RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

psecody

Oct 18, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Designing a home bouldering wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all, I've recently decided to build a home wall and have been drawing up plans but I kind of wanted some input from someone else who has their own wall and kind of knows more of what it will be like.

*I apologize in advance for my shitty sketchup skills, I'm kind of learning as I go.

The wall is 8' wide and starts with a 6" 90* base then goes to a 4' section set at 75* then an 8' section set at 60* then the last 4' is 45*. Any thoughts on this setup angles wise? I'm currently working on how the frame is going to be supported. I think I'm going to build the support structure all behind the wall. Another thing I think I'm going to do is instead of framing it out of 2x4's I'm going to use purlin because it would be easier, stronger, and cheaper.

Well thats all I got right now, what do ya'll think? I'll update this as I progress on the wall though it will be quite a while before I'll be able to start the building process (due to me being 2 1/2 hours away at college and not having the funds at the moment). I hope to have it done by summer though because my friends that I regularly climb with and I will all be home for the summer and its a 2 hour drive in any direction to get to ANY climbing so having a place to climb in the afternoons will be great.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psecody] Designing a home bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming you are going to use 3/4" plywood...

You don't need any of those cross-members in your framing, as the 3/4" will be plenty strong without them. If I were you, with somehting that size, I would use
2 x 6's soft pine centered on 24", as that would give it extra strength, as well as giving you much more meat to attach your supports to.

And for the support, check what I did on my small overhang for ideas:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2143844#2143844

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 20, 2009, 12:24 AM)

psecody

Oct 20, 2009, 2:11 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Designing a home bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, I was actually wondering about that, thanks for the reply. Do you think those angles are too much for just general climbing? I like overhung stuff but I wasn't really sure. I just knew I didn't want 45* up the whole way.

As for the framing I've decided to us purlin instead of wood because while I am a good welder woodwork pissed me off. Purlin would be strong enough to not need near as many studs (I think I'll just have you use like 3 studs per section and it'll be cheaper.

As for the frame I was planning on using 4 4" pieces of pipe cemented 3' in the ground, or just 2 6" poles then weld struts over to the frame.

rschap

Oct 20, 2009, 4:03 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It’s good you’re not just going with a 45 deg wall. I think the more features you put into your wall the longer it will take to get bored with it. You can also make some moveable pods out of plywood to add feature. I did a self standing steel frame a few years ago, it’s still fun but it’s just not big enough to always be interesting. As for structure, I did two treated 4X4s 42” in the ground with concrete, run up to a 1½”X3 steel channel across the top it spans 8’ and doesn’t flex at all with my 225lbs on it. I have a slightly different design though.

Attachments: IMG_3096.JPG (43.2 KB)
  IMG_3097.JPG (46.9 KB)

rspence

Oct 20, 2009, 4:13 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going with steel you should have it rolled and do a nice continuous curve. Have a look at the photos here:

http://www.verticalsolns.com/...nce/summerOR2008.php

You can bend the 3/4 ply without too much trouble with an 16' radius or larger. For training 30-45 degrees works well. Good luck with your project.

-Ryan

tslater

Oct 20, 2009, 4:46 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rspence] Designing a home bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring it outside and keep it natural...

http://www.slatervision.com/id22.html

I got sponsored for holds and did the whole thing with 100 holds for $150 (mainly building supplies).

Not as much variety as a bigger wall, but I get the same outcome...
PUMP.

ryanb

Oct 20, 2009, 5:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (4700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those angles seem okay, having the whole thing concave like that is going to limit the types of moves you are going to be able to do...on real rock (particularly boulder problems) the crux of a steep route will often involve getting over to a buldge or convex corner onto less steep ground.

Id's say that you will need some sort of vertical framing unless you do a particularly good job supporting the sides along their full length (which you should)...plywood is not really structural in that way. Look into specs for floor joists To get an idea of what size beams you will need to use to span various lengths.

Since it sounds like you are a metal worker you might consider using steel pipe, hinges and scaffolding clamps to make an articulated variable angle wall like this one a friend and I build a while back:

http://www.flickr.com/...619967273034/detail/

(This post was edited by ryanb on Oct 20, 2009, 5:14 AM)

william.alan.swanson

Oct 20, 2009, 7:43 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius has a pretty awesome how-to guide on this: http://metoliusclimbing.com/how-to-guides.html
Good luck!

(This post was edited by william.alan.swanson on Oct 20, 2009, 10:27 AM)

psecody

Oct 21, 2009, 5:04 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [william.alan.swanson] Designing a home bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm I might have to try that adjustable wall idea. It's either that or replace the second 60* angle with a 90* face up to the 45*. I would like to keep the 8' at 60* but that would be bordering on top rope sized wall which is still not totally out of the question because I was going to put an anchor at the top anyway so my little brother could climb on it with a rope. Thanks for the ideas guy.

I haven't had a computer for like the last 4 days because I left the charger at home, been having to do all my posts on my phone but now that I've got it back I'm going to try and re-do the design and add the proper bracing and add the support structure.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook