RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

rschap

Oct 3, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Solder for cams?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know what type of solder cam companies use and where it can be purchased? Iíve been looking for info on the internet and the only info I can find is on silver solder for jewelers. I did find a solder in the local hobby shop that claims a tensile strength of 10,000 to 25,000 psi and a melting point of 430F. itís made by Harris and is called Stay-Brite http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/consumables/alloys.asp?id=32 . I like the lower melting point, the info I found on the jewelers solder was around 600F, but is it strong enough? It does say its stronger then brass brazing. What do you guys think?

adatesman

Oct 4, 2009, 1:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

Rudmin

Oct 4, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Solder for cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the problem with looping the stem cable over the axle like they do with these Ukrainian "Links" cams:

coolcat83

Oct 4, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
You mean for brazing the cable to the head? I don't remember the exact rationale I used for selecting it, but I ended up going with this one from McMaster-Carr. It's a high fill silver solder with 35% silver, 26% copper, 21% zinc and 18% cadmium and a melting point of 1125-1295 deg F. Unfortunately I don't have any strength data on it handy (not notated on the package).

I found brazing wire rope to be a PITA and didn't have much luck with it, but that could just me be. You'll need a proper flux and will have to have both the wire and the joint very clean. My problem was that most wire rope is shipped with an oil coating that's rather hard to get out just by swishing it in a cleaner (acetone, brake cleaner, etc). An acid dip may work better, but I didn't try it. Oh, and speaking of acid dip- I recall reading that one is necessary when brazing galvanized wire rope as the zinc coating won't wet with the silver solder and needs to be removed.

Don't take any of this as gospel though, as it's just what I came up with through Google a while back when researching brazing wire rope.

EDIT- looks like the one I got is Silvaloy 35 (PDF!!!) from Wolverine Joining Technologies (http://www.silvaloy.com)

There's a special cleaner (I used the mopar version that I got with a brake kit) even better than brake cleaner that dealers use to get the factory coating off of rotors, I don't remember what it's called but when I get a chance I'll look it up, works like a charm. Maybe call your local place and ask for the parts depo.

rschap

Oct 5, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
You mean for brazing the cable to the head? I don't remember the exact rationale I used for selecting it, but I ended up going with this one from McMaster-Carr. It's a high fill silver solder with 35% silver, 26% copper, 21% zinc and 18% cadmium and a melting point of 1125-1295 deg F. Unfortunately I don't have any strength data on it handy (not notated on the package).

Yeah, for the cable to head connection. I was thinking I would use SS but it wonít work if I have to get it that hot. Once you get SS above 700 or so it oxidizes and the solder wonít stick to it. I was thinking Iíd stay away from galvanized because stripping it would be a PITA. The link to McMaster didnít work.

Also watch out when burning that cadmium, that shtuff is bad for you, Cadmium Poisoning. OSHA came to my work a couple of weeks ago and they are cracking down on chromium as well now. They are going to make us do a bunch of air quality testing while welding stainless to see how much chromium weíre inhaling.

(This post was edited by rschap on Oct 5, 2009, 5:49 PM)

rschap

Oct 5, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Solder for cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
What is the problem with looping the stem cable over the axle like they do with these Ukrainian "Links" cams:

That wont work with my design. Thanks for playing.

Rudmin

Oct 5, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Solder for cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
Rudmin wrote:

That wont work with my design. Thanks for playing.

I was just wondering in general what are the advantages of having a soldered wire in a head vs their cheaper and simpler method. I assume that the major companies have put a lot of thought into their design.

rschap

Oct 5, 2009, 8:13 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Solder for cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
I was just wondering in general what are the advantages of having a soldered wire in a head vs their cheaper and simpler method. I assume that the major companies have put a lot of thought into their design.

I assume it has to do with weight and aesthetics. The extra cable weighs more and it looks like crap. The other problem I can see with it is if you bend the cable over the top of the shaft too sharp it significantly weakens the cable. The reason for soldering the fittings instead of swaging them is the solder provides more points of contact and therefore more resistant to pulling out of the fitting. Of course the other reason for soldering instead of swaging is a swagger is expensive as hell. Last year I made a jig to use in the press break at work but Iím looking into different fitting this year and I donít want to keep making jigs.

Partner philbox

Oct 6, 2009, 1:21 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Solder for cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Being that the wire is galvanised zinc why could you not simply dip the end in sulphuric acid. Works for me when I am soldering galvanised iron box gutters. It would most certainly get rid of any residue on the zinc and also prep the zinc for soldering.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.06 (10% off)
$62.06 (10% off)
$67.28 (10% off)
$32.36 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook