Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
When will Shelter 1 Bluff be open again?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dave172

Sep 24, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #1 of 2 (613 views)
Shortcut

When will Shelter 1 Bluff be open again?  (North_America: United_States: Illinois: South: Giant_City)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know when the debris from the storm in May will be cleaned up and Shelter 1 be open again? Its been over three months and the road is still closed? Does anyone have any information?

David

ericulner

Sep 27, 2009, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 2 (598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dave172] When will Shelter 1 Bluff be open again? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dave172,

The northern section of Giant City State Park remains closed due to damage from the May 8 Derecho storm. An IDNR employee / friend of mine told me that a large cottonwood tree had uprooted and landed on one of the park roadway bridges, cracking its foundation. Given the current status of our state's budget, I wouldn't count on it being fixed too soon. But you never know, money can seem to materialize for projects with some political pressure, especially when tourism dollars are at stake.

Anyway, one might then consider the idea of walking in to the closed section of the park to climb, but I would assume that park management wouldn't be too psyched about that since an ambulance can't get in there if someone were hurt. Come to think of it, the ambulance crews wouldn't be too psyched either...
-Eric

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook