belay device", nor is tying a mule there in opposition to the force, since the force, in your scenario, is now coming from your leg loop.

I still have no idea what you're doing in place of a regular mule knot. Who knows, maybe it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you think so, I'll let you prove that.

GO

MS1

Sep 2, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #50 of 59 (7954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is tied exactly like a mule knot, with the biner being farther below the knot. The oppositional force comes from the leg-loop-biner, and it is more than adequate to keep the knot in place.

As for "proving" to you that it works---whatever. I have used it many times and it has never slipped or caused any sort of problem. If you don't care to try it that is fine by me.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook