RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

shimanilami

Oct 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4574 views)
Shortcut

Best size Link cam to fix on aider?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On the last wall I climbed, I tied a sling with a cam hook and a rivet hanger to the top of each aider. It sped things up (i.e. not needing to unrack/attach/unattach/rerack these pieces each time). I've considered attaching a few cams to the sling as well, but it seemed like a CF with too many pieces hanging off the top of each aider.

Along comes the Link cam. I'm considering putting one of these on each aider.

First question: bad idea?

Next question: having never used a Link cam or seen one in action, I have no idea which one would be most useful. Which is the best size for aiding? [Note - I'd never leave them as pro, since they are basically fixed to the aider, and since I've got plenty of other crap for pro.]

healyje

Oct 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Best size Link cam to fix on aider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about a 'bad' idea, but you'd just want to be careful that you're not torquing them sideways very much in the process. Probably great for clean crack jumaring, less so for strange seams where you can't get a clean, straight lineup between the link cam shaft and the line of the loaded aider.

What's the worst that could happen...?

moose_droppings

Oct 17, 2009, 2:59 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
On the last wall I climbed, I tied a sling with a cam hook and a rivet hanger to the top of each aider. It sped things up (i.e. not needing to unrack/attach/unattach/rerack these pieces each time). I've considered attaching a few cams to the sling as well, but it seemed like a CF with too many pieces hanging off the top of each aider.

Along comes the Link cam. I'm considering putting one of these on each aider.

First question: bad idea?

Next question: having never used a Link cam or seen one in action, I have no idea which one would be most useful. Which is the best size for aiding? [Note - I'd never leave them as pro, since they are basically fixed to the aider, and since I've got plenty of other crap for pro.]

I also tie an few common used aid tools on a piece of webbing and clip then to my aider biner. They're only clipped there if I know ahead that they'll be needed a lot on that pitch. As far as it being a bad idea of having a cam on there and what size, to me I'd need to look up the next pitch to decide if they will be used
enough to want them that handy. They'd really have to be necessary for that pitch to want them dangling there.

tomtom

Oct 17, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Best size Link cam to fix on aider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
I don't know about a 'bad' idea, but you'd just want to be careful that you're not torquing them sideways very much in the process. Probably great for clean crack jumaring, less so for strange seams where you can't get a clean, straight lineup between the link cam shaft and the line of the loaded aider.

What type of cam is this not true about?

healyje

Oct 17, 2009, 4:08 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] Best size Link cam to fix on aider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty much any cam outside of the Link Cam, Max Cam, or rigid friends - they're the only ones I'd think twice about in this application.

tomtom

Oct 17, 2009, 5:49 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Best size Link cam to fix on aider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Metolius TCUs also belong on your list. U stems load the head of the cam asymmetrically creating additional torque.

What's the worst that could happen?

shimanilami

Oct 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] Best size Link cam to fix on aider? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since most tweaky placements are with small stuff, I suppose I'd want to avoid the little Link cams. It sounds like the biggest Link cam makes the most sense, especially since I'll have a cam hook fixed in place as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Partner pbcowboy77

Oct 20, 2009, 5:18 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red Link Cam...

I do that all the time. Great when you get into a splitter crack, almost as fast as free climbing the thing...

One thing... Make sure you leave pro every once in a while. You'd be amazed at how far you'll run it out while your going fast doing this.

Also check out this...

http://www.climbing.com/...t/techtips/ttaid219/

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook