RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

madison.P

Sep 28, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4253 views)
Shortcut

Questions about climbing for a newbie
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm a high school senior doing my senior exit project on rock climbing. I plan on making a harness for my product. I am required to do a 10 question interview, so I thought maybe posting here would be a start. I'm posting in the women's forum because I thought you ladies might have a similar point of view (I'm a girl BTW). If you choose to answer the questions I'll need your email address; I will not be giving it out or any such thing.
Here are the questions:
1. What is your favorite part of rock climbing?

2. What is your favorite piece of gear to use?

3. What do you look for in a harness?

4. What do you feel is the most difficult aspect of rock climbing?

5. Do you prefer indoor or outdoor climbing?

6. What is the most physically demanding aspect of rock climbing?

7. What is something you would like to improve in your rock climbing?

8. What method of climbing do you prefer?

9. If you could improve one thing about your harness, what would it be?

10. If you were to describe the experience of rock climbing in one word, what would it be?

If you would like to do it privately, then i'll attach the document. You can email me at madison.pharr@yahoo.com.

Thank you!!
Attachments: Interview GP.doc (20.5 KB)

clausti

Sep 28, 2009, 8:54 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madison.P] Questions about climbing for a newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

senior exit project in what? industrial design? fashion? rec ed? do you rock climb? why'd you pick rockclimbing? why a harness? what's a senior exit project?

madison.P

Sep 28, 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Questions about climbing for a newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A senior exit project is basically a project that encompasses a whole semester. It involves a research paper, product, portfolio, and presentation. We were free to choose whatever topic interested us, so I chose rock climbing. I am an avid kayaker and I enjoy the outdoors, so I thought that learning how to rock climb, and the various elements surrounding it would be an enjoyable experience. I chose to make a harness because it is a tangible object that I could make. I have access to the tools required to make one.

The interview is very simple; it just gives me a general idea about rock climbing. The answers don't have to be very detailed; its basically a formality that I have to turn in.

-Madison

clausti

Sep 28, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madison.P wrote:
A senior exit project is basically a project that encompasses a whole semester. It involves a research paper, product, portfolio, and presentation. We were free to choose whatever topic interested us, so I chose rock climbing. I am an avid kayaker and I enjoy the outdoors, so I thought that learning how to rock climb, and the various elements surrounding it would be an enjoyable experience. I chose to make a harness because it is a tangible object that I could make. I have access to the tools required to make one.

The interview is very simple; it just gives me a general idea about rock climbing. The answers don't have to be very detailed; its basically a formality that I have to turn in.

-Madison

you have access to a bar tacker that'll go through webbing? and if you're going to learn to rock climb for your project, why don't you interview the people you're going to climb with? how many responses do you need?

have you already gone climbing before you devised your questions? the reason i ask this is the "what method of climbing do you prefer" has at least two different possible answer sets. are you asking sport or trad or are you asking lead or toprope, for starters?

granite_grrl

Sep 28, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
madison.P wrote:

-Madison

you have access to a bar tacker that'll go through webbing? and if you're going to learn to rock climb for your project, why don't you interview the people you're going to climb with? how many responses do you need?

have you already gone climbing before you devised your questions? the reason i ask this is the "what method of climbing do you prefer" has at least two different possible answer sets. are you asking sport or trad or are you asking lead or toprope, for starters?
And ice, don't forget ice. And aid....and alpline......

madison.P

Sep 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I will have access to the necessary equipment. That is why I chose to make the harness. I already have a mentor at the facility I am taking lessons at. I would ask him these questions, but the classes doesn't start until the end of next week. I also wanted an opinion from another source, since he will be my primary source of first-hand experience. I only need one person's responses to the questions.

I have only been indoor climbing a few times, so my knowledge is limited, other than books I have been reading. I left the question open ended because there are many different possible answers. Either choice or both would suffice.

I appreciate the questions.
-Madison

lhwang

Sep 29, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madison.P wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm a high school senior doing my senior exit project on rock climbing. I plan on making a harness for my product. I am required to do a 10 question interview, so I thought maybe posting here would be a start. I'm posting in the women's forum because I thought you ladies might have a similar point of view (I'm a girl BTW). If you choose to answer the questions I'll need your email address; I will not be giving it out or any such thing.
Here are the questions:
Getting to go places few people have seen.

I've never really given this much thought, but I guess a cam?

Safety, comfort, drop seat, functional gear loops.

The mental game.

Outdoor.

Long alpine approaches.

Control of fear.

??? Onsighting or alpine, depending on what you're asking.

Nothing.

10. If you were to describe the experience of rock climbing in one word, what would it be?
Fun.

If you would like to do it privately, then i'll attach the document. You can email me at madison.pharr@yahoo.com.

Thank you!!

My replies above.

Not to dissuade you, but homemade harnesses tend to be uncomfortable and if done improperly, they can be unsafe. Good luck with your project.

clee03m

Sep 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madison.P wrote:
Here are the questions:
Mental focus where everything fades except you and the rock

Hard to say. Rope?

Comfort, gear loops, leg loops that come undone, full strength haul loop

Finding balance between climbing and the rest of my life

Outdoor

Overhanging climbs--I have to constantly watch my weight and train to maintain and improve.

So much to improve. Technique, strength, route finding, gear and rope management, self-rescue, list keeps going. I don't think I can narrow to one thing.

Not sure what you mean. Sport and trad--more technical climbing than alpine or mountaineering, if you know what I mean--not to say alpine or mountaineering is not technical...

Pretty happy with mine. More comfort?

Fulfilling

Thank you!!

Ditto on the safety thing with your home made harness.

madison.P

Sep 29, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Questions about climbing for a newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you very very much!!Smile

I appreciate your responses very much and I will definitely take safety as my highest priority. The last thing I want is a faulty harness that would injure me, or someone else.

mheyman

Oct 3, 2009, 3:21 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You are receiving a hard time here for several reasons. The women here would put more time and effort into good answers that you have put into your questions. Just take one question “What is your favorite piece of gear?” Climbers work hard to eliminate anything unnecessary. So what remains is what they feel is necessary – not favorite. They might have a favorite belay/rappel device, especially for a given type of climbing and a specific rope –see how specific it gets? The result is irritation that you don’t know enough not to ask that question, or good questions in general.

I think the first and most important thing you can learn from this is that you should learn as much as possible about something before you design a product for it.

If you start here you might learn something about harnesses and how the women here feel.

madison.P

Oct 4, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Questions about climbing for a newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My intention was not to irritate anyone. I make no bones about it, I am as green as it gets when it comes to rock climbing. It is true, I am not knowledgeable enough to be very specific with the questions I asked, but that is the purpose of the project I am doing. I intend to learn much, much more, but in order to do that I thought that getting a general overview from more experienced climbers might give me an idea of what I am going to be learning about.

I apologize, I won't waste your time anymore with my erroneous questions anymore.

mheyman

Oct 5, 2009, 3:31 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do as you will but know that the climbers here, the ones that responded to you are probably the ones you'd want as a role model or mentor, I think they'd be happier giving you time actually learning to climb. They are strong women and they don't like to be trivialized.

clausti

Oct 5, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Questions about climbing for a newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for the record, it was not my intention to give a hard time, but to ask questions that would potentially make you think, articulate more clearly, or be helpful. i didn't answer your survey because i don't want to give you my email address, and you said you needed it.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook