Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

tedman

Sep 14, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #1 of 15 (5906 views)
Shortcut

multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so we didnt have a third person on the latest trip to the creek so I couldnt take pics while the pair belayed. Still wanted photos so I got a remote and set up the tripod with a line in frame. as my we climbed the belayer triggered the camera multiple times as we went up the line.

what I want is to paste the pictures together so you get one climber in a bunch of different positions on his way up the line. I've seen it done before, just wondering how. I have very little experience with photoshop, heck I dont even have it on my computer right now, I just use Lightroom 2 for all my tweaking needs.

The line was shot on a d40, manual focus, white balance was not on auto. I left the aperture and shutter speed on auto. Lighting was pretty consistent, no glaring shadows or sun spots, but it was obviously outdoors so the lighting will change a bit from pic to pic but nothing huge.

Is there a program I can downlo...I mean go out and buy to do this easily or is it going to be a hack job with photoshop?

Thanks!

patto

Sep 14, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #2 of 15 (5894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This program is the absolute bomb!

The website might look shonky but it is a free homemade program that has been licensed and used in many commercial panoramic softwares.

I've stitched as many as 10 imaages together using this.

http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

kriso9tails

Sep 14, 2009, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 15 (5889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tedman wrote:
Is there a program I can downlo...I mean go out and buy to do this easily or is it going to be a hack job with photoshop?

Thanks!

I could answer better if I knew a) what the shots looked like and how you were trying to comp them and b) what version of Photoshop you have available.

There are built in, automated features that may help you right from the get go. It's may be something that requires a bit of very basic Photoshop work. It seems less likely, but it may require some more advanced techniques in which case a third party app. or plugin like the one mentioned in the post above may have a better result.

Neel

Sep 14, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 15 (5875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
This program is the absolute bomb!

The website might look shonky but it is a free homemade program that has been licensed and used in many commercial panoramic softwares.

I've stitched as many as 10 imaages together using this.

http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

+1 for Autostitch

codhands

Sep 14, 2009, 5:22 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definately use ful manual, a little bit of change in lighting/exposure goes a long way towards making your multiple exposure stitches look crappy.

tedman

Sep 14, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

will autostitch work when its the exact same frame for each shot? The camera never moved, the zoom stayed the same etc. The only difference between the shots is the position of the climber on the line, and I guess the rope going down from him.

Guess it'l be easy enough to try when I get home. Thanks for the link!

viciado

Sep 14, 2009, 8:52 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you aren't putting together a pano, I don't think a stitch program is what you are looking for. Try GIMP (google it). It is a relatively powerful free photshop type program. You would probably do best to open your first photo and then add each subsequent photo as a layer. You would erase what you don't want in each of those (leaving only the climber) and then anchor that layer, moving on to the next. This way the details of the frames should line up and you would only have to tweak the climber in each layer.

gmggg

Sep 14, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [viciado] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The phrase you should be using in Google is "composite photography".

There are a lot of different methods. Photoshop is pretty easy because (if your tripod didn't move at all) you can just use a rectangle marquee to cut around each climbing pose and it should fit perfectly in. You shouldn't need any blending or smudging. Well... depending on your lighting changes...

kriso9tails

Sep 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Photoshop is pretty easy because (if your tripod didn't move at all) you can just use a rectangle marquee to cut around each climbing pose and it should fit perfectly in.

Auto-align will take care of most of that (tripod shake, or minor issues from aperture adjustments), but I don't know which version that was introduced in. Feathering your selection or softening your brush if masking should cover the rest.

patto

Sep 15, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #10 of 15 (5756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tedman wrote:
will autostitch work when its the exact same frame for each shot? The camera never moved, the zoom stayed the same etc. The only difference between the shots is the position of the climber on the line, and I guess the rope going down from him.

Sorry tedman. I really should read the entire post! No I don't think it will work. I was thinking about panoramic photo joining.

But there is no harm in trying it! It take about 5minutes to do. Just do it with 2 images and see what happens.

tedman

Sep 15, 2009, 4:34 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah didnt quite work. joined them just fine, but got extremely faint ghost climbers on a very solid line...

nattfodd

Sep 15, 2009, 8:28 AM
Post #12 of 15 (5720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up layer masks, this is what you are looking for. It will work in any version of photoshop or gimp and is actually pretty simple if your images are really well aligned (i.e. there's no wind movements of the leaves, that kind of things).

I can give it a go, if you want, just mail me the images.

kovacs69

Sep 15, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
tedman wrote:

Sorry tedman. I really should read the entire post! No I don't think it will work. I was thinking about panoramic photo joining.

But there is no harm in trying it! It take about 5minutes to do. Just do it with 2 images and see what happens.

I am glad you didn't read the entire post. I tried autostitch like you suggested. I think it is great. I only tried the free version. Do you know if the pay version is a little more user friendly?

JB

Vorago

Sep 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Hugin, it's free and works great !

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 16, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] multiple shots from tripod, how to join them together? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
gmggg wrote:
Photoshop is pretty easy because (if your tripod didn't move at all) you can just use a rectangle marquee to cut around each climbing pose and it should fit perfectly in.

Auto-align will take care of most of that (tripod shake, or minor issues from aperture adjustments), but I don't know which version that was introduced in. Feathering your selection or softening your brush if masking should cover the rest.

I'm pretty sure it was introduced in CS2.

Another +1 for Photoshop. What you're trying to do is easy, and I always support learning how to do such things instead of just trying to find a program to do it for you. For what you're doing the camera will be so wide angle that you should have a ton of tolerance. Drop the images all into one on multiple layers. Turn all but the base into a mask, and crop out all the extra. Piece of cake.

If your camera didn't move at all and the exposure stayed the same you won't even have to mask precisely. The craggy nature of the rock usually makes it easy to blend in masks.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook