Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Sep 16, 2009, 3:48 PM
Post #26 of 231 (11874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Right, cause it's totally possible to train SIZE AND STRENGTH while you simultaneously train ENDURANCE in the same muscle group.

I quoted you to see that smiley getting burried again, but it doesn't come through in quote!

(O.K., I quoted you to see some sense in this thread, but I still liked that smiley!

The look on it's 'face' when the first brick hits...)

mr.tastycakes

Sep 16, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #27 of 231 (11868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as i've gotten more and more into climbing, i keep cutting down on lifting weights. I aim for 4 climbing days per week, and only one lifting day which consists of:

squats (4-5 working sets; front or back squats)
clean and press (3-4 working sets), and
incline or flat bench (3-4 working sets)

one hour per week, all hard compound lifts. DONE. isolation exercises pale in comparison. lift like an athlete, not like a bodybuilder, eh? Arms day is for weenies.

Like most people, sat/sun are my outdoor climbing days, so i try to put the lifting in the middle of the week so i'm fully recovered by saturday.

and squats are one of the best exercise out there for total body strength...don't drop 'em from your routine.

scotty1974

Sep 16, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #28 of 231 (11859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] priceless title [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Will this information be shared or just pointed out that it's wrong?

I'm interested to hear what the issues are.

TerminalVelocity

Sep 16, 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #29 of 231 (11828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
Also skip all the squats and that shit. Instead kill two birds with one stone. Do a true nordic ski machine with the incline high, to develop your leg size and strength while also improving cardio and leg endurance.

Right, cause it's totally possible to train SIZE AND STRENGTH while you simultaneously train ENDURANCE in the same muscle group.

Wow, your a complete fucking moron. You should just stick with paying for girls at "The Ranch".

Tactix23

Sep 17, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #30 of 231 (11818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
as i've gotten more and more into climbing, i keep cutting down on lifting weights. I aim for 4 climbing days per week, and only one lifting day which consists of:

squats (4-5 working sets; front or back squats)
clean and press (3-4 working sets), and
incline or flat bench (3-4 working sets)

one hour per week, all hard compound lifts. DONE. isolation exercises pale in comparison. lift like an athlete, not like a bodybuilder, eh? Arms day is for weenies.

Like most people, sat/sun are my outdoor climbing days, so i try to put the lifting in the middle of the week so i'm fully recovered by saturday.

and squats are one of the best exercise out there for total body strength...don't drop 'em from your routine.

this is actually great advice.. I might try this, since I only have time for 1-2 lift days anyway. I might as well do one good compact one. I'll throw in pushups on off days if I feel like it too

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #31 of 231 (11814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TerminalVelocity] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
Also skip all the squats and that shit. Instead kill two birds with one stone. Do a true nordic ski machine with the incline high, to develop your leg size and strength while also improving cardio and leg endurance.

Wow, your a complete fucking moron. You should just stick with paying for girls at "The Ranch".

Um, I'd like to see Aerili pay for girls at "The Ranch". Usually though, girls get dances free at strip joints.

Look, if you're going to snap at everyone here who has forgotten more than you've ever known -- which, I suspect, is a very long list in your case -- this is going to be a bumpy ride for you, and, I'll be honest, you'll probably wind up looking like a complete fucking moron in the process.

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #32 of 231 (11813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah, I don't know shit, I'm a "Crossfitter". Shut the FUCK UP! You don't know me. I played running back in high school at 5'8 210, so I believe I know how to lift for size and strength.

Tactix I'll give you some advice but, as usually the morons who "Think they know everyhting", will no doubt chime in. I'll tell you what worked for me when I was lifting but, people are different so I can't say it will help but hopefully get you in the right direction.

Chest and Tris.

Bench: 3 sets. first set 10 easy reps. Second a weight at around 6-8 reps. Third Max. Stick at that max weight until you can do 3 reps (without really struggling) Then once you can do that add 20 pounds. Say you ORM at 315, once you can do that comfortable 3 times try 335 and the so on.

Incline: same as bench

Close grip: 3 sets, 10,6,4

Flys: Best on the machine, 3 sets, first 10, then 4-8 for last 2 sets.

Dips: 2 sets chest forward until failure, the 2 sets chest back 2 sets until failure (for the tris this is probably the best exercise.)

Pushdowns: 3, sets.

Shrugs: 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Switch up some of the exercises once an awhile. Try kickbacks, skull crushers overhead and military presses. Also for one week every month, do lighter weight and higher reps in the 12-20 range.

Bulky legs are annoying, but here are the exercises.

Squats: 4 sets, 10,8,6,4. Go deep, at least parallel but aim past that, almost as if trying to touch your ass on the floor.

Hack Squats: I did these facing the padding of the machine to really hit the quads. 4 sets, 10,8,6,10.

90 Degree Leg Press. 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Extensions: 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Leg Curls: 3 set 10,8,8.

Seated Calf Rises: 4 sets, 10,8,6,12.

Standing Calf Rises: 3 sets, 10,6,12.

I would advise aganist lunges, they can easily cause problems.

Hope this helps. Good Luck on your goals.Wink

Partner angry

Sep 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #33 of 231 (11813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

I hear Aerili does that all the time

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #34 of 231 (11809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

I hear Aerili does that all the time

Oh, you dumb bitch. I GU'd you so hard.

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #35 of 231 (11807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
Yeah, I don't know shit, I'm a "Crossfitter". Shut the FUCK UP! You don't know me. I played running back in high school at 5'8 210, so I believe I know how to lift for size and strength.

Tactix I'll give you some advice but, as usually the morons who "Think they know everyhting", will no doubt chime in. I'll tell you what worked for me when I was lifting but, people are different so I can't say it will help but hopefully get you in the right direction.

Chest and Tris.

Bench: 3 sets. first set 10 easy reps. Second a weight at around 6-8 reps. Third Max. Stick at that max weight until you can do 3 reps (without really struggling) Then once you can do that add 20 pounds. Say you ORM at 315, once you can do that comfortable 3 times try 335 and the so on.

Incline: same as bench

Close grip: 3 sets, 10,6,4

Flys: Best on the machine, 3 sets, first 10, then 4-8 for last 2 sets.

Dips: 2 sets chest forward until failure, the 2 sets chest back 2 sets until failure (for the tris this is probably the best exercise.)

Pushdowns: 3, sets.

Shrugs: 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Switch up some of the exercises once an awhile. Try kickbacks, skull crushers overhead and military presses. Also for one week every month, do lighter weight and higher reps in the 12-20 range.

Bulky legs are annoying, but here are the exercises.

Squats: 4 sets, 10,8,6,4. Go deep, at least parallel but aim past that, almost as if trying to touch your ass on the floor.

Hack Squats: I did these facing the padding of the machine to really hit the quads. 4 sets, 10,8,6,10.

90 Degree Leg Press. 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Extensions: 3 sets, 10,8,6.

Leg Curls: 3 set 10,8,8.

Seated Calf Rises: 4 sets, 10,8,6,12.

Standing Calf Rises: 3 sets, 10,6,12.

I would advise aganist lunges, they can easily cause problems.

Hope this helps. Good Luck on your goals.Wink

I'm quoting this for when you decide to erase all your posts in a hissy fit!

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 1:10 AM
Post #36 of 231 (11799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

Um, I'd like to see Aerili pay for girls at "The Ranch". Usually though, girls get dances free at strip joints.

Look, if you're going to snap at everyone here who has forgotten more than you've ever known -- which, I suspect, is a very long list in your case -- this is going to be a bumpy ride for you, and, I'll be honest, you'll probably wind up looking like a complete fucking moron in the process.

No, I just have a problem with assholes who act and think that they have a PHD in every aspect of life. Lastly, your in no position to question intelligence, you have over 15,000 posts. Maybe, you might want to try and get out in the real world and gain some knowledge in common sense.

whipper

Sep 17, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #37 of 231 (11794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, high school football running back. Everyone really should show that guy some respect.
I bet everyone else on here were just band nerds...

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2009, 1:22 AM
Post #38 of 231 (11791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

No, I just have a problem with assholes who act and think that they have a PHD in every aspect of life. Lastly, your in no position to question intelligence, you have over 15,000 posts. Maybe, you might want to try and get out in the real world and gain some knowledge in common sense.

No, she didn't act like she had a Ph.D. in every aspect of life, she actually acted like she had knowledge in a subject she has a lot of knowledge in. YOUR right though, I am in no position to question YOUR intelligence. It speaks entirely for itself. Touting your pathetic post count as a moral victory is lame, but the fact you probably can't even climb worth a shit with all your lifting is recompense enough for me...

(This post was edited by zeke_sf on Sep 17, 2009, 1:23 AM)

Partner angry

Sep 17, 2009, 1:32 AM
Post #39 of 231 (11784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

you're

Partner angry

Sep 17, 2009, 1:33 AM
Post #40 of 231 (11782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck you Zeke, no, double fuck you.

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2009, 1:35 AM
Post #41 of 231 (11779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Fuck you Zeke, no, double fuck you.

Oh, you beautiful man you. You've made my night. You can't pay for that kind of satisfaction. Well, at The Ranch you can. It's not exactly legal though, and the boyfriend gets to watch.

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 1:53 AM
Post #42 of 231 (11774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

No, she didn't act like she had a Ph.D. in every aspect of life, she actually acted like she had knowledge in a subject she has a lot of knowledge in. YOUR right though, I am in no position to question YOUR intelligence. It speaks entirely for itself. Touting your pathetic post count as a moral victory is lame, but the fact you probably can't even climb worth a shit with all your lifting is recompense enough for me...

Yeah, she has a "LOT" of experience being a man and gaining muscle mass as a man. What is your basis for which she has all this insightful info on the subject? Are you implying that by "a lot of knowledge" as you put it, she is a man?

Partner angry

Sep 17, 2009, 1:58 AM
Post #43 of 231 (11772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

Yeah, she has a "LOT" of experience being a man and gaining muscle mass as a man. What is your basis for which she has all this insightful info on the subject? Are you implying that by "a lot of knowledge" as you put it, she is a man?

If by man you mean a degree in Exercise Physiology and years of experience training all sorts of people, including men, then yes, she's a man. In fact, she probably taught the people who taught the classes that your trainer from H.S. football got the notes from once. To put it in perspective.

So whether or not she's the man, she definitely owns your ass.

And fuck you zeke, if you go 3 times on this one, I'll cut you.

(This post was edited by angry on Sep 17, 2009, 2:00 AM)

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 2:17 AM
Post #44 of 231 (11766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:

If by man you mean a degree in Exercise Physiology and years of experience training all sorts of people, including men, then yes, she's a man. In fact, she probably taught the people who taught the classes that your trainer from H.S. football got the notes from once. To put it in perspective.

So whether or not she's the man, she definitely owns your ass.

And fuck you zeke, if you go 3 times on this one, I'll cut you.

Clearly, a degree means you're an expert. She's the one who says you can't gain size and strength while also increasing endurance. Yeah that degree bought her a shit load of useful information. Why don't you ask a someone who is older than a 25 year old just out of school, with proven research and ask them. You are also a moron, a dick, and should try not frequenting your computer so much.

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 2:48 AM
Post #45 of 231 (11764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Haha. Yeah, trainers are so smart, then why the fuck can't they get people in shape? I made my own routine, so I know what works. I didn't realize she knew what worked and how it helped improve my goals. But I was mistaken, she must have been watching from afar. My 20 years of experience are nothing compared to her degree reading old text books, which the information has dramatically changed and continues to change daily.

Let us take your idea of the matter and apply it to climbing. You spend four years reading and listening to lectures on proper technique, anchor setup and so on. So I'm guessing after you graduate with this degree you can climb 5.15 and beyond.

I'll stick with hands on experience over a degree. Why don't you go to Iran with a degree in ethics without speaking Farci, they'll really like you.

(This post was edited by TerminalVelocity on Sep 17, 2009, 3:14 AM)

drewstEEz

Sep 17, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #46 of 231 (11756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you have a pretty good idea of what you want from your workout. Focus on antagonist muscle groups (legs, core, and push muscles) and integrate them into a high rep, medium/light weight workout regimen w/ some cardio. Your goals will determine the weight you use and also the amount of cardio you want. The key is working out to complete failure.

Example workout:

Bench press- 10-6-4's (10 reps at 70%-60% your max weight, 6 reps at 50%-40%, and 4 reps at 30%-20% back-to-back-to-back) Do this three times and make sure you have a spotter! You'll know your using the right weight if the first set was hard but not all you've got.

Add some cardio in there and youll be done.

Not only will this tone you up, you'll see gains in mass (depending on the weight you are using), and best of all, IMHO, you'll improve your lactic acid threshold (muscle endurance).

You can do this type of work out for any muscle group. I use the 10-6-4 only for bench and incorporate multiple exercises back-to-back-to...... for other muscle groups. For example:

Legs

10 squats w/ weight, 15 lunges w/weight, calf raises, jumping squats

do that three times and some cardio.

aerili

Sep 17, 2009, 6:23 AM
Post #47 of 231 (11741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
Aside from the fact that I never have to pay for sex, T.V., what kind of exercise science research and application did you develop in the fucking moron-ville they call your head?

(I figured that last paragraph was apt to be in language you understand.)

TerminalVelocity wrote:
She's the one who says you can't gain size and strength while also increasing endurance. Yeah that degree bought her a shit load of useful information. Why don't you ask a someone who is older than a 25 year old just out of school, with proven research and ask them.
Firstly, it is true you cannot gain size, strength and endurance all while doing the exact same kind of exercise (i.e. stuff like your Nordic trek recommendation).

Secondly, I LOVE IT when people think I'm 25 and apparently just out of school! I am soooo flattered!!! So much so that I don't think I will burst your bubble with reality.

TerminalVelocity wrote:
My 20 years of experience are nothing compared to her degree reading old text books, which the information has dramatically changed and continues to change daily.
But actually, Mr. Velocity, this quote is truly the best of the bunch.

Why, you ask?

Well, aside from the fact that you think theoretical study has absolutely nothing to do with practical application (regardless of the marvels of science and techology all around you), it just makes me laugh that you actually believe the workout you posted is somehow....hmmm....NEW, PROVEN TO GIVE THE IDEAL RESULTS, or even remotely CUTTING EDGE.

I mean, really, your workout based on h.s. football training from 20 years ago? Cause your knock-me-out training format has been used for that long (and more). But I can tell you, ain't no one in my "qualified, degreed" training studio (where we do train athletes....where men even let ME train THEM to gain MUSCLE! craziness, huh!!) would ask people to pay them for that kind of laymen/noob workout.

aerili

Sep 17, 2009, 6:33 AM
Post #48 of 231 (11737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To angry, TerminalVelocity wrote:
You are also a moron, a dick, and should try not frequenting your computer so much.

Oh yeah--and angry had more brain cells during his second week in utero than you had at age 10. (Which is saying a lot, cause you're born with all the brain cells you'll have, but hey, you have to read stupid stuff like textbooks to know those kind of things.)

Edited to add: sidepull, your prediction has been fulfilled. What were the odds?! So glad I could help Wink

(This post was edited by aerili on Sep 17, 2009, 6:36 AM)

andersjr

Sep 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #49 of 231 (11724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TerminalVelocity wrote:
You don't know me. I played running back in high school at 5'8 210, so I believe I know how to lift for size and strength.

i bet your team would have won state if coach would have put you in that game.

have you ever tried to throw a football over that mountain? i bet you could.

thanks for the info Uncle Rico.

TerminalVelocity

Sep 17, 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #50 of 231 (11714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
Aside from the fact that I never have to pay for sex, T.V., what kind of exercise science research and application did you develop in the fucking moron-ville they call your head?

(I figured that last paragraph was apt to be in language you understand.)

TerminalVelocity wrote:
She's the one who says you can't gain size and strength while also increasing endurance. Yeah that degree bought her a shit load of useful information. Why don't you ask a someone who is older than a 25 year old just out of school, with proven research and ask them.
Firstly, it is true you cannot gain size, strength and endurance all while doing the exact same kind of exercise (i.e. stuff like your Nordic trek recommendation).

Secondly, I LOVE IT when people think I'm 25 and apparently just out of school! I am soooo flattered!!! So much so that I don't think I will burst your bubble with reality.

TerminalVelocity wrote:
My 20 years of experience are nothing compared to her degree reading old text books, which the information has dramatically changed and continues to change daily.
But actually, Mr. Velocity, this quote is truly the best of the bunch.

Why, you ask?

Well, aside from the fact that you think theoretical study has absolutely nothing to do with practical application (regardless of the marvels of science and techology all around you), it just makes me laugh that you actually believe the workout you posted is somehow....hmmm....NEW, PROVEN TO GIVE THE IDEAL RESULTS, or even remotely CUTTING EDGE.

I mean, really, your workout based on h.s. football training from 20 years ago? Cause your knock-me-out training format has been used for that long (and more). But I can tell you, ain't no one in my "qualified, degreed" training studio (where we do train athletes....where men even let ME train THEM to gain MUSCLE! craziness, huh!!) would ask people to pay them for that kind of laymen/noob workout.

Hahaha I gave advice saying what worked for me, as far as gaining SIZE, but obviously your degree didn't come along with the ability to understand the english language. But I'm curious, when did I say this was the "New and Cutting edge workout"? Please tell me, when does having a degree make "you" a qualified expert? If you truly had any knowledge you would know that, some things don't work for some people while others do.

But, you clearly "know" more than everybody, with "your" studio and its cohorts.

I'm very curious and have a question to ask. What size is that stick up your ass?

(This post was edited by TerminalVelocity on Sep 17, 2009, 1:38 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook