RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Joe_Nobody

Oct 20, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Wrist - Torn lunotriquetral ligament
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,

Major bummer. I have a partial tear of the lunotriquetral ligament in my left wrist. It's put a major damper on my season and I was wondering if anybody has any personal experience with a similar injury? My injury occurred while bouldering. Forced ulnar deviation followed by a strange out of place sensation and pain in deviated and rotated wrist postures.. mostly at the end range of motion only. I was still climbing pretty hard on it for a few months after the initial injury and prior to the diagnosis. An original MRI failed to identify an issue. This was followed by a MR arthrogram which suggested a partial tear in said ligament. I've been off climbing since July (when it was diagnosed) and in a thermoplastic molded brace for about a month awaiting my next appointment. They mentioned the next step would be steroid injection followed by arthroscopic surgery to clean up the area should splinting and steroid treatment prove unsuccessful. Anybody?

Thanks in advance.
Joe_Nobody.

PS - Any other tips on how I can fill the major void left in my life are also welcome.. ; )

chilli

Jul 9, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Joe_Nobody] Wrist - Torn lunotriquetral ligament [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

this a copy of the PM i sent to joe_nobody placed here for public access...
"obviously i haven't been on the site in a while, so any reply at this point may be useless to you, but hopefully it will be of some sort of use...
i was given a brace (rigid brace for a couple of weeks then soft brace) and told to stay off of the wall for at least a month for re-check, which i did. then was told if it was feeling better, to climb lightly.
in order to avoid strain on the joint, i wore the rigid brace while climbing for a long time (a few months) and stayed away from slopers and large pinches (crimps seemed to be OK).
then i tried taking the brace off for some sessions. i sort of played it by feel, meaning whenever it felt the lest bit ouchy, i stopped for the day and wore the brace for the next session. this went on for maybe a month or two. during that time i made sure to stay away from NSAIDs during climbing so that i was fully aware of any pain/discomfort in the area.
i have now been back to complete strength for a while and my wrist gives me virtually no problems (occasionally there's a slight twinge at which point i reorient the move to be nicer to the joint).

sorry if this reply was too terribly late, but hopefully it may offer some help."

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook