Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Sep 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #1 of 45 (18702 views)
Shortcut

Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend)  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cross post from NEclimbs for increased visibility:

I guess $25 dollar fines are fine with people because sunday was a clusterfuck of stupid ass people parked all up and down the road at Rumney. INCLUDING the BOSTON ROCK GYM's BUS with their name emblazoned on the side to advertise their in ability to follow directions. "Disobey and Defy" nice.. idiots
AND DON'T park in the Camera's (red house) DRIVEWAY without ASKING! you fucking assholes. It's their HOME it's not a parking lot.

Also to the Douchebags that we tried to kindly explain to walk FACING TRAFFIC on the LEFT side of the road. Don't try to justify your ignorance by saying that the memorial for the high school kids who DROVE IN THE RIVER is a reason to walk on the WRONG side of the road. IT IS ILLEGAL as in AGAINST THE LAW to walk away from traffic. So don't tell US that you will do whatever you want. ASSHOLES.

http://74.125.95.132/...amp;client=firefox-a
In reply to:
Pedestrians must:
• Use crosswalks at intersections.
• Look in both directions before crossing any street.
When walking along a road where there is no sidewalk. Walk on the
left side facing oncoming traffic. Walk on the shoulder of the road,
if possible

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Sep 7, 2009, 10:22 PM)

Hennessey

Sep 7, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #2 of 45 (18649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Parking on the side of the road in exchange for a fine is one thing, but parking on someones private property which they own and pay taxes and such on is just a D1ck move.

jakedatc

Sep 7, 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #3 of 45 (18644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
Parking on the side of the road in exchange for a fine is one thing, but parking on someones private property which they own and pay taxes and such on is just a D1ck move.

Yea, it is also where a small family campground is and i've been staying there going on 5 years now so they know me pretty well and he told me that he caught them parking and was really pissed off and yelled at them to go away.

the problem with parking on the road is that it's been complained about by the town locals for a very long time, signs are posted, people still ignore it. Many of the regulars want them to start towing. If people want it to come to that it probably will. nothing like getting done with a day of climbing and having no car... on a weekend.. in a town who isn't that thrilled with climbers.. even more so with ones who don't obey the rules.

kobaz

Sep 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #4 of 45 (18638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another reason to not go to major areas on labor day weekend... the crowds are ridiculous.

Although I did make that mistake and go to the NRG for laborday weekend. Every single route up to 5.10 had a 5+ parties waiting to get on. Only after 3-4pm were things finally clearing out.

Remind me to just go kayaking or hiking on holidays. Heh.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #5 of 45 (18631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh we were fine climbing. I've been going there for 6 years now.. i've seen crowds of all size and have a pretty good handle on the magnetic pulls towards certain places. We never really waited anywhere we didn't choose to and got 3 solid days in. We camp across the street and are allowed to keep our cars near our tents so we don't have the parking issue.. just get pissed at the people not following the rules (and law)

an area we haven't been to.. correct... not the time to go.

Partner epoch

Sep 8, 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #6 of 45 (18630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Jake, you failed to mention that when the climber's parking lot is full, people are asked to park at the library and hoof it / carpool to the main climbing area.

Wonder how full the library was...

kobaz

Sep 8, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #7 of 45 (18628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been to rumney, So I'm not familiar with the parking there. There's a standard parking lot, which wasn't full, and people were illegally parking on the road? That's nuts.

If perhaps the parking lot does get full, what's the next place to park?

Partner epoch

Sep 8, 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #8 of 45 (18623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure my toes are going to get stepped on....

There is a main lot, which I assume was full; (1) because it was a holiday weekend; and (2) the cars were on the road.

Parking at the Library adds a bit of a hike.

However, by a bit it really isn't all that much, though compared to the park-and-climb convenience of Rumney it is a fair ways.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #9 of 45 (18619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Jake, you failed to mention that when the climber's parking lot is full, people are asked to park at the library and hoof it / carpool to the main climbing area.

Wonder how full the library was...

Both regular lots were full.. very full.

sorry.. yes. I have no idea about the library. i highly doubt many even bothered to look.

Kobaz. There is one main lot, one small lot, then people are asked to go to the library which is down the road 1/2-1mi?

Either way it's clearly marked NOT to park on the road.. signs all over.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Sep 8, 2009, 12:18 AM)

losbill

Sep 8, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #10 of 45 (18562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like it was really busy. Been a number of years, in fact before the parking lot was expanded, the library parking option has been necessary. Perhaps better signage is necessary. We would swing into the parking lot drop all the gear and everyone but the driver and park at the library. You really didn't have to walk back since 9 times out of 10 you would get picked up by somebody with 30 seconds of starting down the road.

Parking on the road and trespassing on the Camera's property are really lame and self-centered actions.

But what is truly incredible is the behavior of the BRG people. Just confirms my opinion based upon a truly unpleasant and strange experience with the owner and his kids' team coach this winter that the people at the BRG simply do not have a clue.

Bill

bigevilgrape

Sep 8, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #11 of 45 (18547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think more signs will help. People still won't read them, and will still park were they should not. I think the only thing that will snap those people into shape is to start towing.

I wonder if they could start writting tickets to people for walking on the wrong side of the road.....

dan2see

Sep 8, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #12 of 45 (18505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigevilgrape] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What would it take to get the climber's parking lot expanded?

Also, if you want to carpool with somebody, is there a weill-known and safe parking spot for your car to leave somewhere else?

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #13 of 45 (18437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
What would it take to get the climber's parking lot expanded?

Also, if you want to carpool with somebody, is there a weill-known and safe parking spot for your car to leave somewhere else?

There is no where to expand the parking lot. it is butted up against private property. They are supposedly going to pave the parking lot this year which may organize things a little bit so the parking is more efficient at least.

carpooling would be great for people to do more of. many do but it still adds up. There is a walmart about 5-10 miles away if people planned ahead, there is also the mentioned library 1mi or so away

dan2see

Sep 8, 2009, 1:54 PM
Post #14 of 45 (18383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
dan2see wrote:
What would it take to get the climber's parking lot expanded? ...

There is no where to expand the parking lot. it is butted up against private property. ...

Here in the Rocky Mountains, all the land is government-owned -- park, recreation, or crown land. If they build a parking lot it's really good, and might even include an outhouse that they maintain. Even without that, the edge of the paved road is usually good enough to park everybody.

Kinda like having an unlimited supply of roads and parking lots.

Most Calgary climbers carpool by meeting somewhere in the city. This works well for some, but not for me. So I often drive myself.

Well this topic is in "Regional Discussions" and the different regions really do have different problems and solutions.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #15 of 45 (18375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
dan2see wrote:
What would it take to get the climber's parking lot expanded? ...

There is no where to expand the parking lot. it is butted up against private property. ...

Here in the Rocky Mountains, all the land is government-owned -- park, recreation, or crown land. If they build a parking lot it's really good, and might even include an outhouse that they maintain. Even without that, the edge of the paved road is usually good enough to park everybody.

Kinda like having an unlimited supply of roads and parking lots.

Most Calgary climbers carpool by meeting somewhere in the city. This works well for some, but not for me. So I often drive myself.

Well this topic is in "Regional Discussions" and the different regions really do have different problems and solutions.

The road it is on is already extremely narrow and does not need cars parked along it to create even more issues.

This is New Hampshire.. the climbing area and parking lot is State park owned. the land around it is owned by private individuals.. almost all of whom do not like climbers.

There is a solution.. people are just too fucking lazy to do it.

dan2see

Sep 8, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #16 of 45 (18351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
There is a solution.. people are just too fucking lazy to do it.

Now you're talking about people getting organized and doing things together.

In my city, we've got a few formal clubs and a lot of informal get-together groups -- factions, and factions within factions. Each has their own rules and customs. We get along, as long as there's enough room for everybody.

It's not that they're lazy -- it's just that they don't care what your particular rules are. Don't forget, every one of those climbers is better than you, because he's smarter than you, and his gear is prettier than yours. Plus his car is cooler than yours.

Jake, you have my sympathy. If I lived where you do, I'd probably give up climbing. Maybe I would get a job as a parking patrol, so instead of logging routes, I'd log number of tickets.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 2:59 PM
Post #17 of 45 (18332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They aren't my rules.. they are state and town laws...

Rumney is a regional and national destination. It is the best and biggest sport climbing area north of the New and Red river gorges. we have a TON of canadians, new yorkers, PA, VT, ME, NJ etc that all come in from everywhere. The problem is it is located in a TINY town. The only part that is under the forest service control is the climbing area and parking lot.. which ends at the road.

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #18 of 45 (18279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Just confirms my opinion based upon a truly unpleasant and strange experience with the owner and his kids' team coach this winter that the people at the BRG simply do not have a clue.

This makes me super curious! What happened?

And this thread makes me want to stay as far away from Rumney as possible! As soon as the local towing company takes note of the small fortune that can be made on any given weekend, the problem will be solved!

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #19 of 45 (18258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
losbill wrote:
Just confirms my opinion based upon a truly unpleasant and strange experience with the owner and his kids' team coach this winter that the people at the BRG simply do not have a clue.

This makes me super curious! What happened?

And this thread makes me want to stay as far away from Rumney as possible! As soon as the local towing company takes note of the small fortune that can be made on any given weekend, the problem will be solved!

You should just admit that you don't like to climb at rumney. These problems are not new. The Gunks have a similar clusterfuck, are further away, are more expensive.

I've been climbing there since 2002 and have never needed to park on the road or wait in any lines if i didn't choose to do so. Waiting in line for routes is for people too stubborn to go climb something else instead of being fixated on one route or wall. If i did that i wouldn't get on fun routes that are EMPTY even on overflowing parking lot days. (and don't even require a ton of hiking)

but yea.. i wonder how many cars it would take to make up for the cost of a tow truck ;)

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #20 of 45 (18240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I confess - I am a trad gal. I'd prefer climbing at Rumney on a weekday. I've never seen parking issues like that at the Gunks / Cathedral / Acadia. But then again, I haven't ever seen this issue at Rumney, so I guess I haven't been there in awhile! Tow 'em all! Tongue

Josh and I practically had the Precipice / Great Head all to ourselves this weekend. Acadia is my favorite Northeast place to climb. There are never any crowds (unless you go to Otter Cliffs) and every climb is stellar. It reminds me of a mini-Squamish.

We'll prob be in Rumney in 2 weeks. We won't be parking on the road.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #21 of 45 (18232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there oct 2-4 ish for 'Biner's birthday bash.. don't walk on the wrong side of the road.. i might start throwing rocks :)

bigevilgrape

Sep 8, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #22 of 45 (18211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And those people who you don't think are lazy are the ones who will be screwing up access for everyone else. Its in our best interest to try and keep the locals happy.

time2clmb

Sep 8, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #23 of 45 (18197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
we tried to kindly explain to walk FACING TRAFFIC on the LEFT side of the road.

LMAO...you seriously told people what side of the road to walk on? That's hilarious.

ken21il

Sep 8, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #24 of 45 (18189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe this should be fowarded to AF, that way the word gets out to an even larger group and perhaps brought up at functions and or events at other climbing destinations.

(This post was edited by ken21il on Sep 8, 2009, 5:28 PM)

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #25 of 45 (18174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

time2clmb wrote:
In reply to:
we tried to kindly explain to walk FACING TRAFFIC on the LEFT side of the road.

LMAO...you seriously told people what side of the road to walk on? That's hilarious.

When it is an access issue with the local residents it's in our best interest to have people do what they are fucking supposed to do. Hopefully they will be run over from behind by a large 4x4 truck that they didn't see coming.

Would you tell someone not to shit in the middle of a trail? or just walk by... what if someone was breaking into peoples cars? just let them go for it?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook