RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

dylfoot

Sep 17, 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1432 views)
Shortcut

New River Gorging
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a recent college grad with no true ambitions, except to climb and figure out what my true ambitions are. I posted up in the little college town of Athens, Ohio. Athens is in the western outskirts of Appalachia and offers some of the most appealing landscapes in the whole state of Ohio. Athens also has great proximity to world class climbing areas on the East Coast.
New River Gorge, WV - 2.5hrs
Red River Gorge, KY - 3.5hrs
Coopers Rock, WV -2.5hrs
Southern Bouldering - ~8hrs
plus much more that I've not got the chance to explore.

My trip report has to do with the New River Gorge, though. My climbing partner and I started to indulge in Wednesdays with West Virginia and began midweek, day-trip cragging. 3 months of going to the New at least once/week equals to about 15 visits. Each trip brought us to a new cliff line with different routes. The amount of developed climbing in the New is amazing and more is being bolted. Trad lines accompany the sport crags and the routes seem limitless. The type of climbing at the New will keep you on your toes (quite literally); the dead vertical sandstone faces made me down-climb, plan my attack, execute and send. After this summer, I feel like climbing is finally giving back as much as I've put into it. Our relationship is better than ever.
The climbs are amazing, but so is the town of Fayetteville, which is the main hub for dirtbags turned locals:
The gear store, Waterstone Outdoors, provides the best shoe selection I've seen and most of those guys that work there are the reason more lines keep going up every week.
Diogi's Mexican Restaurant is the place to eat dinner and if you don't have a date you can sit with your dog. Plus, they have beer on tap and some damn good coffee.
Cathedral Cafe is the breakfast joint, they seem to have a whole section devoted to climbers. I get the 5.10, which costs $5.10.
Pies and Pints offers gourmet pizza and a quality beer selection, good luck gettin served if you're not of age, though.
Camping is available and Roger's will put you up for 6 bucks a night (I think) and he'll make you coffee in the morning. Not to mention, Roger's place is a 5 minute hike to Kaymoor, one of the best crags at the New.

So, next time you're in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia take the time to go to the New. Stop by Waterstone and buy a sticker, go down to the Seven Eleven Wall and climb "First Steps," then take it all in and let your relationship with climbing and the culture around it flourish. Maybe you'll fall in love and decide to become a Fayetteville local.
Did I mention there's a river if you're into paddling?
And tons of bouldering, too?
And DWS? (although it's frowned upon)
And a bad ass new skatepark and freeride park under construction?
Anyway, maybe I'll see you there, I'll be the owner of that three-legged-dog that runs at you barking like crazy.

sonso45

Sep 19, 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylfoot] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved NRG, gotta get back soon. Nice story, really highlights the area.

rockandlice

Sep 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylfoot] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dylfoot wrote:
Anyway, maybe I'll see you there, I'll be the owner of that three-legged-dog that runs at you barking like crazy.

Haha. I'm up there mid-week often myself. I'll be sure to say what up if I come across your three legged friend.

Oh, and for the record, the carnitas at Giogi's is THE dish to get there.

Partner j_ung

Sep 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dylfoot, on behalf of the locals, thank you for the kind words! Ask Oscar to make you a crab chimichanga. Pure bliss, I tell you. Smile

rockandlice

Sep 21, 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Dylfoot, on behalf of the locals, thank you for the kind words! Ask Oscar to make you a crab chimichanga. Pure bliss, I tell you. Smile

Hmm, maybe I'll havde to make that request Sat. night. I've been dying for the carnitas though. It's been a couple of months since I had it.

steinmethod

Oct 1, 2009, 9:31 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

will keep this in mind next time at the New... :)

currupt4130

Oct 5, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #7 of 7 (986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] New River Gorging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The New is my favorite place to climb. Hands down. I'm not local but I'm there enough to know a good handful of people living at Rogers and have used my guide book enough that the cover finally tore off. Can't wait for the new one.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$6.75 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$8.75 (10% off)
$21.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook