Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Oct 18, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #151 of 175 (12884 views)
Shortcut

Re: Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just spoke to Vanessa for a bit. She's a strong spirit but as Gail pointed out she's all alone in Philadelphia. Her father flew back home to deal with some business. She's out of ICU and in a rehab ward, starting to do initial PT. She can use all the support you folks can lend her!

DMT

gblauer

Oct 19, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #152 of 175 (12791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went visit Vanessa today. Just as Dingus pointed out, she is now on a rehab floor.

She looked amazing, it's been a week since I have seen her and she is really moving well. Despite the broken sternum (yeah, I just heard about that), hip/pelvis, arm and back she is really moving around (transferring from bed to wheelchair) rather well.

She still has a long way to go, it will be between 3-6 months until she can put any weight on her leg and the same amount of time her back (she has to wear a big, hard shell back brace),

PM me if you would like her cell. She is missing her Dad and was teary when we talked about his departure.

timstich

Oct 22, 2009, 3:59 AM
Post #153 of 175 (12680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading this really puts a lump in my throat. I spent a semester in Philadelphia in 1986 and had some pretty bad times there. I just wanted to let Vanessa know I was thinking of her tonight and wished her well. Get strong and take care.

-Tim

gimmeslack

Oct 29, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #154 of 175 (12524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
Reading this really puts a lump in my throat. I spent a semester in Philadelphia in 1986 and had some pretty bad times there. I just wanted to let Vanessa know I was thinking of her tonight and wished her well. Get strong and take care.

-Tim

Would she be able to use a notebook/web-book if we got her one?

(This post was edited by gimmeslack on Oct 29, 2009, 3:05 PM)

gblauer

Nov 1, 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #155 of 175 (12445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gimmeslack] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We are checking into this now. Her father will let us know. Thanks!

dingus

Nov 1, 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #156 of 175 (12396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update: I just spoke to Vanessa on the phone. First all she sounds much better than last time we spoke (She had come out of surgery the day prior to the last call).

She can get around on her own now for important functions like eating, bathing, bathroom etc. Huge progress, that.

She has months of rehab facing her and a mountain of bills and no clear way to pay them, however. This was a life-altering event - she's going to need her support team for a long time to come.

She told me many climbers have visited her there in the hospital, most of whom she didn't know. And many more have called her.

YOU PEOPLE ROCK!

Thank you for Vanessa. Keep looking and asking after her. Now that the dust has settled she has to be beating herself up pretty bad about all this. Can't go down that road, trust me!

So hearing from and seeing kindred spirits is hugely important... keep up the good work.

You GO Vanessa. Work that PT till you want to scream! Then rest up and do it again. You've already been through the worst of it.

Thinking of you
DMT

gblauer

Nov 1, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #157 of 175 (12378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vanessa has a lap top now. I will try and get her email address.

notapplicable

Nov 1, 2009, 9:22 PM
Post #158 of 175 (12352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you please pm it to me when/if you do.

Thanks

socalclimber

Nov 2, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #159 of 175 (12290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spoke with her as well. Good news about her continued recovery!

gblauer

Nov 12, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #160 of 175 (12164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Vanessa has a PC...PM me if you would like her email address.

She is doing much better, expected to be released from the hospital by thanksgiving. She needs her arm out of the cast so that she can use crutches or a walker.

moose_droppings

Nov 12, 2009, 5:27 AM
Post #161 of 175 (12150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

Since she's got a PC maybe we can keep this somewhat on top so she can read that were all thinking about her and hoping for the best outcome possible for her.

Positive thoughts for you Vanessa.

timstich

Nov 13, 2009, 4:40 AM
Post #162 of 175 (12065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got off the phone with Vanessa. What a nice conversation, and so unexpected. I had called last week, but she had a visitor. It turns out it was the friend she had gone to Philly to see, so he was able to come see her at the rehab hospital frequently. Her pop came out for three weeks right after the accident and her brother came twice from Georgia.

None the less, it's still been tough being alone in a strange place and messed up to boot. But Vanessa was so cheerful and upbeat on the phone, you would never guess that.

We talked about all sorts of things. I shared my days just out of high school living in Philly and being a bit overwhelmed there. I ran down the list of other injured climbers recovering right now, like Marty Karabin, and some that have long since gotten back to climbing and their lives, like ryhang. Oh, and that Dingus guy. He got messed up BITD as I recall!

I'll definitely be calling again to see when she gets released, which hopefully will be before Thanksgiving. Vanessa really appreciates all of the calls and messages she has gotten from you all. It makes it a lot less dull around the ward. Ha.

Also, since I have never spoken to Dingus over the phone or met him in person, I had to ask her if he sounded like he was nutty. You know, I don't think she answered the question! I guess it can't be explained, like the Matrix; you have to experience it for yourself.

(This post was edited by timstich on Nov 13, 2009, 4:43 AM)

dingus

Nov 13, 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #163 of 175 (12029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spent time in Philli didjya Tim? I worked for a Philly firm for right at a decade. I never lived there but visited plenty. I love Philadelphia, what a cool city.

But you can't tour the city from a hospital bed I'm pretty sure.

Email is working with Vanessa. Hope she gets out of there soon. Keep thinking the positive thoughts my friends.

And no she wouldn't remember stich... the end of each conversation is :

"You will forget the sound of my voice."

"You know I forgot the sound of your voice."

But the Force runs strong on that one.

DMT

Climbhigh1123

Nov 13, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #164 of 175 (11988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes to Vanessa on her recovery! It's great to see how all of us can pull together to help each other in our community, it's very humbling.

ClimbSoHigh

Nov 13, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #165 of 175 (11962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Probably the wrong place for this but it might prevent a future accident. If you are going direct to the anchors with sling, be wary of spectra. You would be fine with a short 6" to 1ft fall as described but keep in mind spectra has no stretch and is quite weak to shock forces. (it is very strong statically however) I see way too many people with a 48" runner to an achor at the gunks, standing on a ledge 4" from the anchor point. They think they are safe, but even a 2 foot fall combined with a sharp edge can break your sling, or at least hurt like a bitch. This is why most retailers add the colored nylon strands to slings to give it some stretch and prevent shock loading. (trad draws are ok as the rope's nylon will stretch dampening the shock loading, but a bolt to a person directly this is not the case) My opinion, use nylon slings, or be extra mindfull when using lighter spectra.

Just some food for thought.

To the victim(s), my heart goes out to you. A couple of times I too almost have become victim of this untill I went to weight the rap and realized I wasnt clipped thought the rope.

My biggest fear is rapping of the end of my rope on single pitch climbs, (my heart goes out to the other climber mentioned, I can't immagine that feeling). I almsot did a while back when a climber happened to walk by and informed me one of my ends was not touching. (I was looking at a 5 foot fall but regardless I wasn't thinking...) You never think to tie knots on single pitch, and many argue it is unnecessary. My idea is don't double check, at least tripple check!

I remember hearing somewhere that the greatest cause of climber deaths is durring a rappel. It is fun when it goes right, but can go wrong very easily.

Once again my heart goes out to all involved, and thanks to all that helped this person.

gblauer

Nov 14, 2009, 1:37 AM
Post #166 of 175 (11917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A setback for Vanessa

They were going to release her as soon as her arm could support her weight (crutches or walker).

But, now, they have discovered a problem in her arm that will require surgery. This will set her release date back significantly.

She is understandably upset.

Reach out to her if you can.

PM me for her email address and/or phone number.

timstich

Nov 15, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #167 of 175 (11855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, they fixed the problem with her arm. In any case, she will probably be released as scheduled and can spend Thanksgiving with her brother and his family, which of course rocks. Dad will then help out after that.

So if you call in a few weeks, she may not even be in the rehab place anymore. Cool

(This post was edited by timstich on Nov 15, 2009, 10:08 PM)

dingus

Nov 16, 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #168 of 175 (11827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
OK, they fixed the problem with her arm. In any case, she will probably be released as scheduled and can spend Thanksgiving with her brother and his family, which of course rocks. Dad will then help out after that.

So if you call in a few weeks, she may not even be in the rehab place anymore. Cool

Great news thanks for the update!

DMT

gblauer

Nov 24, 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #169 of 175 (11704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vanessa has been released from the hospital and is now in Georgia with her brother. Woohoo!

milesenoell

Nov 24, 2009, 2:28 AM
Post #170 of 175 (11693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Vanessa has been released from the hospital and is now in Georgia with her brother. Woohoo!

Excellent!

Thanks for keeping up with this gblauer. I find myself thinking about Vanessa rather frequently.

moose_droppings

Nov 24, 2009, 3:37 AM
Post #171 of 175 (11666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear that. Out in time to be with family for Thanksgiving.
I'd bet she's elated as can be expected.
woot woot

lilnesscapades

Nov 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #172 of 175 (11577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello all! this is vanessa, the one who fell at birdsboro. for some reason, i couldn't figure out how to post a message so i just thought i would respond to gail's post.

gail is most definitely a rock star and i appreciate all of her efforts to keep my spirits up during this extremely tough time. it's good to see familiar names on this forum of folks who called and/or stopped by the hospital.

anyway, i just wanted to say thanks to everyone. i'll try to keep in touch on here but i'm a little bit better with email. i read a lot of the post and just can't believe all of the support that is out there and i didn't even know it!:)

love and hugs to you all! and happy thanksgiving!:) i'm glad to be safe and sound at my brother's but am aching to get back to my place in dc and back out on the rocks asap!

i saw some peeps who wrote about depression and bad dreams and such like... yeah, all that stuff pretty much happened and keeps happening, but i am totally getting through it and just keeping my eye on the prize of getting better.

later,

ness

BeL1Eve

Nov 25, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #173 of 175 (11565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lilnesscapades] Major Accident on the zorro face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So glad to hear you're in good such good spirits!

I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving with your brother, and get back on the mend quickly!

dingus

Nov 25, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #174 of 175 (11545 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lilnesscapades wrote:
hello all! this is vanessa, the one who fell at birdsboro. for some reason, i couldn't figure out how to post a message so i just thought i would respond to gail's post.

gail is most definitely a rock star and i appreciate all of her efforts to keep my spirits up during this extremely tough time. it's good to see familiar names on this forum of folks who called and/or stopped by the hospital.

anyway, i just wanted to say thanks to everyone. i'll try to keep in touch on here but i'm a little bit better with email. i read a lot of the post and just can't believe all of the support that is out there and i didn't even know it!:)

love and hugs to you all! and happy thanksgiving!:) i'm glad to be safe and sound at my brother's but am aching to get back to my place in dc and back out on the rocks asap!

i saw some peeps who wrote about depression and bad dreams and such like... yeah, all that stuff pretty much happened and keeps happening, but i am totally getting through it and just keeping my eye on the prize of getting better.

later,

ness

You're strong Vanessa, even when you're down. You've put the worst of it behind you. I'm very happy for you that you're out of the hospital. Thanks for posting here.

Talk to you soon,

DMT

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 25, 2009, 6:14 AM
Post #175 of 175 (11515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lilnesscapades wrote:

And your example of courage and resolve is support for all of us. Best wishes as you continue on the path to recovery.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook