Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climbinganne

Dec 3, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Southeast Gathering = Southern Comfort
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoot...i wrote a big post out...and you all know what happened hahahahah....SHOOT!!!!

so i am going to give you the short version

here is the biggest group shot i have so far

shannon, jen, andrew, glen, jon, jeff, mike and ashley and me

glen, jon, becca, eric, anne, jeff, and mike

arrived first on thursday biggernhell came soon after i unloaded the car

and tradpuppy was right behind him

...we set up camp, put the kids to sleep IN SLEEPING BAGS...ahem...and i froze all night

but the fire was good....

so the next day...with NO sleep...(rubs it deeper... ) timhink, mike, and furryfrisbee arive. funny thing with these southern boys...takes em a lonnnnng ass time to get to the crag, but once you are there...wow, you climb your butt off...and y'all sent me home to a bath and bengay...

tim and his friends went to rocktown met up with glen and the rest of us headed to lostwall, except for mike...who flew back home to get some needed sleeping gear.

at the wall...hmmm...i climbed a lot
hahahahaha...i dont have the guide book it is still in the car (rodney spanks me for being too lazy)...thought y'all would say what we climbed...im sure jeff knows exactly what we all did!!!

gosh jen_c and her husband shannon showed up

then pinnaclechick and deafclimber...

two others i forget...my bad, hail they couldnt even remember their own username

fanederhand did climb with a full rack....even on top rope...GOT TO STAY IN SHAPE!!!

and yevquest

we all hung ropes and climbed until dark go rodney!!!

gosh andrews shoes...thanks rodney, really showed off the boot training ive given him...

gosh y'all need to let me know which of those routes he did...i need to start keeping track of them...while i can still remember every send!!!

biggernhell, furryfrisbee and andrew

jen_c climbing, pinnaclechick belaying...damn fine belayer she is too!!!!

dont worry ladies...he got some good ones of mine too...

and deafclimber...

and thats enough butt shots for one day....

friday night..mike fried us up a turkey!!!!

xcel360 showed up...gosh am i forgeting anyone???

all i can say is that turkey did not die in vain...that sucker was damn tasty!!!!
ashley thought it was great too

who was feeding my son beer???

M'kay, brent that man did have A talant besides climbing, you know!!!

saturday morning it was rough getting outta those 6 sleeping bags that arrived mysteriously in the hilton sized tent..ahem...no, sorrrrrrryyyyy...my castle hahahahahahah thanks mike and becca and eric and t-pup for the pad...OH YEAH>>>and jon for the wool blanket(one more )

but once i got up, i was greeted with a beautiful breakfast of french toast and sausage orange juice and choice of hot chocolate or starbucks morning blend coffee...thanks becca and eric!!!!!

some ppl tried the "snackline"

biggernhell was AWESOME on the "snackline"
i know we have pictures of him with his boots on!!!

around noon....which now convinced me this is how it works here...we get to rocktown...yes call me boulderinganne now..hehe wow...met up with loads of peeps that day...lj, mikie, simon, derek and michael...we had a blast and biggernhell took a lot of pictures...he was more like photographer_from_hail looking forward to seeing those pictures...NOT!!! some ppl were way to tired from the festivities the night before to boulder...

the other group went to lostwall

me and biggers utah buddy

saturady night the campsite rocked...we laughed and laughed

and made quite a mess...

and sunday we cleaned...

actually i am sure we have some good pictures...hahahahahahaha...so all y'all get your pictures in, and try to be as sweet to your guest from pa as possible

we all said our so-longs on sunday morning...what a wonderful weekend!!!

on sunday the kids, michael, jon, mikie, derek, simon, and i hit lostwall
andrew got all the way up to the crux on guzzler...again, those guys kilt me...

i met such nice ppl everyone of you i adored and the kids too!!

they musta asked a thousand times on the way home when they would see you all again
you were wonderful hosts and hostesses...in my original post i said a few words about each of you...but it took so long to be artfully cleaver and i am rather brain dead at the moment...but realizing y'all move about as slow as molasses in january...i wanted to git this thar thing started...

thank you...i really had the best trip EVER!!!!

XXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO thats from the kids...not from me

looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your stories, you know i have a few myself!!!

and stew...we all missed you but understand...

old friends were finally united

(damn, bigger, we look f---ed up!!!)

and many new friendships were formed

what a wonderful weekend...this smile tells the WHOLE story!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-12-06 03:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2003-01-19 04:30 ]

mike

Dec 3, 2002, 12:03 PM
Post #2 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Southeast Gathering = Southern Comfort [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Friday morning I pulled into the Rocktown campsite to find find Anne and the kids sitting in the fire. Jon and Jeff were perched toward the rising sun like buzzards warming their flight muscles. I surmised the night had been somewhat colder than expected, and Anne confirmed this when she snatched me by the collar and growled "I froze my @ss off last night!". She was pretty strong for a northern girl, and I figured I had better remedy the situation before she took my bag away from me. I flew back home and brought out the down cannons, including a -20 marmot col for Anne. Upon returning I found a couple unpacking a green explorer. "Hello, Becca", I shouted. "How did you know who I was?", she asked. Eric has a green explorer, Eric is her climbing partner, it had to be Becca. That's the nice thing about these internet gatherings, you know the people before you met them. Soon Spence and Alice (number 3 son and girl friend) arrived and a we were off to Lost Wall. Rodney had a TR set up on Steggo, so we stopped there. I climbed, Spence climbed, Alice never climbed, but my harness fit her, and my shoes were close, so she decided to give it a shot. First try she flailed a little and asked to come down. Second try she topped out. Sunday she was in Chattanooga looking at shoes and harnesses. Then it was on down the wall climbing here and there and meeting people. Jen was styling in her Jaguar hat while Shannon stayed up top tending to anchors. Frank never took his 500 lb. rack off, even to TR.
I don't remember much about Friday night, I do remember Jeff and I watching the vat of turkey fry oil bubble and swirl.. It was like a lava lamp. More later.

Partner xcel360

Dec 3, 2002, 1:22 PM
Post #3 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. This was undoubtedly one of the best times I've ever had. Thank you everybody soo much for the hospitality and to all the rocktown locals for showing us/me around.

I arrived on Friday afternoon, and after wandering around the campsite for an hour (unable to find anne's walkie talkie and note) I took off up the road and ran into Mike at Lost Wall. I said hello to him and he says to me..."You must be the Florida boy". Am I really that obvious???

I eventually end up in Rocktown bouldering with Timhinck and his buddies. Thanks Tim for showing me around up there, had a wonderful time! Friction was good, but it was pretty cold (well to me it was, thanks for the neck warmer anne!) Then on Saturday Anne and her kids actually went bouldering with Biggernhell, his friends Derek, Mikey, Simon, Michael, Brent, and myself. I got the pictures to prove it!!! Had a great day there, and Anne actually free soloed a slab down by the scoop. Although once we got up we couldn't get down, so thanks for saving us Mikey! What bridge are we gonna go jump off now Anne?

Sunday Morning rolled around however and we all took to long to pack up and get up to Lost Wall, so I had to bail out for the day and fight traffic for 14 hours back to Florida. I'll post some pics of the weekend later when I go get them developed. Again, thanks everybody: Jeff, Mike, Rebecca, Eric, Jen, Shannon, John, Anne, Brent, Frank, plus everyone else I met, and I'm sure our paths might cross again someday.

[ This Message was edited by: xcel360 on 2002-12-03 05:35 ]

pinnaclechick

Dec 3, 2002, 2:19 PM
Post #4 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I just spent about 30 minutes whipping up an entertaining chain of events (and I'm sure it lacked the most interesting events, since Eric and I were the first to crash both nights) .. but..

Technology sucks.

So I'll dig into my notes and write 'BECCA'S VERSION' later!!!

Some memorable moments:

*Mike pulling into camp Friday afternoon in his version of a 'monster truck': a Toyota Sequoia. Dang Mike, you don't even want to KNOW what I was expecting!!
*Young fresh-faced lad hiking back and forth through the camp as Eric and I unpacked on Friday.. a tiny voice in my head told me it *could* be a lost hiker, but he walked with SUCH PURPOSE over the trails, and over..and over.. and over.. found out later it was Glen, looking for some rocks to climb.
*Making it up the 5.8 Guzzler in record time with Anne belaying, feeling confident with her cheery voice below me and the knowledge that she'd surely kick my ass if I completed it in less than perfect fashion..
*Feasting on Tom Turkey, starved-camper fashion..
*Waking up at 3 am Saturday morning for a 'walk' in the woods, and noticing that the camp fire was still a-blazin'.
*Frantically trying to unthaw a gallon of frozen solid milk to complete my French Toast recipe..
*Mike's limp
*Jeff's Starbucks with Becca's frozen, clotted 1/2&1/2 (sorry)
*Wonderful, awesome climbing on Saturday, and the realization that my partner, though a beautiful climber, is most definately horizontally challenged..
*A beautiful, happy 3-year old sitting on my lap in the firelight, gazing up at the stars and singing lullabys..
*Anne's hugs

..more to come..

[ This Message was edited by: pinnaclechick on 2002-12-03 06:42 ]

climbinganne

Dec 3, 2002, 2:30 PM
Post #5 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoot happened to me last night...it was BRILLIANT!!!!!

tradpuppy

Dec 3, 2002, 2:30 PM
Post #6 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I had time to write something now, but I'm in the process of trying to get 9th graders to do something besides dream between T-giving and Christmas. I'm having a tough time myself. I want Christmas break to come, dammit, just like them!
I will have something with pics later...I just don't know how much later.

climbinganne

Dec 3, 2002, 9:32 PM
Post #7 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a twist on becca's memories...

*Making it up the 5.8 Guzzler in record time with Anne belaying, feeling confident with her cheery voice below me and the knowledge that she'd surely kick my ass if I completed it in less than perfect fashion..

perfect it was!!!! GO ROCK GIRL!!!

*Feasting on Tom Turkey, starved-camper fashion..

that was turley rape!!!

*Mike's limp - what about his sore ass from falling outta the chair so many times...
and brent got second place in the chair wrestling contest

*Jeff's Starbucks with Becca's frozen, clotted 1/2&1/2 (sorry)

hahahahahaha...i tried to tell him it was curdled...but nooooooooooooo...it was fine, huh jeff

*Anne's hugs ahhhhh...i was just stealing some body heat

things i learned on this trip...

extra sleeping bags are a good thing!!!

the wonders of campfire burning..hail, they taught me to burn bottles cans...toxins...even my BOOTS!!!

that you can be roped up and still need a spotter...

that it isnt uneven terrain, it is me

eric makes a breakfast beverage that rivals rrradams!!!

the more tradpuppy and i drank, the more i understood his accent!!!

biggernhell is the PROFESSIONAL lebanon bologna taco chip maker!!!! dang the dutch up here would be in awe of your technique!!!

fried turkeys dont scream when you submurge them in oral...hahahahahaha, thanks becca!!!

jen taught me so much...but if i shared it with any of them boys, we would have to kill them!!!

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-12-04 06:21 ]

jen_c

Dec 3, 2002, 9:46 PM
Post #8 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we told them, I don't think they would understand!!!

ljthawk

Dec 3, 2002, 9:59 PM
Post #9 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here again.

It was fun running into you guys and camping Saturday night. Wish I would have met up for the Friday night excitement.

L.J.

P.S. Anne, here is the link to the Boat Rock pictures I mentioned. Most of the trash is picked up and we put up a gate to detour future dumping.
http://www.imdl.gatech.edu/ljthawk/boat_rock/

[ This Message was edited by: ljthawk on 2002-12-03 14:01 ]

climbinganne

Dec 4, 2002, 5:54 AM
Post #10 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^look everybody it is lj!!!!

hey buddy welcome to rc.com!!!

we are all glad you joined us saturday night, what fun huh??? next time stick around for dinner!!! thanks for your help (all of you) for helping me dismantle and clean up that palace that i slept in!!

thanks for the link, i will be keeping tabs on that place, thanks for all your hard work and effort!!

would have loved to stay around for the festivities this coming weekend, damn responsibilities

Partner xcel360

Dec 4, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #11 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey LJ, welcome to the site!

Well here are some of the photos I have. It ends up I really didn't take that many. Here is one of Anne bouldering at the scoop. Yes I know, Anne actually bouldered!!

Here is Brent and John bouldering on Police Brutality. Love the expression on John's face!

And here is Anne and John toproping one that wall behind the Comet boulder.

That's about all I have for now, I might get some more up later. I'm really wishing I was back there climbing now...

pinnaclechick

Dec 4, 2002, 4:56 PM
Post #12 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are good pics, Glen -

LJ, are you going to Boat Rock this weekend?

-B

tradpuppy

Dec 4, 2002, 7:24 PM
Post #13 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! I want you to know that was MY Lebanon Bologna/lard chips taco in that pic!
(the socks give it away!)

climbinganne

Dec 4, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #14 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahahaha...i know it was you jeff...but i didn't get a picture of jon's taco!!!!

NICE PICTURES GLEN!!!!!

and i sent that boulder problem!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!hahahahahahahaha

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-12-04 12:49 ]

pinnaclechick

Dec 4, 2002, 8:47 PM
Post #15 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just glad Jeff didn't say 'something else' gave it away!

climbinganne

Dec 4, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #16 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahahahaha...im right there with you girl!!!

crotch shots and ass shots...

tradpuppy

Dec 4, 2002, 8:54 PM
Post #17 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad I didn't say that, too!
Also, those are grubby old guy hands, not the hands of a youngun' like Jonny-Cakes.
But, he had a great taco.

ljthawk

Dec 4, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #18 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, both Brent and I, as well as some other friends, will be at the BR comp. I probably won't be competing since I will be helping out. I'll actually be there Friday to help Brad set up. I've got two barrels to turn into burn barrels to warm our hands while congregating at the announcement area.

I e-mailed defclimber, but haven't heard back.

I'm sure most of you know, but for those that don't check out

www.seclimbers.org

for more info on the Bouldering comp.

L.J.

climbinganne

Dec 4, 2002, 9:01 PM
Post #19 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got my pictures back today too..i need to download them to mikes page....mine doesnt stay up long enough for y'all to view them and the kids took some great shots!!!!

someone that knows anything about a computer...HELP!!!!!!!

hey mike i emailed them all to you

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-12-04 13:32 ]

pinnaclechick

Dec 4, 2002, 9:46 PM
Post #20 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool LJ, yes Eric and I talked about going (er.. to watch, of course)..
Oh yeah, frozen digits, hard, cruel granite.. I wouldn't miss it!

Anne, I'm not great with computers.. I just call the i/t guys when mine blows up.. or bang on it..that seems to help.. I've gone through 3 mouses and 4 keyboards...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

climbinganne

Dec 5, 2002, 1:38 AM
Post #21 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here is a shot that deafclimber took...

GLEN, IS THAT A HAIR NET YOU ARE WEARING???

LJ...what the hail kinda wrastlin move are you about to make on becca???

**had to close my eyes in this picture**

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-12-04 17:40 ]

deafclimber

Dec 5, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #22 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can check on these pixes at se gathering

http://razeberry.com/segathering/

[ This Message was edited by: deafclimber on 2002-12-04 18:20 ]

pinnaclechick

Dec 5, 2002, 1:42 AM
Post #23 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA *snort!*.. oops, scuse me.. it DOES look that way doesn't it?

Ok, TO BE FAIR, I was the one that Grabbed him and pulled him into the picture.. don't you see his 'deer in the headlights' expression?!

[ This Message was edited by: pinnaclechick on 2002-12-04 17:43 ]

climbinganne

Dec 5, 2002, 1:48 AM
Post #24 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think he likes it!!!!

pinnaclechick

Dec 5, 2002, 1:52 AM
Post #25 of 64 (7843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I look taller than Anne, I look taller than Anne!!
Anne was actually asleep in that picture, we just propped her up..

(looks like one heck of a dream, Anne!)

[ This Message was edited by: pinnaclechick on 2002-12-04 17:55 ]

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook