Forums: Community: Campground:
Long threads and performance issues
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


ddt


Oct 5, 2009, 6:58 AM
Post #1 of 72 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2005
Posts: 2304

Long threads and performance issues
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

A few days ago we started noticing severe load issues on Rockclimbing.com with the database server getting overloaded, causing everything to back up and queries to slow way down until the site falls over. We traced the problem to a few very long threads in the Campground forum. So unfortunately we have to lock all threads with more than 25,000 replies, which includes the following:

Klownjaya's sulking thread.... -- 96782 replies
The Lounge™ -- 26571 replies
Sty's Post Count Increaser -- 25993 replies
PeeeGhey Tea shop...less tempting? -- 25029 replies

I've created a new thread (called "PART 2") for the first 3 threads above (which are still active), with a link to the locked PART 1 thread as the opening post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. And congratulations for taking us to the limit. Smile

DDT


(This post was edited by ddt on Oct 5, 2009, 7:16 AM)


imnotclever


Oct 5, 2009, 7:18 AM
Post #2 of 72 (3806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2003
Posts: 10000

Re: [ddt] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IT's all WMD's fault! He couldn't get the loungers to leave for the new spot!!!

And of course, CI is to blame too.


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 72 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [ddt] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Hi everyone,

A few days ago we started noticing severe load issues on Rockclimbing.com with the database server getting overloaded, causing everything to back up and queries to slow way down until the site falls over. We traced the problem to a few very long threads in the Campground forum. So unfortunately we have to lock all threads with more than 25,000 replies, which includes the following:

Klownjaya's sulking thread.... -- 96782 replies
The Lounge™ -- 26571 replies
Sty's Post Count Increaser -- 25993 replies
PeeeGhey Tea shop...less tempting? -- 25029 replies

I've created a new thread (called "PART 2") for the first 3 threads above (which are still active), with a link to the locked PART 1 thread as the opening post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. And congratulations for taking us to the limit. Smile

DDT

No beef with the change. You gotta do what you gotta do but I have one request.

Please transfer the last 200 or so posts from the old thread to the new thread so that conversations (some of which have been going on for days) can continue with out insane copy and paste work.


kachoong


Oct 5, 2009, 7:24 AM
Post #4 of 72 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That new pop-up ad has got to be a problem with slow performance too, surely!?


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:31 AM
Post #5 of 72 (3780 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
ddt wrote:
Hi everyone,

A few days ago we started noticing severe load issues on Rockclimbing.com with the database server getting overloaded, causing everything to back up and queries to slow way down until the site falls over. We traced the problem to a few very long threads in the Campground forum. So unfortunately we have to lock all threads with more than 25,000 replies, which includes the following:

Klownjaya's sulking thread.... -- 96782 replies
The Lounge™ -- 26571 replies
Sty's Post Count Increaser -- 25993 replies
PeeeGhey Tea shop...less tempting? -- 25029 replies

I've created a new thread (called "PART 2") for the first 3 threads above (which are still active), with a link to the locked PART 1 thread as the opening post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. And congratulations for taking us to the limit. Smile

DDT

No beef with the change. You gotta do what you gotta do but I have one request.

Please transfer the last 200 or so posts from the old thread to the new thread so that conversations (some of which have been going on for days) can continue with out insane copy and paste work.

Better yet. We will create our own thread (one without the nazi stamp on the cover) and you can transfer the posts. Is that possible?


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:32 AM
Post #6 of 72 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or perhaps we'll take this thread. It is nice and roomy in here.


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:33 AM
Post #7 of 72 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if SWA?


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:33 AM
Post #8 of 72 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think he would


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:34 AM
Post #9 of 72 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh and the graphics from the righthand ad bar are still loading all over thread.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 5, 2009, 7:34 AM
Post #10 of 72 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a good idea, and I'm waiting for the go from the man to do it. It's a reasonable request.


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:34 AM
Post #11 of 72 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Oh and the graphics from the righthand ad bar are still loading all over thread.

I think the frequency might actually be increasing.


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:36 AM
Post #12 of 72 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [epoch] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Its a good idea, and I'm waiting for the go from the man to do it. It's a reasonable request.

I think so.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 5, 2009, 7:37 AM
Post #13 of 72 (3754 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It may work like the Google ads and appear more often when words such as Subaru Detergent Clean Ad Annoying Subaru Clean Detergent etc... are used on a page?

Did I help it? Devil


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:37 AM
Post #14 of 72 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
Its a good idea, and I'm waiting for the go from the man to do it. It's a reasonable request.

I think so.

But I'm also starting to feel the love for this place.


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:37 AM
Post #15 of 72 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
Its a good idea, and I'm waiting for the go from the man to do it. It's a reasonable request.

I think so.

But I'm also starting to feel the love for this place.

Will have to talk to the committee and see what they think.


kachoong


Oct 5, 2009, 7:38 AM
Post #16 of 72 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Oh and the graphics from the righthand ad bar are still loading all over thread.

I think the frequency might actually be increasing.

Yeah, I've been getting two on a page at the same time! Crikey!!!!!


notapplicable


Oct 5, 2009, 7:40 AM
Post #17 of 72 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [epoch] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
It may work like the Google ads and appear more often when words such as Subaru Detergent Clean Ad Annoying Subaru Clean Detergent etc... are used on a page?

Did I help it? Devil

No, I actually haven't seen that one yet.

For some reason the pics and text from the "sale" items over there>>> keep loading about 3 inches to the left and land just over top of the "checkspelling" and "post reply" button.


prick


Oct 5, 2009, 7:49 AM
Post #18 of 72 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 16, 2009
Posts: 45

Re: [ddt] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes a stray, long thread will be dangling from a shirt sleeve and thus distract me from whatever it is I'm doing. I can see how it could cause performance issues with some people.


clausti


Oct 5, 2009, 7:59 AM
Post #19 of 72 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Posts: 5690

Re: [epoch] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
It may work like the Google ads and appear more often when words such as Subaru Detergent Clean Ad Annoying Subaru Clean Detergent etc... are used on a page?

Did I help it? Devil

it's been double splooging all over mytopics page all morning with no subaru references. i don't think it's that picky.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 5, 2009, 8:02 AM
Post #20 of 72 (3721 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [clausti] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
epoch wrote:
It may work like the Google ads and appear more often when words such as Subaru Detergent Clean Ad Annoying Subaru Clean Detergent etc... are used on a page?

Did I help it? Devil

it's been double splooging all over mytopics page all morning with no subaru references. i don't think it's that picky.
Damn...


Arrogant_Bastard


Oct 5, 2009, 8:39 AM
Post #21 of 72 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [ddt] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like there's nothing to do now but go back to causing trouble.


Arrogant_Bastard


Oct 5, 2009, 8:40 AM
Post #22 of 72 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [epoch] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Its a good idea, and I'm waiting for the go from the man to do it. It's a reasonable request.

Hey look, mini-DDT is talking.


wanderlustmd


Oct 5, 2009, 9:55 AM
Post #23 of 72 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 8149

Re: [ddt] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried.


kriso9tails


Oct 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #24 of 72 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2001
Posts: 7764

Re: [notapplicable] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I wonder if SWA?

I couldn't figure out what that meant until just now. I was just too lazy to search and too proud to ask before... or something.


snoopy138


Oct 5, 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #25 of 72 (3636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 7, 2004
Posts: 28811

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Long threads and performance issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Looks like there's nothing to do now but go back to causing trouble.

yep, just going to have to figure owt what to penerate.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook