Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Visiting Virginia for a few days - would like to climb!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

KiriG

Oct 11, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #1 of 2 (3196 views)
Shortcut

Visiting Virginia for a few days - would like to climb!  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi
I'm travelling in the US for a couple of months, and I'm missing going climbing
:o( Would really like to do some while I'm in Virginia, would anyone like to take me out and show me their local area? I'll be in Charlottesville on the 13th/14th, and then I'm not sure - looking for suggestions of where to stay (I don't have a car, so am going by train/bus) Would like to see some of the Appalachian trail area, and then probably go through Richmond/maybe Wiliamsburg area on way down to North Carolina. If anyone has any time to go out over the next week or so in any of these (vague! or nearby) areas, I'd be keen to hear from you. I'd like to do bouldering or top-roping or seconding (haven't done much lead yet and it was a while ago!) would even do indoors if that was all that was on offer.
Thanks!

notapplicable

Oct 12, 2009, 3:54 AM
Post #2 of 2 (3150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KiriG] Visiting Virginia for a few days - would like to climb! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The closest rock to Charlottsville is Old Rag mountain. The approach is 1.5 hours and fairly steep but it sounds like you're looking to do some hiking so I assume thats not a problem. The climbing is the best in VA and as an added bonus, it's one of the most scenic hikes in the state. Win/Win.
Route info here>> http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rn/Old_Rag_Mountain/

I can make it out on Wednesday if you don't mind the hike and are up for some trad. What grades are you comfortable following?

Your profile says you are not familiar with our grading system so this conversion chart might help>> http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Conversions_529.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook