RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

ACJ

Sep 14, 2009, 4:02 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4466 views)
Shortcut

Triple Crown Divisions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering if there are any veteran Triple Crown climbers out there that could answer a question for me. I'm not exactly a comp climber so I registered for the intermediate division without thinking, just since I saw v3-v5 grade on it.

I've never done a v5, a V4 is an all day project for me, and I can do a few v3s in a day if they are a part of my circuit and I am climbing strong before I am maxed out. Basically I am thinking that I am going to get blown out of the water and should be in the beginner category and am wondering if anyone can confirm this. I definitely don't normally do 10 problems in a day and I don't want to be "that guy" who is in the wrong division.

Can anyone fill me in on a few more of those details? As well as, is it possible to change divisions after I registered?

Thanks,
Oh yeah, I did e-mail the event organizers but I assume they are busy climbing or busting their asses to pull the event together and haven't been able to contact me back.

pseudolith

Sep 14, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] Triple Crown Divisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever category you end up climbing in, I'm sure you'll have a blast at the TC.

The organizers give some guidelines for determining which category you should enter. If, on a typical day of climbing, you feel that you could climb two or three problems in the V3 - V5 range that you have never climbed before, then intermediate is probably where you should compete.

If V2 is the norm for you, and multiple V3's in a session would be a rarity, then maybe beginner is where you should be.

It's all pretty subjective. There will always be some people at comps deliberatley sandbagging, and the intermediate category is notorious for that. Remember, sandbagging = lame.

I would suggest competing in the beginner category, and climbing your hardest. If you do well and get bumped, then that's something to be proud of rather than to get upset about. See you in Boone!

boo

Sep 14, 2009, 1:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd add to pseudolith's post this:

If you go to any part of the Triple Crown with 'winning', 'placing' as a primary goal, you will miss out on an awesome time of climbing. Especially, if you haven't climbed at the venue.

They added a collect a star division a couple years back. Do that and forget about the grade. Go climb every starred problem until your skin falls off. You might win a prize, but you will be guarenteed a fantastic day and a good overview of the boulderfield.

ACJ

Sep 14, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Triple Crown Divisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The collect a star division sounds much more like my style but I didn't see an option for that when I registered. Are they still doing it this year?

Thanks for the advice!

IkeEisenstadt

Sep 15, 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, I agree with the other replies. Go and have a great time, first and foremost.

If you can't climb V3 or better all day long outdoors, you should be in the beginner division. Don't worry about divisions too much right now, you don't have to make up your mind until you turn in your scorecard.

The StarChaser division is a blast, and is a great way to explore the boulder fields, but is VERY difficult to win (if that is a goal of yours). At HP40 last year the winner climbed over 70 problems that day, and was moving through the property at an amazing pace.

Personally, I climb all day, look for the fun problems, and have NEVER turned in a scorecard. I'm in the Old-Foggies division, and even those guys climb V6-V7 (really!).

JasonsDrivingForce

Sep 28, 2009, 1:15 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IkeEisenstadt] Triple Crown Divisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I signed up with my son for Hound Ears. I can’t wait to climb with him there. I signed up for the intermediate division. However, I have never climbed more than a V3 so I know that I won’t place anywhere near the top. That doesn’t matter to me though. I just want to complete my first V4 there. If I do that I will consider myself a winner. Sure I could probably just compete in the beginner category but I really think that climbing against better climbers helps to make me a better climber.

My son is also competing. I signed him up for the youth division. However, I am a little worried about that. He doesn’t climb more than a V1 mostly due to lack of reach. He is only 45 inches tall. I have seen some of the other kids in the youth division climb and they are all definitely outside of the beginner level.

Would it be better for him to try the beginner division or stick with the youth division? Either way most of the competitors in those divisions will be 2-3 times his age.

IkeEisenstadt

Sep 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Triple Crown Divisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your not concerned about placement, then it doesn't matter what division you checked in the online registration. You can go climb whatever you want. There are hundreds (yes, hundreds) of problems to try. It doesn't really have the feeling of an indoor comp at all. Just tons of positive vibes and great fun.
Your boy will have a good time, and there are some fun V0-V1 things for short folks. Bring a harness for him, there are a few climbs that should really have a 5.8 rating he'll prolly crush. He should find a good bit of stuff up at the top of the hill. If you give me you're e-mail, I'll try to look back on David's (my boy) old score cards from a few years back, and see if I can get a "little man" tick list together for ya.
Just a suggestion (bit of a pet peeve of mine), Don't make a big thing about the "competition", make it about climbing outdoors with a bunch of people and having fun. This is NOT a USAC Youth Comp. The top end of the youth division typically will have a card full of V3-V5 climbs, so pushing him through to score as well as possible will most likely be fruitless and frustrating, and will entirely miss the point of it all.
One other suggestion, bring food. They normally do not have anything to eat at the top of the hill, and the little ones get hungry and grumpy otherwise.

See ya there!

JasonsDrivingForce

Sep 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #8 of 10 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IkeEisenstadt wrote:
It doesn't really have the feeling of an indoor comp at all. Just tons of positive vibes and great fun.
Your boy will have a good time, and there are some fun V0-V1 things for short folks. Bring a harness for him, there are a few climbs that should really have a 5.8 rating he'll prolly crush. He should find a good bit of stuff up at the top of the hill. If you give me you're e-mail, I'll try to look back on David's (my boy) old score cards from a few years back, and see if I can get a "little man" tick list together for ya.
Just a suggestion (bit of a pet peeve of mine), Don't make a big thing about the "competition", make it about climbing outdoors with a bunch of people and having fun. This is NOT a USAC Youth Comp. The top end of the youth division typically will have a card full of V3-V5 climbs, so pushing him through to score as well as possible will most likely be fruitless and frustrating, and will entirely miss the point of it all.
One other suggestion, bring food. They normally do not have anything to eat at the top of the hill, and the little ones get hungry and grumpy otherwise.

See ya there!

Great post. Yea I won't push him in the competition part at all. I just want him to enjoy some climbs outside.

I know he will have fun anyway. It will be our first camping trip together also. However, it looks like it might rain a lot on Saturday. Is Sunday an alternate day incase of rain on Saturday?

IkeEisenstadt

Sep 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Triple Crown Divisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of years back it rained hard on Friday Night, and they went ahead anyways (kinda leveled the playing field really--hehehe). As far as I know, if they had to call it off, they would prolly re-schedule for a totally different weekend (That's what happened three or four years back at LRC, I think). Due to the sensitive nature of access at Hound Ears, and the distance that some people come for this event, it would have to be pretty nasty to call things off.

I live many, many, many hours away from the High Country, and can only look at weather reports which say it'll be dry this week, and have a 30% chance of rain for the day.

Oh yeah, one other TC Kid Camping hint....

It would probably suit you better to camp well back from the Community Center. They can get to whooping and hollering, and generally carrying on there, and it may be difficult to get a little(er) one to sleep that close to the party. Saturday is going to be long, and he'll likely need all the sleep he can get.

JasonsDrivingForce

Sep 29, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IkeEisenstadt wrote:
Oh yeah, one other TC Kid Camping hint....

It would probably suit you better to camp well back from the Community Center. They can get to whooping and hollering, and generally carrying on there, and it may be difficult to get a little(er) one to sleep that close to the party. Saturday is going to be long, and he'll likely need all the sleep he can get.

Good thought. I will try to get as far back from the party as possible. I need my sleep as well. I might have to drive the 4-5 hours back after the comp. However, I am trying to stay the night on Saturday as well.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook