Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #26 of 45 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Would you tell someone not to shit in the middle of a trail? or just walk by... what if someone was breaking into peoples cars? just let them go for it?

Well... If I saw someone pinching a loaf mid-trail, I think I'd run in the opposite direction! Shocked But I did nearly get me and Josh beat up by telling someone to pick up after his dog that pooped on the carriage road in the Gunks.

So, I guess it depends on how big the person is and if I can outrun them!

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #27 of 45 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do love the negative input from the folks in western fucking canada.. cuz they know about the traffic issues of a tiny country road in central New Hampshire :P

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Sep 8, 2009, 10:51 AM)

carabiner96

Sep 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #28 of 45 (1556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

time2clmb wrote:
In reply to:
we tried to kindly explain to walk FACING TRAFFIC on the LEFT side of the road.

LMAO...you seriously told people what side of the road to walk on? That's hilarious.

Um, yes. Believe it or not, there is a correct side if the road to walk on, and the locals know it too...and they get pissed if you're on the wrong side, and not afraid to let you know it.

dr_feelgood

Sep 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #29 of 45 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

time2clmb wrote:
In reply to:
we tried to kindly explain to walk FACING TRAFFIC on the LEFT side of the road.

LMAO...you seriously told people what side of the road to walk on? That's hilarious.

We actually asked them to come over to our side.
I then told them to go fuck themselves.

Partner cracklover

Sep 8, 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #30 of 45 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ken21il] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ken21il wrote:
maybe this should be fowarded to AF, that way the word gets out to an even larger group and perhaps brought up at functions and or events at other climbing destinations.

In a perfect world, yeah. But IME, the AF always takes the climbers' side, even when, as in this case, so many climbers are in the wrong.

So if you told the AF about it, they'd probably try to hush-hush the problem, rather than publicize it as would be appropriate.

Jake - the trouble is that some people simply don't give a shit about anything much but their own convenience.

To my mind, the solution is:

1 - signs informing overflow traffic about the Library parking lot.
2 - have the cop who patrols the lot (he's a nice guy) inform people about the library lot.
3 - tow people who park on the road.

GO

LostinMaine

Sep 8, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #31 of 45 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

Josh and I practically had the Precipice / Great Head all to ourselves this weekend. Acadia is my favorite Northeast place to climb. There are never any crowds (unless you go to Otter Cliffs) and every climb is stellar. It reminds me of a mini-Squamish.

We'll prob be in Rumney in 2 weeks. We won't be parking on the road.

I'm so depressed that I moved away from Maine. I miss Precipice so much. Hell, I'd even take a couple pitches up Bubble at this point to be back on the Maine coast for climbing season. I still hate everything in Clifton, but Acadia...

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #32 of 45 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Josh and I practically had the Precipice / Great Head all to ourselves this weekend. Acadia is my favorite Northeast place to climb. There are never any crowds (unless you go to Otter Cliffs) and every climb is stellar. It reminds me of a mini-Squamish.

I'm so depressed that I moved away from Maine. I miss Precipice so much. Hell, I'd even take a couple pitches up Bubble at this point to be back on the Maine coast for climbing season. I still hate everything in Clifton, but Acadia...

If it weren't so damn cold there in the winter, we'd probably live there! Never been to Clifton though!

carabiner96

Sep 8, 2009, 2:06 PM
Post #33 of 45 (1477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

If it weren't so damn cold there in the winter, we'd probably live there! Never been to Clifton though!

clifton is pretty awesome, thought getting lost is a real possibility.

dudemanbu

Sep 8, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #34 of 45 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with jake here, people really need to be on the proper side of the road when walking, and they need to follow all of the rules to the area. Coming from connecticut and knowing how easily access can be taken away, I just think it's better not to tempt fate or the wrath of the locals.

One thing I have noticed though is that the locals really aren't following the speed limit on that road. About 30% of fatal accidents are traditionally related to excess speed as their primary cause, including the one on that road a while back. I think a police presence to ticket/tow illegally parked cars, as well as ticket/arrest speeders would be helpful.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #35 of 45 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
I agree with jake here, people really need to be on the proper side of the road when walking, and they need to follow all of the rules to the area. Coming from connecticut and knowing how easily access can be taken away, I just think it's better not to tempt fate or the wrath of the locals.

One thing I have noticed though is that the locals really aren't following the speed limit on that road. About 30% of fatal accidents are traditionally related to excess speed as their primary cause, including the one on that road a while back. I think a police presence to ticket/tow illegally parked cars, as well as ticket/arrest speeders would be helpful.

apparently for a while this spring they had a speed trap set up but i haven't seen any cops up there when i've been there. They do haul ass and that's why you need to be facing the correct way so you can get your ass out of the way quickly when the cars are coming so fast. In cycling we have this rule that no matter what the law says the 2000lb car will always win in a crash.

losbill

Sep 8, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #36 of 45 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First, Jake calm down. I am afraid you are going to burst a vein. Also watch the language you know how much I dislike profanity! Also what is with snapping at Tiff of all people! Did she beat you at one of the POP's pool tournaments or something??? I do share your anger. Rumney is a very cool place and to have a few jackassess jeopardizing the experience for everyone is really infuriating.

Second, Tiff. Regarding BRG, not really worth getting into. Next time we are sharing a beer together I will fill you in. I think you know me well enough that when I say the people from BRG are clueless I have good reason to do so.--- Bill

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 6:24 PM
Post #37 of 45 (1418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you try to explain to people a simple state law that has pissed off locals since climbers have been climbing there and they tell your girlfriend to fuck off... then you can calm down. Our whole group was pissed off.

If i can get words in an email that sound good i'm going to be emailing the rumney police to amp up patrols for speeding and for towing cars illegally parked. The locals are asshats for speeding so fast down such a small road and a few climbers are making us all look like crap by parking on the road. it needs to be stopped.

I climb at Rumney FAR more than most folks on this board and stupidity that is SO SIMPLE to fix it pisses me off.. alot.

I feel that i can debate with Tiff pretty strongly... if that's not true then she should tell me so. she rags on rumney pretty hard for someone that does not go there very often and does not venture off the beaten path too far there.

The owner of BRG apologized on NEclimbs.. so for that i'm happy.

losbill

Sep 8, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #38 of 45 (1417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this mean we aren't friends anymore?

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #39 of 45 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never said that. But you weren't there to have to deal with issue after issue all weekend. I'm trying to help do my part so the climbers don't all look like idiots. Many of the locals on NEclimbs agree that folks should get towed and more police presence should control the speeding and folks walking on the wrong side.

i'm allowed to be pissed off.. and no one that climbs there should be very happy about what happened this weekend.. it's embarrassing. I never thought climbers would park at the Camara's without asking.. that's horrible. Those guys kick ass and are one of the few locals that SUPPORT us.

wonderwoman

Sep 8, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #40 of 45 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I feel that i can debate with Tiff pretty strongly... if that's not true then she should tell me so. she rags on rumney pretty hard for someone that does not go there very often and does not venture off the beaten path too far there.

If by 'rag on pretty hard', you mean, that I openly say that it's not my favorite place and it's crowded - then I am guilty. I'm not crazy about sport climbing. I prefer trad. I think, in general, there are less trad climbers than sport climbers. I think that if you ventured into my neck of the woods once in awhile, you might see this, too.

If you don't like the places that I climb, I don't take offense to it. But I don't really recall ever 'ragging' on Rumney. I still need to redpoint Flyin Hawaiin, but that's the only appeal to me.

milesenoell

Sep 8, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #41 of 45 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain Jake, and what I have been forced to recognize is that climbers, taken as a group, include so many truly adolescent minds that hoping to improve our image is basically a lost cause. The silver lining here is what i think of as the 10% principal. It tends to really only be about 10% of folks that trash things, but it only takes about 10% to mitigate the damage. 10% leave their trash, ignore the local standards of conduct, react badly to being corrected, etc., but if we can get just 10% of the folks to pick it up, spread the word about what needs to happen, and act as ambassadors of our group, we can make it sustainable. There will always be dip-shits still figuring it out, but we can accept those losses. All we need is 10% to counter the damage inflicted by the other 10%.

time2clmb

Sep 8, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #42 of 45 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I do love the negative input from the folks in western fucking canada.. cuz they know about the traffic issues of a tiny country road in central New Hampshire :P

Yeah it totally sucks living here where you can walk on either side of the road without a bunch of pent up people having to worry about access issues because of it Crazy

In reply to:
Would you tell someone not to shit in the middle of a trail? or just walk by... what if someone was breaking into peoples cars?

Uh yeah...walking on the "wrong side of the road" is totally the same as shitting on the trail and breaking into cars CrazyCrazy

Sucks that it's that sensitive down there but shit if it's going to affect access then you gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

I still think it funny and if you can't handle it then too fucking bad. How is thinking it's funny a negative comment? No need to get butthurt.

jakedatc

Sep 8, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #43 of 45 (1374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Don't park on the ROAD! (and other various rants of this weekend) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
I feel your pain Jake, and what I have been forced to recognize is that climbers, taken as a group, include so many truly adolescent minds that hoping to improve our image is basically a lost cause. The silver lining here is what i think of as the 10% principal. It tends to really only be about 10% of folks that trash things, but it only takes about 10% to mitigate the damage. 10% leave their trash, ignore the local standards of conduct, react badly to being corrected, etc., but if we can get just 10% of the folks to pick it up, spread the word about what needs to happen, and act as ambassadors of our group, we can make it sustainable. There will always be dip-shits still figuring it out, but we can accept those losses. All we need is 10% to counter the damage inflicted by the other 10%.

Thanks, when you get yelled at for trying to keep someone from getting mowed over by a speeding truck it's sometimes hard to think positive about things.

I emailed the Rumney Police dept. about my concerns with the speeding locals and the parked cars. hopefully they can come up with something that will help.

olderic

Sep 9, 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #44 of 45 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be a bit leary of the glass hoise syndrome if I lived in western Canada. Grassi Lakes/Spray Lakes parking/road walking is no prize, Skaha parking and access has been a drama being played out for years and the scene for the Back of the Lake is beyond comparison.

Gmburns2000

Sep 9, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #45 of 45 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

It's not that cold in BH in the winter. The ocean keeps it pretty warm for the most part. There is a definite difference in weather between BH and Ellsworth because of this, and they're only 30min apart.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$16.16 (10% off)
$12.36 (10% off)
$271.31 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook